Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ting-bu-dong
Hi,
strangely I did not find any such thread via the search button, so here's my request:

Please post original run ideas or variations of stereotypes that proved successful.

tbd
The_Dood
Here's my notes from the last adventure. The PCs went after Chang for blackmailing one of the team, mostly because they didn't see any profit in doing what Chang wanted them to. So I'm kid of glad this is all the note s I had.

The Meet
You were meant to meet Johnny Chang, a triad, for a job at the Seaview apartments (Close to the
barrens, it lacks both). Instead a large fat man wearing a dirty singlet and y-fronts opens the door.
"What yer want?", he asks as your phone rings.
"Put Mickey on." Chang states.
Handing the phone to Mickey, Mickey does nothing but listen to the receiver
[Perception test to notice the change in Mickey's demeanor, from annoyed to scared to hatred.]
"I'll get my coat.” Mickey says, as he hands you the phone before walking off.
"I want the fat man dead, and the cocaine and money ready to go when I get there. If you’re unarmed, he keeps a shotgun in the closet." Chang says before hanging up.

Mickey, Average Threat, Maybe armed with a shotgun.

[When the combat finishes.]
Mickey lies with a hole in his lungs, panting for breath when you hear movement behind you. Looking behind you see a half-dressed elvish teenager of Asian descent staring at you in shock.

Sandra, No Threat.

[DM Notes.]
Johnny Chang now has one of the PCs on tape murdering Mickey, and possibly Sandra then collecting the drugs and money.

[If Sandra is killed.]
Your phone rings again, its Chang.

[If Sandra lives.]
Your phone rings again, its Chang.

[Mission.]
Infiltrate the CMB (Cash Money Brothers) and take out Mr. Fabulous' brother G Money. The CMB control the market share of the cocaine trade in Seattle. Johnny Chang is hoping that taking out G Money will cause a gang war. Allowing his cocaine sales, which have been too small to notice to increase.

[Mission.]
Infiltrate the CMB (Cash Money Brothers) and install a backdoor into the CMB database.

The Jade Dragon
Chinese Deli
The Jade Dragon is the headquarters for a group of triads under Johnny Chang's control. It is here
that the characters will first meet Johnny Chang in person and where the drive-by shooting will occur.
In one of the back rooms several triad deckers operate Johnny Chang's matrix business. To get access to the triad host, personas must take a backdoor through the deli's online ordering system.

Chang offers one of the PCs a free apartment, near the Seaview apartments in exchange for dealing cocaine in the area. If one of them accepts, he will tell the PC that once this job is over to give him a call and he’ll arrange everything.

[The Drive-by Shooting.]
The PCs meet Johnny Chang in person, the CMB has heard rumors of what Johnny Chang is planning and has put word on the street that they want him dead. Chang, hiding out in little Chinatown is normally protected by the populace out of fear for the triads but some down on their luck go-gangers find Johnny and open fire whilst the PCs are meeting with him in a Chinese deli.

"The window glass shatters, filling your short soup with blood and glass. A street kid stands outside the window, reloading an Uzi." PCs and Chang all take a light wound, with fragments of glass lodged in their face and blood obscuring their vision. Chang’s first reaction will be to make a withdrawal from the deli, only firing to aid his escape. The owner of the deli and his daughter are both dead.

Go-Gangers(3), average threat, armed with submachine guns and driving Yamaha Rapiers.

Props to anybody who gets the references.
spotlite
Short version:

Executive extraction from a nightclub. Visiting exec, and corp politics means he doesn't have his usual protection team. However, the team he does have is well trained and will lose face if they screw up. Runners get job through a johnson acting on behalf of another. he doesn't know who but they come highly recomended. Pay is good, and per team member.

Nightclub called Snipers Alley, on the outskirts of downtown/almost in Auburn in a B or D area. The area is largely automated and a rotodrone patrols the district for lone star. Response time about 5 mins. Inside nightclub is laid out like a five street intersection, each set of building 3 storeys high (inside a large warehouse). There's bars, and rooms, and dancefloor aplenty on different levels and different buildings. A dozen or so nightclub security on normal nights, four if them on the door. DJ booth on the roof of one of the buildings. (now you have all the flavour text and can populate as you need). Floor plans are highly reccomended for both Gm and players.

Exec is visiting nightclub as part of his itenary to see a Tir music sensation who are playing their only UCAS gig there. lots of bigwigs, and the band's own security, plus nightclub security provided by wolverine, hardcorps or someone else with more firepower than brains. Personal security is not allowed in aside from a single body guard on the night so they can get more paying customers in.

Team has to extract exec and take them to a pick up point where helicopter will pick up in abandoned warehouse carpark in a deserted area about an hour drive away. It comes loaded with armoured corp squad and an assault chopper as transport, plus a doctor and the real johnson.

Owning corp hit team will obviously chase, and can hack lone stars' net for traffic info and sensor feeds to track them. The decker can also hack satellites over seattle for a real time feed - he has access codes from his corp. Ideally there should be a fight on the freeway which the runners escape from or the corp team retreat from, then the hand off should get hosed.

Its basic stuff, but its fun, can be very risky if they screw up in the nightclub, and there's loads of people at the club on the night enterprising runners could rob/chat up and make contacts of, and nights other than the gig its filled with gangers up to no good and slumming execs so theres lots of fun to be had htere too! And at any point they could get shot to bits. The pay is good, for once they aren't getting screwed over, but they'll feel like they've accomplished something and it can generate lots of side plot from embarrassed corp teams after the runners to jobs for the nightclub - which also runs a matrix club by the same name, as an aside.

There's potentially plenty of things for riggers, deckers to do before during and after, and awakened characters and sammies can be useful in their normal capacities. Everyone has something to do. I ran this recently and it worked for us. Boosted morale quite nicely even though they had more medical bills than pay at the end of it! (they got a nice chunk of karma cos they handled it so well though.)
Tziluthi
It wasn't GTA:VC was it, the Dood?
The_Dood
[Hijack] No, but keep trying [/Hijack]
snowRaven
It's from a movie, isn't ot Dood? But I can't for the life of me remember the name of it...
Req
That would be True Romance I think.
The_Dood
It's definitely from a movie, no-one has mentioned it however. Massive props to anybody who figures out where Mr. Fabulous comes from, though.

Not to completely hi-jack the tread, heres another adventure idea.

Background
One of the PCs contacts had a wife who recently ran of with another man, unbeknownst to her, the new boyfriend arranged for her husband to be abducted for body parts to finance his elopement. Whilst the doctor was operating a third party burst in killing the rest of the abductors, leaving the doctor who was operating unbeknownst to the third party, out of sight in the bathroom. The doctor having only removed the liver, left the body on ice and fled with the liver.

Something Bad Happens.
A PC receives a call from a contact asking for help. Currently the contact is sitting in a dirty bathtub filled with ice unaware of how he got there with his liverremoved. Unable to move due to the numbness in his legs he can only describe his immediate surroundings, a 3 by 5 dilapidated bathroom. The PCs must find a compatible liver and reach the contact before he dies from blood loss.
The_Dood
and another one, because I'm feeling generous.

A russian tells the PCs that he requires a briefcase containing some documents retrieved. It turns out this briefcase has turned up in the hands of a bunch of metahuman activists who plan on taking a Saeder-Krupp press conference hostage and revealing the content of the documents. The metahuman activists will then commit suicide by detonating the bombs strapped around their bodies. The documents relate to genetic experiments performed on metahumans and the mentally disabled. The russian mafia was asked by Saeder-Krupp to retrieve the documents, however that hasn't stopped Saeder-Krupp from sending a special operations team to try and clean things up.

The briefcase was stolen from a convey of cars traveling between seattle and tir taingire. During the snatch, a firefight broke out and one fo the assilants was wounded. Unintentionally he removed his mask enabling the protection detail to get a good look at him. He was Harris Druper, an orc associated with several metahuman rights organizations, he now walks with a limp and was last seen purchasing explosives using a fake demolitions Id. due to the sensitive nature of the documents the johnson doesn't believe they have been sold yet.

Ideally the end of this adventure will involve the PCs having to get the documents from the press conference, with the reporters all being held hostage by a bunch of suicide bombers and lonestar outside, trying to talk them down.
danbot37
heres a run idea I've had that I'll prolly run in a few weeks.. They get hired to throw an Urban Brawl game. once they get in there, have the players they'll play with, who don't know whats gonna happen, start talking about how important this game is, etc., kinda testing your players to see if they'll go for the money or the glory (make it a championship game or something)
Liquid_Obsidian
just an idea:
Russian brothers ex mil comes to seattle to sell "something" to the highest bidder , one just wants to pay it the price of a run

-find 'em
-geek 'em ( one MUST escape if you don't want your runners to turn to cold meat)
-get the good back to Mr johnson

seems the plain old good run nah ? well if the "something wasn't a bio agent that runners cames to be infected by . And the last one just have the last russian have the antidote (and he's not willing to give it to 'em
Frag-o Delux
Cash Money Brothers and G Money is from a movie called New Jack City, about Crack hitting New York in 85, with Ice-T, Wesley Snipes, Mario Van Pebbles, Chris Rock, and a white guy I think his name is Judd Hursh (Bender from the breakfast club), the stuttering gangster is also another sort of famous actor in mainly black movies.
The_Dood
Judd Nelson is the white guy and Chris Rock is the crack addict (Pookie).

Also, Mr. Fabulous is a pimp off Jerry Springer.
Sahandrian
This came up in a conversation with one of my players (the infamous cat shaman I mention about every other post). Just a short idea, but seems like an interesting thing to base a run on.

A younger relative of a close contact (your level 2 fixer's 16-year-old cousin, maybe) has some big ideas about running from watching too many anarchist trid movies, and wants to get into the business. Naturally, your friend, knowing how dangerous this stuff really is, doesn't want one of his kid relatives getting killed on the streets. So he asks you and your runner friends to scare the idea out of him. Do anything you want to convince him that he's not meant for shadow work, short of causing permanent harm.

It would be an interesting plot point if circumstances forced the kid into shadow work later on anyway.
Buzzed
The following links are shortcutted to my posts, im too lazy to make them link to the top, just scroll up.

Scary run ideas thread.

Run environment ideas thread.

Ganger campaign run ideas thread.

Sewer run ideas thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012