Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hammer? What the chain?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
knasser
Hi,

Just to let people know that I've added some new material to my site. This time, I've taken a stab at doing some of the previous edition shapechangers under 4th edition rules. The direct link is here and the site itself is here.

Comments, feedback and typos welcome as usual. I'm putting on my Armour Jacket (8/6) as I type. wink.gif

Cheers,

-K.
the_dunner
Did I miss it, or did you not include a BP cost?

For my own tastes, admitting that it's not consistent with SR3, I'd have given the animal forms Power: Immunity to Normal Weapons. Then, using Silver (or other breed-specific metals) as an Allergy and also a weapon type that overcame the immunity.
knasser
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Mar 24 2007, 07:31 PM)
Did I miss it, or did you not include a BP cost?

For my own tastes, admitting that it's not consistent with SR3, I'd have given the animal forms Power: Immunity to Normal Weapons.  Then, using Silver (or other breed-specific metals) as an Allergy and also a weapon type that overcame the immunity.

Rrrr. Someone skipped a line. Stated explicitly at the very beginning that these are not meant for players. They're critters. I suppose you could assign a BP cost for the Tiger and Wolf ones, it wouldn't be high. I would not like to see a PC version of the Warek.

I haven't given them Immunity to Normal Weapons, except for the Warek. The original ones in the Critters book didn't have it. They got regeneration and that's it. Of course, Regeneration was much more powerful in previous editions, but I don't think I'd want to give all shapeshifter's Immunity to Normal Weapons to compensate. It would be a bit generous, I think.

If people want to see it, I'll type up some more. Fox and Eagle, I expect.
Jaid
you forgot the part where they can change forms.

(translation: they need innate spell: Human Form).

'cause, you know, shapeshifters minus the shapeshifting part is just... well... not shapeshifters?
FrankTrollman
The attributes seem a bit high in most cases. A normal wolf has a Strength of 2, and a Reaction of 3, having straight 4s for the larger Shapeshifter version seems unnecessary.

-Frank
The Entropic Wizard
you forgot the part where they can change forms.

(translation: they need innate spell: Human Form).

'cause, you know, shapeshifters minus the shapeshifting part is just... well... not shapeshifters?

Shapeshifters don't need that spell. It's their natural ability, so it's not treated like a spell at all.
knasser

They don't need the Innate Spell (Human Form) as they can do this naturally and without sustaining. It's stated at the start as a complex action. I thought complex action was pretty fast to completely reconfigure your body, but then it's no different to the spell and I didn't want to disadvantage them.

I agree the attributes are quite high. I'm not sure that isn't actually a typo with the wolf, though I can't be sure I didn't mean it. Trouble is a normal wolf has a body of 2. They're not exactly robust. So I've given a boost of +1 attribute over the normal wolf for the sake of it being a physically superior specimen. I've left the other ones where they were as they seem about right, to me.

The trouble is that once I'd done this, I realised how very much not a super monster shapechangers are. Looking at the rules in previous editions where they had super-attributes, or in second edition they got to add their Essence to the attribute scores, I'm wondering if I shouldn't overhaul them in line with this and make them far more powerful.
Jaid
QUOTE (knasser)
They don't need the Innate Spell (Human Form) as they can do this naturally and without sustaining. It's stated at the start as a complex action. I thought complex action was pretty fast to completely reconfigure your body, but then it's no different to the spell and I didn't want to disadvantage them.

ah, ok... missed that little line there nyahnyah.gif

still, you should probably give them an ability that does it (even if you just want to call it shapeshifting or whatever) since shadowrun generally doesn't have types and subtypes in the way certain other cancer-causing games do nyahnyah.gif
knasser

That's a good point. I've turned the alternate form into its own power and given it to the shapeshifters individually.

Cheers,

-K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012