Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armored suburbans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Recently, we just got an armored chevy suburban out here in the FSM. It's pretty absurd since nobody out here would try and shoot us, but I guess it's a broader initiative which must be affecting federal agencies as a whole.

Anyway, I asked an administrator what the NIJ rating of the armored suburban was, and he couldn't tell me. I realized at that point that "armored suburban" is something of a cliche and almost certainly must appear in any RPG setting where the FBI is being represented.

So, 2 questions:

1.) In real life, what degree of protection does an armored suburban provide against firearms?

2.) If you had to run a SR campaign with FBI agents how would you statistically represent a sterotypical armored suburban?
Garrowolf
If you add armor to a suburban you have an Armored Suburban. It's dependent on the needs of the user. I think it would be more useful to try and figure out what kind of rounds you want to be able to stop and go from there. That is how anyone is going to figure it out anyway.
sunnyside
For real life maybe muck about
http://www.alpineco.com/armored/Chevy-GMC/...C/suburban.html

For a bit. I'm sure there are all sorts of degrees but I'm guessing something like that would be what the FBI would use. Looks like it protects up until you get into the high end of small arms. And probably helps there too. So just keep away from the .50's.

As for SR it depends what edition you're using.

The rules for SR3 (and 2 I think) were pretty detailed. I'd have to dig the books out but the jist was that things on the inside would be crowded but you could make the thing again impervious to all but the higher powered man portable rifles (standard assault rifles aren't going to do it, snipers will).

For SR4 probably just simply put the armor of the patrol-1's on a suburban (or just use the Patrol 1 stats with +2 body and a bit lower speed/accel).

I'm sure SR4 will have detailed rules before long.
Tanka
At first, I thought the title said "Armored Subpoenas."

You have no idea how confused I was.
Garrowolf
Those are subpoenas that that can't be challenged by another lawyer. We're talking about suburbans that can't be challenged by gangers!
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Those are subpoenas that that can't be challenged by another lawyer. We're talking about suburbans that can't be challenged by gangers!

This is 2070, remember?

The gangers can challenge anything up to and including infantry fighting vehicles, without spellslammin' support.

WITH a mage, they could bring down a jet fighter.
Kagetenshi
Remember, the Red Hot Nukes exist.

~J
Austere Emancipator
It's not like current gangs (which is to say large organized crime organizations) are completely unable to bring down jet fighters. All it takes is sneaking in a few Iglas and luck. But they won't do that, because then they'd die.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 24 2007, 10:07 AM)
Remember, the Red Hot Nukes exist.

~J

...albeit, not in 2070. There is no writeup of them in Runner Havens.

My personal favoruite of all the gangs.
Kagetenshi
2070 does not exist.

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
2070 does not exist.

~J

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
This is 2070, remember?

The gangers can challenge anything up to and including infantry fighting vehicles, without spellslammin' support.

...made in reference to this post.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
2070 does not exist.

~J

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
This is 2070, remember?

...made in reference to this post.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does exist, it just hasen't happened yet. nyahnyah.gif

But yeah, you wanna talk RL? Armored suburbans are a nice idea, against small arms. The moment they get arms that qualify above small, all that armor is deadweight holding down your ability to GTFO of Dodge.
sunnyside
Still the armor probably helps (and it certainly does in SR).

I mean you hear people talking about heavy clothes causeing a problem with takedown with pistols. Not that the bullet isn't going to be able to punch that heavy coat. Just that it'll muck up the internal ballistics and possibly prevent expansion etc, plus possibly costing some speed.

The FBI probably doesn't come up against much in the way of RPGs. In SR they might, but probably would take their chances and rely more on surprise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012