Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tir info?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
What book or source can I find most up to date info about the Tir Tairngire (sp). Trying to bring my meta plot info up to date. Played 1st edition from day one all way to introduction of 3rd. So Ive done alot of catching up in last few months since 4th edition has hauled me back. Tracked down most of sourcebooks was missing but not finding any references to what happened in Tir. Princes have stepped down? Star chamber running things? Whats going on with elven terrorists?
Prime Mover
Also the just wanted to vent, the whole crater lake has always bugged me hehe. Floating blocks size of buildings,spirits and army. Now place has become mana ebb. Wished had more hints.
fistandantilus4.0
Runner Havens has the most recent blurb, about it becoming a democracy with Larry Zincan in charge. That's about the extent of what it says really.

In System Failure, there's also an adventure hook where the PCs can protect Lugh Surehand in Seattle while he takes care of some local busines, with a Ghost team on his tail.

The buildings bother me too, becuase they're noever directly addressed. Although SOTA (64 IIRC) has a bit on them in the news about a mana ebb there, and all the mages moved out. But you knew that already.

So Tir SB - Tir Tairngire, SONA, SOTA, Sys Fail, RH
FrankTrollman
The whole Crater Lake thing was addressed directly in the novels. Aina fought a major battle with a horror and created a mana spike there and then horrors started using it as a bridge and then it got turned inside out later on as part of the whole Dragonheart stuff.

But seriously dude, that involves Dragonheart and Worlds Without End, and I think we'd all be happier if we just sort of ignored that stuff altogether.

-Frank
WhiskeyMac
Yeah, just leave it as Crater Lake is an awesome park to look at and Tir Tairngire ruined one of the coolest states in the Union. I can't believe that those granola-eating tree-huggers just grew up to be immortal, oppressive daisy-eaters.

P.S. Just so no-one is offended I was born and raised in Oregon. I'm just venting.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Yeah, just leave it as Crater Lake is an awesome park to look at and Tir Tairngire ruined one of the coolest states in the Union. I can't believe that those granola-eating tree-huggers just grew up to be immortal, oppressive daisy-eaters.

P.S. Just so no-one is offended I was born and raised in Oregon. I'm just venting.

It's more of a statement about the Rajneesh incident. Remember the whole deal where cultists following a corrupt Indian cleric pooled their money and purchased a ranch up in rural Oregon and then renamed it and took over the local government by virtue of out voting the locals and then tried to get rid of all the old residents with a botched biterrorism attack using salmonella-filled squeeze bottles?

The Tir is basically the same thing. A group of elven mystics achieved cult leader status and got a whole bunch of elves to move up to Oregon. Then, with the balance of population on their side they took over the government and gradually crushed out the original Oregonians. When they had sufficient control they resorted to determined attacks and ethnic cleansing techniques.

Like everything in the original Shadowrun books, it was a topical satire.

-Frank
WhiskeyMac
Kinda like the Native Americans taking back over half the United States? Yeah, a lot of Shadowrun history is summed up with "It's Magic, OK" so we just have to shrug and say "Alright, but it doesn't make any sense."

I still don't understand a lot of how the map came around. Much less other parts of the world. Oh well.
knasser
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Mar 23 2007, 11:07 PM)
Kinda like the Native Americans taking back over half the United States? Yeah, a lot of Shadowrun history is summed up with "It's Magic, OK" so we just have to shrug and say "Alright, but it doesn't make any sense."

I still don't understand a lot of how the map came around. Much less other parts of the world.  Oh well.

The way that I get away with the native american take over is to build up the cult aspects of Danial Howling Coyote's movement and say that large numbers of non native americans were swept up in it. I have more in the "Shadowrun Questions" document on my website, but I reckon that with (a.) actual proof that their "medicine" works, (b.) sympathy in certain quarters for the native american persecution by the government and (c.) the combination of disatisfaction with the government and the apparent ability of Coyote's movement to fight it head on, there would be a potentially large number of people ready to swing behind the Native American Nations and become part of it, whether native american themselves, or not.

The people had had plagues, environmental disasters, world wide "birth defects." I think they were more than prepared to listen to Coyote's message of living in harmony with nature and ceasing to anger "mother earth." Especially when Mother Earth was apparently on his side.

Might not be pure cannon but I think it's as close as you get and still make sense.

-K.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

...I feel the same way. A transplant (not from SoCal BTW) but been here for going on 20 years.

I was very displeased at how those "long eared galoots" (as my namesake character calls them) messed up Portland, Eugene, and the rest of the state with their petty political games.

Finally, I feel I can actually set a campaign in Portland like I originally intended to before the TT sourcebook came out.
WhiskeyMac
Just as a quick side question. Has anything ever really been done about Astoria or Warrenton? They are on the western border and are port cities but I only saw a quick snippet about them in the TT sourcebook.

Knasser: While that does help explain a little bit, wouldn't most people side with the government in that conflict? Sure the NAs were mistreated but now they're blowing up volcanoes, blasting people with thunderstorms, flooding good honest citizens, etc. while the great US of A is just trying to make sure their country isn't destroyed. For people who claim to have a connection with Mother Earth they sure are destroying the crap out of her and screwing over future generations with their mojo displays. Just seems kinda hypocritical to me.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Knasser: While that does help explain a little bit, wouldn't most people side with the government in that conflict? Sure the NAs were mistreated but now they're blowing up volcanoes, blasting people with thunderstorms, flooding good honest citizens, etc. while the great US of A is just trying to make sure their country isn't destroyed. For people who claim to have a connection with Mother Earth they sure are destroying the crap out of her and screwing over future generations with their mojo displays. Just seems kinda hypocritical to me.

Why? Nationalism is a lie.

Or a story. Or a shared ideal. Whatever you want to call it, there isn't actually any thing that corresponds to "countries" or "nations". the United States doesn't have any independent existence. It's just an ideal people have.

If someone came up to you tomorrow and told you a better story, about how you weren't part of the United States and owed no loyalty to such an institution, but were instead a part of some other organization (say "Native America") then you'd just switch sides. It would have to be a really good story, because you've spent your whole life considering yourself part of the USA and have probably never even considered that your allegiance might properly belong elsewhere.

But Daniel Howling Coyote had a really good story. He held up the frickin gods of the land and had them talk to people. The nation he was displacing had been rocked with a number of political scandals and had found itself divorced from the needs or opinions of the people. Unpopular wars, massive corporate giveaways, and a disinterested - disenfranchized electorate had driven a wedge between man and state. And then some guy comes in and shows people a new religion and promises them a better life.

You'd switch sides. So would I.

In 2006, the Voter Turnout was slightly over 40%. That means that 40% of the registered voters actually voted. In English that means that there were about 56,800,000 votes cast. And there are about 311 million people living in the arbitrary borders of the nation (298 million "legal" and 13 million "illegal"). For those of you keeping track at home, that means that in reality less than 19% of the people in this country actually participate in the process of running it. Is it so hard to imagine that someone might win the loyalty of just 20% of the people in the country and command a crushing majority on all issues pertinent to the continuation of the state?

-Frank
knasser
What Frank said plus the following:

The big thing about Howling Coyote, was that he had power. And a lot of it. In the cannon history, an entire airbourne division is sent against him and none return. The US government had been trying to kill him for the best part of four years while he presumably laid the groundwork, preaching, teaching and miracle working. What I hear a lot of in real life, is people saying "But it wont change anything..." and variations thereof. The one thing that prevents people from really dictating terms to their governments is the belief that they can't. The resentment of people en masse is like this huge pressure with nowhere to go. What Danial Coyote did was convince people they could change things. And at that point, the whole government-media game is over.

I thnk Bill Hicks put it well: "You want to see politics in America today? I'll show you politics in America today. <mimes puppets>. I think the puppet on the left is to my liking... I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs. Hey waitaminute! It's one guy holding up both puppets. Shut up!" biggrin.gif

If Danial Howling Coyote could hold up a third option, that would be a major shift. In fact, anyone who can do that will find themselves riding a huge wave of power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012