Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartdrones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nasrudith
Can a smartgun be used for a drone's weapon and if so where are the components required? (I.e is the smartlink enhancement in the drone, on the glasses of a rigger?) Could a smartlink be used by the drone by itself or would only a rigger be able to use it properly.

Also while we're on the topic of drones what makes a good weapon for a drone to deal with both metahumans and other drones/veichles?
Jack Kain
Yes a drone can use a smart-gun system. I don't see why not.
You'd need the gun to be smart link enabled and buy a smartlink for the drone, just as if you were buying for your gun and googles.

A good drone weapon depends on the drone.
A flying Rotar Drone should use a sniper rifle. It doesn't have the armor to stand up to enemy fire so it should use its flight to stay out of range.

A ground drone with good armor should likely use a good assault rifle. Aries Alpha, for example
hobgoblin
good weapon? av rockets maybe?
Kyoto Kid
...in answer to #2, An Ares Alpha. with EXEX & HE Grenades (best you can get at chargen).
Jaid
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...in answer to #2, An Ares Alpha. with EXEX & HE Grenades (best you can get at chargen).

actually, i would argue a mix of grenades is best. gas and flashbangs, for example, don't damage objects (officially... irl, i'm sure flashbangs would shatter glass and the like), and both also keep their full damage capacity out to the edge of their AOE. and the gas can be really effective against people who aren't readied for it but who would be tough targets for normal damage. smoke/thermal smoke could also be useful in the right situation as well.
ShadowDragon
Smoke is useless with low light vision. -2 penalty FTW ohplease.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Smoke is useless with low light vision. -2 penalty FTW ohplease.gif

yeah, if your opponent has it.

of course, if you equip your drone with low-light (or ultrasound at close range) and lob a smoke grenade at your opponent who doesn't have either of those two things, then it suddenly becomes useful. considering you may be dealing with any number of things, not all of which will have low-light vision, this could come in quite handy.
Lagomorph
I'm planning to put the FA Shotgun on one of my drones, with a belt of ammo, it should be able to cause some decent damage. smile.gif
TheOneRonin
Does anyone else find this silly? For a device like a drone, you'd think it would HAVE to have some sort of boresight/electronic aiming assist device. Otherwise, there would be no way for the drone to aim the weapon at all.

I know we are talking about crunch but....<shakes head>
kigmatzomat
You could always say that smart link only applies to someone jumped into the drone and trying to shoot directly, aka without sensor assist.
TheOneRonin
If that's the case, how does one aim drone weapons when jumped into a drone that doesn't have a smartlink? Do you have to shoot without a reticle? How does that work?
Ravor
Well personally I think I agree with TheOneRonin, no you can't get Smartlink Bonuses with Drones because what basically amounts to a 'Smartlink' is already included with the weapon package and any 'bonus' is assumed to also be included...

Now with that said, I'd bet dollars to donuts that when the Fourth's Rigger book comes out, there will be some type of targeting bonuses for jumped in Riggers to buy...
2bit
As far as the SR4 core rulebook is concerned, a LMG is the best all-purpose weapon for a drone simply because unlike any other weapon that fits on a drone, it can be belt fed. Without that, your drone has no staying power, and won't be able to fend off hostiles by itself long enough for help to arrive.

Something that fires grenades is another must-have. The Ares Alpha is really versatile.
pestulens
It dose seem that everything a smart link dose, a drone would have to do.
not just targeting but tracking amo and automated re-loading (Althow I am pretty sure that any drone weapon works on belt fed rolls with that 250 round capacity)
I'd have to say raw allows it though. You would bye a smart link adaptation for the senors package.
(pretend riggers don't exist until arsenal comes out.)
Jaid
QUOTE (2bit)
As far as the SR4 core rulebook is concerned, a LMG is the best all-purpose weapon for a drone simply because unlike any other weapon that fits on a drone, it can be belt fed. Without that, your drone has no staying power, and won't be able to fend off hostiles by itself long enough for help to arrive.

strictly speaking, a weapon mount comes with ammo capacity of 250 rounds. those rounds could (technically) be anything from light pistol rounds all the way up to grenades.
kigmatzomat
Various after-market drum magazines do exist for many weapons. Heck, I seem to recall one pistol that uses a drum-style magazine (Pegasus?). A similar approach could be used for weapon mounts.

Though I'd be happier if each "weapon mount" was weapon-class specific.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012