Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critique my campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lagomorph
Hey DS,

I'm looking for some feedback on my campaign that I'm about to start, I'm not sure if it is too cut and dry or if there are any twists that I could add to it to make it more interesting. I'm trying to keep it a little simple just from having experience in games where when it gets too complex, you can't really get a story from it.

I'm pretty sure that my gamers aren't on DS much, but if for some reason you're reading this STOP NOW.

Anyway, with that done, here goes.

The premise:
Lonestar's contract with seattle will be coming up for re-negotiation soon, allowing other security companies to make a bid for securing the entire seattle metroplex. One company is making a serious bid for Lonestars contract, employing shadowrunners to strike against Lonestar, tarnishing Lonestar's reputation while running a heavy marketing campaign on their own successes.

The security corp is actually run by a few ex-shadowrunners turned corp, they boast that they have 100% security rates against shadowrunners in private contracts, and that they only use non-leathal techniques to subdue opposition. (the idea here is to make them as appealing as possible to both Shadowrunners AND corps).

The Runs:
The runners will first be presented the good side of this new corp and do a few runs to promote them, doing some high publicity attacks against LS. Getting a feel for how nice and thoughtful this new player in the security realm is to shadowrunners. Perhaps doing a security run themselves, and being well paid for it.

After this, start to hint at a bad side to the new corp (there always is one). A run to recover a lost P-fix scientist leads them against the new corps p-fix zombies.

The runners will have the opportunity to gather incriminating evidince on all parties, giving them opportunity to promote or destroy the chances of one group ore another.

This will all culminate in a 3 way battle between LS, new sec corp, and KE. All trying to get the seattle contract. And leaving the runners in a position to decide who gets the contract.

The twists:
This new security corp does infact use non-leathal methods to subdue shadowrunners, however, they then implant those captured shadowrunners with personafix to turn them into employees of the corp. There by turning shadowrunners against shadowrunners, and with an equal playing field, their chances of protecting a site increase greatly. Which gives them their boast of the 100% security rates.

KE will try and take advantage of this fighting between LS and this new security corp, and make their own bid for the seattle contract.

And finally, one of the PC's SO, which has been missing for some time, is a P-fixed member of the new security corp. Which they will encounter on a run, will be up to the group to recognise the person and use less-lethal means. Removing the p-fix would be a second run in it's self.

So, with all that being said. Does it seem plausible/logical? Is there something that I could add to make it more interesting? Are there too few twists to it? Opinions, Ideas and Critisism welcome.
sharrem
arrgggg i shell have to rewrite some of my upcoming ShadowMerc Org PbP campaign I'm about to run

so yes it sound good ...... unerringly so arggggg cyber.gif
fistandantilus4.0
It looks like it's set to keep the Star in control of the plex. Once/if they find out about the P-Fix, they'll kill the little upstart. "stick with old reliable. You know you can trust us. Look at what the new guys do."I don't think there's much doubt that the team will sell the data once they find out . After all, they don't want to be the new security guards.

If that's where you're going twith it ,great. how long are you planning on running this campaign for. You may need to fwork out a few ruuns for them to draw it out before they find out about the p-fix.

And then there's the Star hiring runners as kind of counter-ops against the new kids on the block too.
Baphomet69
That sounds fantastic! Very well thought out and plausible. (And FUN!)

I don't suppose I'm lucky enough that you live in Southern California, right?
Lagomorph
Fistandantilus: I'm thinking that LS will probably win in the end, but if they don't find much of the incriminating data for any of the sides, it may be that this new corp will win in the end anyway, then it may be up to them to try and take down what they helped build up.

As for time... I was planning to stretch this out over 6-9 runs with some fluff or alternate story runs in between.

Yes I was thinking of having the Star hire them to try and get inside info out of them.

Baphomet: Sorry live up in seattle smile.gif
Nostalgic Jester
Let me see indifferent.gif ... I think sleepy.gif ... I like it smile.gif ... Yup, I really do biggrin.gif !

Just one thing; I love mystery, so if I were you I would not rush anything and would give out hints on a careful order of increasing usefulness. By that token, meeting the P-Fix scientist probably would happen after some confusing and kind of "ominous" encounters with P-Zombies.

Cheers, The Nostalgic Jester.
Magus
Bugs!! Lots of Bugs!! Thus drawing in more KE/Ares scrutiny. If not real bugs then imitation Pfixed personal who act like bugs!
Fezig
Very nice storyline. It has a plausible setup, an interesting backdrop, and enough twists to keep things interesting. I like it very much.
Lagomorph
Wow, thanks for all the positive reviews and feedback every one. I'll definately try and string out the info of the full plot in properly measured doses.

I'm not sure how bugs would fit in the situation, I suppose I could replace the p-fix zombies with bug zombies, but that would make the captured shadowrunners kind of unrecoverable wouldn't it? You can't really un-infest a bug spirit infested person right?
sunnyside
Stick with the P-fix. It's a good idea.

One thing you should probably experiment with in your campaign is corps holding grudges.

See typically runners hit a corp and are then back on the free market. So the hit corp has no percentage in going after them, as they're as likely as the next guy to hire them when they need something done.

But when some runners hit you twice or three times in short succession. Now that's a totally different situation.

I'd suggest that you pay attention to how many clues the runners leave as to their ID after a run. If any of the corps involved get wind that there is a pattern have them hire their own shadowrunners to take them out.

Try playing these runners smart, not suicidal.

Oh and I'd mix in some other characters in. Like reporters snooping around. Just be carefull not to make them nessesary to the plot. I like having situations where runners can make new contacts and diverge from the main plotline, but you never want to have it be nessesary, or you'll bog stuff down.
Fezig
You could make it so that the outfit was run by bugs who are using the p-fix as a placeholder so they don't look as bad if someone stumbles on them, with their idea being to possess the people once they have more access via the security contract. With the contract they'd have major access to all sorts of people all over the plex, so they may be smart enough to wait and make a huge move rather than blow it all by making small moves early on. Just an idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012