Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uses of Elemental effects
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
pestulens
Simple, what are the uses people have found for the elemental effects. Non-Magic sources are fine but the questuon is mostly about magic.

Has anywone found a use for the acid spells (besides flavor for toxic shamans)?
bibliophile20
Yes; you toss it on the street and ruin the tires of the go-gangers chasing you. It also makes a nice mess out of critical computer systems and is a great way to intimidate and interrogate someone--just cast the spell closer and closer to their face (or other valued body part)...
TheOOB
Acid spells, while not too effective agienst enemies, is the king of causing collateral damage to objects. A good toxic wave spell will melt tires, destroy computers, ruin weapons, evaporate armor, and cause everything else to be reduced to a messy sludge. Plus, unlike fire, acid damage is easily contained and won't spread out from the point of orgin.

Like all elemental spells, the acid spells are more like a magician's swiss army knife then awesome combat spells. If you want to kill something, use manabolt/ball (or the power or stun versions), but in certain situations an elemental spell can do a whole lot more, in addition to causing damage.
lorechaser
QUOTE (TheOOB)
Plus, unlike fire, acid damage is easily contained and won't spread out from the point of orgin.

That's the key for me.

It's highly effective, highly contained destruction of evidence.

Things that are destroyed by acid leave behind far less to work with than things destroyed by fire.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of sand.
Garrowolf
I had a set of spells that combined the effect of two elemental effects. Earth and Fire to create Lava Flow or Meteor Storms. Acid and Air are nasty together. Ice and Metal sheet to create a slick with small razors in it. Acid and Sand together so that the acid is gummy too. Acid and Fire Flow. Etc.
Thane36425
Cold oriented spells are also easier to control and contain than fire spells and not so messy as acid.

Light spells are very good against vampires and other critters with light allergies.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Thane36425)
Cold oriented spells are also easier to control and contain than fire spells and not so messy as acid.

Light spells are very good against vampires and other critters with light allergies.

But ice spells don't cause collateral damage like acid. For the most part you don't even roll for damage resistance with objects agienst acid, their just gone.
Cold-Dragon
But an ice spell can potentially short out sensitive electrical equipment, with a time delay - chances are there's something running nearby that will warm things up and melt it. Ice spells could also, with some friendly GM creativity approval, be used to restrain enemies by freezing them bodily and to things like the wall or floor. Nothing says "Merry Xmas!" Like frozen feet to the floor and a 3 second grenade! To a limited extent you might even use ice spells to create temporary construction to reach places or create a path - though that one would definitely be more complicated than a basic indirect combat spell.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
To a limited extent you might even use ice spells to create temporary construction to reach places or create a path - though that one would definitely be more complicated than a basic indirect combat spell.

At that point, you might as well name your character Bobby Drake and be done with it. smile.gif
TheOOB
Hmm, once you get to contructing objects with ice you're looking at a new spell rather then your basic indirect combat spells.
Cold-Dragon
I did say that, if not in those words, when I gave the example.

At least I didn't put on a shiny ice coating when I did! ^-^;
TheOOB
I still say that ball lightning is one of the best spells around, a single force 1 blast will likely disable a large group of weak people and machines.
snowRaven
Sound and Smoke for me.

The side-effects to both can be absolutely wonderful alternatives to killing opponents, and enough to turn the tide of a battle even with fairly few net successes when you're up against grunts.

And take a moment or two to think about the following:

Sound Aura, Sound Wall, Smoke Aura, Smoke Wall.

For a cool effect, make spells that combine Electricity and Smoke grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012