Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akimbo Consideration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Digital Heroin
Crafting an NPC for an online SR play chatroom I'm in the process of vamping up, and I got to thinking. The character is an Adept, the companywoman described in elsewhere on the boards. She's meant to be silent and very deadly. To that effect, would paired Thunderbolts be too much?

I mean, yes, she'd have to deal with Lone Star, but she's international, very, very international, so it's not always a problem. Even if they harassed her, she's got some pretty potent connections. With intregal laser sites, and the Aptitude edge, she's as good as a Sammie with a Smartlink, better considering the skill boost to Pistols from her adept powers, so maybe it's just a touch of overkill, what with four shots of 12S in a combat turn...

Oooh... so Matrix-like... but is it too much?
Kagetenshi
If you've really got that much recoil compensation... personally I wouldn't go that route, but if you want to...

~J
Digital Heroin
Thunderbolt has no recoil on it's first shot, +4 on it's second... which'd be only a +2 with modifiers, on eight dice (no Karma spent)... not much trouble really... for the amount of lead it spits out...
Kagetenshi
Meesh. I'd forgotten about the Thunderbolt's special recoilness.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
Deadly? yes, Silent? only if your deaf
Shadow
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
She's meant to be silent and very deadly.

How is twin Thunderbolts silent???
Digital Heroin
Silent is her approach. Augmented stealth by adept power, nimble as hell. And she's got another, unique ability. Metamagic granted to her as a wish from the Draco Foundation.

The Thunderbolts are her very deadly. She's got other weapons as well. Silenced pistols, sound supressed SMGs, and of course her own body.
Entropy Kid
Unless you're playing with a house rule allowing laser sight bonuses while dual wielding those things, they don't count if firing both. I personally allow the laser sights to count, same with smartlinks. There's still the +8 recoil (with an additional +2 unless ambidexerity) one the fourth shot though.
Digital Heroin
Hmm... yeah... hell, the ability to fire two from each, ans still have actions left is evil enough... and yes, she's ambidexterous...
The Frumious Bandersnatch
If stealth is her approach, why even bother with Thunderbolts? They're noisy and obnoxious, can ONLY fire in Burst Fire mode, and are hardly worth their cost. Snag a pair of Savalette Guardians and get some recoil mods on them; personalized grip, underbarrel weight, maybe even a new heavy barrel. No recoil on the first BF and only +3 on the second one. Plus you can still use a silencer (only good in SA mode) or sound suppressor (BF mode) for when you need to stay quiet.

Assuming you'd use BF at all, which such a character I kinda doubt -- the silent types would likely prefer something small and concealable. If you want to stick with the heavy weapons, go with something like the Morrissey Alta or even the Elite if you really want something stealthy.
Nevermind
Err, Savalett Guardian does only one Burst each komplex action, or is there a differnce between Arsenal & Cannon Companion?

@Digital Heroine:

As i don't know playstile in this online channel, i can't guess how much overkill this chica is, but i as gm wouldn't allow or use aptitude Gunslinging Adepts, and special Metamagics garanted by the Drako Foundation? What kind of Metamagic & why has DF garanted this Metamagic to here?

For Gunslinging Adepts, do you like Pseudosmartlinked(Laser sight, Aptitiude) always closerange shooting(Mag.3) Supermarksman(+6 die to Pistols) who always shoot first(First strike?). If you dislike them on player side, don't encourage them from NSC side. (Just imho)
Arethusa
No, the Guardian does require a complex action to burst. All of the burst fire pistols are rather quirky, which I like very much.

Incidentally, Thunderbolts are only loud and obnoxious if you have them strapped with Gas Vent 4, which you should. These are not weapons you bring around with you on a daily basis, nor rely on for adaptability in a situation where things have gotten completely fucked and a backup is required. These are handheld assault cannons, plain and simple.

I think allowing the lasersights to benefit both guns is a little screwy, considering how powerful it can be. I do think Smartlink should, however, considering how many other edges adepts get over the rest of the population in this regard. Still, that's up to your GM.

In any case, while this is up to personal preference, if she is what you describe, these guns are absolutely the last pistols she would ever take. The Thunderbolt is a ridiculous, unsubtle monstrosity, and it is hardly the choice of anyone who spends her time being silent, deadly, precise, etc.
TheScamp
As i don't know playstile in this online channel, i can't guess how much overkill this chica is, but i as gm wouldn't allow or use aptitude Gunslinging Adepts, and special Metamagics garanted by the Drako Foundation? What kind of Metamagic & why has DF garanted this Metamagic to here?

It's an NPC, so Digital is the GM, or an authorized representative. Details rarely matter in such a case.
TinkerGnome
Silent but deadly. Dart pistol with cyanide darts. Nothin' says lovin' like 7D damage reduced only by half impact armor. Not to mention that they're pretty quite and very concealable.

Or gamma-scopaline. It's just as bad.
Shockwave_IIc
Well if your gonna go that way, you migt as well go with atropine, if you don't get them first time, the addintional Tn's will, and if that doesn't you will in 15 minutes.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Well if your gonna go that way, you migt as well go with atropine, if you don't get them first time, the addintional Tn's will, and if that doesn't you will in 15 minutes.

Hmm... When I initially read the entry for Atropine, I kind of assumed that it didn't do damage for 15 minutes and just gave you a +1 to TNs and did the damage after 15 minutes. That may not be the case, though.
Kagetenshi
Reminds me of a custom burst-fire dartgun I made once. I scrapped the gun after I nearly killed (killed, not rendered unconscious) a team of runners using three skilled operatives with these dartguns loaded with narcoject.

~J
Kurukami
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Hmm... yeah... hell, the ability to fire two from each, ans still have actions left is evil enough... and yes, she's ambidexterous...

4 points of Edge for Aptitude, and 6+ for Ambidextrous enough so as to make the penalties minimized? Drek, DH, I could've sworn that Cheese Emperor said "no excessive Edges or Flaws"... ork.gif
Digital Heroin
Kara was a beneficieary of the Big D's will. Which is why she learned this metamagic from the Draco Foundation. Remember chummers, dragons know magic us metahumans would drool over.

As for the room's power level, it's all encompassing. Depends on which storyteller you run for, and who you're fellow runners are.

I allow aptitude on combat skills (only once a player) because on one small consideration: no matter how good you are with a weapon, there are things that can reduce you to pulp in a heartbeat.

And I'd hardly say it's excessive. nyahnyah.gif Two edges balanced with some nasty flaws. Hell, there's an Ares VP out to kill the little lady, not just for leaving his bed, but for leaving his bed for a woman (not just any woman either, but that's her little secret).
snowRaven
Any chance of getting a description of how the metamagic works?

I 'collect' metamagics and I would love to see it - please? Pretty please with sugar on top? grinbig.gif

In spoiler or even private message if you don't want the wrong eyes to see it upsidedown.gif
Cain
Forget the dart gun, go with dual supersquirts loaded with Gamma-scopolamine. They can't burst, but they can fire in semi-auto mode. 4 shots of 10D stun, with half Impact resisting, should be more than enough against anyone without sealed armor.
TinkerGnome
The only area in which a supersquirt has an advantage over the dart pistol is in ammo capacity. For most characters using the things, 5 shots should be sufficient, and the difference in legality, availability and costs (though that depends on where you're buying it... dart guns are the same price on the street) is enough to make the dart pistol an equal or better choice.
Nevermind
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Kara was a beneficieary of the Big D's will. Which is why she learned this metamagic from the Draco Foundation. Remember chummers, dragons know magic us metahumans would drool over.

As for the room's power level, it's all encompassing. Depends on which storyteller you run for, and who you're fellow runners are.

Beneficiary of Big D's will. Even if i don't ask what for she got this, there is still the question who thaugt her the meta after Big D is dead.
And i think that even IF dragons have other metamagics, they won't share them, and as the have them but aren't telling, no one even has the idea to ask for it.

This nsc is for use when YOU are gm or not?

Ares VP in bed with Coperate Asassin(She used to work for ares at this time, i hope?)

Sorry if i question you so heavy, but i always try to understand why somebody needs such iMho munchy NSC. No offense meant. wink.gif
Shanshu Freeman
had to laugh at your sig.

english may not be your first language, but you hide it well! kudos, friend! :heart:
Nevermind
You are right, i was lazy and in a hurry,

next time iŽll take some time for my postings.
Shadow
To DH's credit the character idea is pretty cool, the whole "I know a meta magic that no one else does", if done right could be a lot of fun in a game. And I think he will have a lot of fun with the character, and that's what it's all about right?

As for her being a lesbian assassin, well that's a little contrived. I mean every female character in SR seems to be a lesbian, where do all the baby Shadowrunners come from?
snowRaven
Didn't you know Shadow? They are all genetically improved vat grown corp experiments...
BitBasher
man, that's so accurate it stops being funny.... indifferent.gif
Siege
-3 Flaw: Vat grown killing machine

Distinctive feature: bar code on back of neck
Distinctive feature: Cells have Ares logo and trademark
GM's Wild: GM's whim as to implanted cyberware
Amnesia
Limited Time
Addiction
Flashbacks ("Do I exist? Am I real? Do I have a soul?")
Loyalty (willpower to resist orders or to act against parent corp)
Command Kill (whack your cat, whack little old ladies and maybe even someone you care about)
etc.

Neat flaw! grinbig.gif

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Woo! About 21 points worth of flaws, now available for 3 points!

~J
Siege
If you honestly approach your GM with a flaw like "-3 Vat grown killing machine", you deserve all the additional grief you get.

grinbig.gif

-Siege
Shadow
SIEGE!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!
Fortune
QUOTE (Shadow)
...where do all the baby Shadowrunners come from?

Mom-on-the-Run!
snowRaven
biggrin.gif rotfl.gif grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012