Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SmartSpotter(TM)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Looking for input from people with some knowledge of the Fourth Edition Rules and/or Long Range Shooting. So, I was wondering, if there were a smart-scope type of system that would preform some of the targeting assistance that a spotter provides a sniper available in Shadowrun, what benefits would it provide?

Thanks,
AFE nuyen.gif
pestulens
pretty mutch sounds like a smartlink to me.
TheOOB
Hmm, I was thinking of creating a gun mod that uses a sattilite uplink or tiny hover drones to assist in targeting, but the way wireless traffic works now it wouldn't be too useful.
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Is that now officially rules ok in fourth edition? In Third Edition the smartgun system did not work with scopes of any type, so snipers were shit-out-of-luck if they did not have image mag on their eyes. I do not know the fourth edition rules well (one of the reasons for this post) so I was operating under the assumption that scopes were still incompatible. Regardless, is there any home-brew system out there for tactical computer type systems that anyone would like to pass along as I might add that in too.

Thanks
AFE nuyen.gif
The Jopp
MCT Fly-Spy Drone

Outfit the drone with a smartgun link and all the sensor add-ons you can get.

The drone will use its smartlink and range finding equipment and target objects not in your direct view but the location of the target behind a wall for example will still be presented in your POV since the output from the drones smartlink will present targeting data in your vision and cross reference it with your smartlinks data.
Ed_209a
Perhaps you can use fly-spy drones with weather packages to sweeten up your ballistic calculation by giving you wind speed & direction, air temp & pressure every 200-300m downrange.

It would be a big help IRL, but I think with the imaging scope rules, It might be under the resolution of the SR4 system.
Moon-Hawk
This definitely sounds useful, but it sounds to me like this is just using AR and a drone spotter to help you with the Perception test to locate your target, not the actual Longarms test to shoot said target.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
This definitely sounds useful, but it sounds to me like this is just using AR and a drone spotter to help you with the Perception test to locate your target, not the actual Longarms test to shoot said target.

Help from AR can give a dicepool between +1 to +3 so a full 3D and targetting including full sensor coverage from a drone might be helpful.
Moon-Hawk
My thoughts exactly. A good setup like this could absolutely give the maximum +3 AR bonus for perception tests to acquire targets.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 21 2007, 02:14 PM)
My thoughts exactly.  A good setup like this could absolutely give the maximum +3 AR bonus for perception tests to acquire targets.

A, but you are not thinking outside the box here. First you find your target by visual aid from the drone, the spotter – THEN you add Augmented Reality bonuses. Why?

The drone gives a full 3D live image overlay on top of your visual field, showing your targets movement in real time walking inside a building for example. Your AR vision shows the probable path of your bullet to the wall and then from that wall to the cross hair of your drones targeting the target.

The building can be made virtually (no pun intended) invisible through AR vision and clever use with Edit program and Wallspace.

Aiming at the target whi is behind the wall will be no problem because you CAN see him as long as the drone does.

You would still have to shoot through a barrier (the wall) but you would see the target for more than just perception tests as seeing the target through AR vision helps aiming as well.

Not to mention that blind fire is a moot point since you SEE the target through the wall.
Moon-Hawk
Sure, but letting you see them so that you don't have to use blind fire isn't giving a bonus, it's avoiding a penalty.
If you really want to give a bonus give +1. That's a total of the +3 maximum augmented reality bonus. +2 from the smartlink (if that's not an AR bonus I don't know what is) and +1 from whatever you feel justifies it.

Ignoring the blind fire penalties isn't the same thing as giving a bonus. It's close, but at least in my mind not the same thing.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Sure, but letting you see them so that you don't have to use blind fire isn't giving a bonus, it's avoiding a penalty.
If you really want to give a bonus give +1. That's a total of the +3 maximum augmented reality bonus. +2 from the smartlink (if that's not an AR bonus I don't know what is) and +1 from whatever you feel justifies it.

Ignoring the blind fire penalties isn't the same thing as giving a bonus. It's close, but at least in my mind not the same thing.

I wouldn't be that generous, but i would reduce the blind fire penalties with the AR bonus AND the target would get the benefit of reduced power depending on the hardness and amount of barriers he is standing behind.
Lagomorph
To try and answer AFEN's question:

From what I recall in SR4, contacts, glasses and goggles can be outfitted with Smartlink. And I believe that they say that the Smartlink camera on the gun can be outfitted with other vision enhancements, so it should be a piece of cake to have a Scope (specialized glasses that attach to a gun) with Smartlink, or a smartlink with vision mag, which ever way you go about it you should be able to have them both in the same package.

But spotter drones are great also, iBall, fly-spy, mini-blimp all make a great spotter drone. Especially since you can share that data across the team so every one knows where hidden people are.
pestulens
QUOTE (Anythingforenoughnuyen)
Is that now officially rules ok in fourth edition? In Third Edition the smartgun system did not work with scopes of any type, so snipers were shit-out-of-luck if they did not have image mag on their eyes. I do not know the fourth edition rules well (one of the reasons for this post) so I was operating under the assumption that scopes were still incompatible. Regardless, is there any home-brew system out there for tactical computer type systems that anyone would like to pass along as I might add that in too.

Thanks
AFE nuyen.gif

There is nothing in the book witch seas that scops and smartlinks are incompatible, of coerce scopes don't actually do anything. you can get image magnification on a smartlink camera but why wouldn't you get it on whatever you're smartlink is on? its 100 nuyen.gif
Jaid
scopes in SR4 are basically just a monocle that you can attach to a gun conveniently in SR4. it isn't so much that they don't do anything, as it is a matter of you have to put the appropriate vision mods into them for it to do anything... just like goggles, glasses, and contacts.

anyways, i personally would allow some sort of device to allow drones to do teamwork sensor based targetting. a person with that device and a smartlink could theoretically gain the benefits of actively targetting a person with sensors from their drones, imo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012