Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Precursor to Time, Pool, and the Flow of Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eyeless Blond
This is not the thread you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.
Kagetenshi
Do you mind taking the SR3R badge off of the post?

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
1) leave it be. If you really want the speed-freaks to get two actions before the slowpokes, add some optional rule to let them discard later actions to move their next one up a phase. This would enable the speed freaks to shoot as often before the slowpokes as your chart, but make it so there may be a cost to doing so.

2) I really don't know what you are talking about. The rounds are all 3 seconds, roll the dice add the bonuses and go through the phases. Granted, I don't try decking, so there could be issues with that, but rigging is in the same timescale, drones act on the rigger's turn, astral and spirits use the normal timescale. Please elaborate on the issue.

3) Having the rules slightly different between different items I consider a perk. Partially because they are almost completely incompatible, the player has to choose whether they want the cheap one (Boosted) that can be upgraded by buying an expensive one (Synaptic) or the stable one that can be upgraded directly and comes with an off switch (Wired) or the one that uses up all your PP (adept version) or the spell that doesn't add to reaction and can be dispelled or the one that uses up all your essense. Standardize that, and you might as well drop boosted reflexes and MBW entirely as well as completely changing the spell.

4) I disagree on your conclusions, but do favor some more effort put in making relevant modifiers easy to locate.
Platinum
First of all I think that all actions whether they take place in the matrix, astral, rigging or physical should be resolved at the same time. Don't separate the different types or events, because I think time sequence adds drama, and makes sense.

if a decker rolls 24 init and a sammie with 32 init rolls higher, he needs to wait for the decker to unlock the freaking door before he an get into that lab. not have matrix actions resolve first.

I agree with the physical and mental inits, AND with drivers/passengers acting in order of who gets the higher init, instead of a stupid rule.

I want to see actions happen in a more distributed manner.

Where slow people act in the middle of a blazing street sammie's actions. So the sammie would act first and third
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Do you mind taking the SR3R badge off of the post?

I had planned on doing just that after the ideas were compiled. The point of this thread was to compile all the debate on this subject in one place, then essentially close the thread by renaming it, and passing the recommendations on. The topic itself doesn't really fit into any of the existing threads, but it needs to be resolved, and can be done relatively quickly IMO.

If you prefer I can do it now. At that point I may as well just delete the thread as it wouldn't be serving its intended purpose, but say the word and it's done.
Kagetenshi
Well, I think it's worth examining, and if you think it can be ended quickly then I'm certainly game for opening it up, but I'd prefer to start the SR3R threads for a few reasons (including ease of searching and, more importantly, retaining the ability to edit in things into the top post). If you could take the badge off, I'll start a thread on it.

Out of interest, what's your issue with cross-compatibility of initiative? All initiatives use the same timescale, and while this ends up with ridiculously slow matrix actions, rigging synchs perfectly.

As for the desiring-Increased-Reflexes to give the +2R +1d6I bonus, my objection to that is that it's too powerful—the mage didn't have to give up flesh or a third or more of his or her starting power points to get the boost, that kind of thing. Thoughts?

~J
eidolon
Guys, I was going to merge these for you, but after clicking it I realized that the merge function looks at the date/time block first, so it was messing up the other thread.

Do you guys want/need anything out of this one? I renamed it because ---- was a really strange thread title. wink.gif Let me know so I can either merge or delete as necessary. (or we can just leave it to die with this name, but I have a feeling people will post in it unless we do something to prevent it)

Thanks
Kagetenshi
I think I've taken everything I need out of this thread.

~J
eidolon
Closed to avoid misplaced posts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012