Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restricting Extended Tests
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanee
I know there is a guideline in the book already and probably some house rules floating around, but I had this thought recently, and so far I think it could work well.

What do you think?

When making Extended Tests, you can make a number of rolls equal to half your Rating in the Skill (round up) plus two. If the Threshold isn't met after these rolls, you failed and have to start over.

Using the full Skill Rating (as opposed to the Dice Pool as normal) as the cap was my first idea (as with many others apparantly), but that seems too harsh for low Skill Ratings (or those with a Rating of 0), hence the half Rating + fixed number approach.

Bye
Thanee
Serbitar
I use rating + 1 rolls for skill critical tests (not all extended tests are skill critical, like reaction in combat)

edit: rerolls = rolls
Thanee
The +1 is the same as my +2, since you list rerolls. smile.gif

Isn't full Rating too much, though?

Common Thresholds do not seem to be that high, and even the highest ones still seem reasonably easy to manage that way.

Typical Extended Tests are Availability or Programming (there's also Hardware stuff and Hacking on the Fly; anything else, that's important to look at?).

Thresholds there go as high as 20, but that seems to be about the upper limit (or is there anything with more than 20?). Typical stuff is more like 8-12.

On average, you need 60 dice to beat the 20 Threshold.
(Skill Rating 4 / Dice Pool 10 under your system, nothing outrageous.)

You should be *really* good to manage that without some luck, IMHO.

Threshold 8-12 shouldn't be overly hard to do with an average Skill Rating, though.

I think half Skill Rating works quite well there (in theory at least).

Bye
Thanee
FriendoftheDork
I use the skill rating (instead of the suggestion dice pool rating) to cap the number of attempts. If you can't succeed in that time, you basically give up thinking you can't do it (people do that in RL). If you can get a new positive modifier to your dice pool (like better equipment, aid, etc.) you can try again.

Come to think about it that makes extended test with low skill almost impossible... I underestimate the chances of glitching. Perhaps I'll use the dice pool instead.

Still, a newbie hacker with cheap program (dice pool 2) will not be able to get admin access even to an easy system (threshold 7) without using edge.
Thanee
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Mar 28 2007, 12:36 PM)
Still, a newbie hacker with cheap program (dice pool 2) will not be able to get admin access even to an easy system (threshold 7) without using edge.

I don't really see why someone with a Skill Rating 1 Program Rating 1 should be able to do that, though. Getting admin access is not for newbs. wink.gif

Give him a reasonable Program Rating of 3 and with the 3 attempts he would have under my above system, he already has a chance to make it with some luck. Looks ok to me.

Bye
Thanee
TypeRyder
We use the Skill rating as the number for extended test rerolls as well and haven't had any problems with that. Personally, I think that the dice pool as a limitation is still to easy.
deek
Just to chime in, we use skill rating as well to cap the amount of attempts for an extended test.
Thanee
Using Skill Rating was my first idea as well, but that seems too harsh for low Skill Ratings (or those with a Rating of 0), hence the half Rating + fixed number approach. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Serbitar
QUOTE (Thanee)
The +1 is the same as my +2, since you list rerolls. smile.gif

edited for rerolls, meant rolls
deek
QUOTE (Thanee)
Using Skill Rating was my first idea as well, but that seems too harsh for low Skill Ratings (or those with a Rating of 0), hence the half Rating + fixed number approach. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

True...but our group likes the importance put on skills. We also cap successes by skill + 1, so we have really migrated to adding the importance on skills. I tend to agree that that someone with a low skill is going to be unable to do some of the higher threshold tests...and I am okay with that in my game.

I think it all just depends on the feel you want to give the game...
Thanee
QUOTE (deek @ Mar 28 2007, 02:57 PM)
...and I am okay with that in my game.

I see; that's fine, of course. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Kyoto Kid
..yup, skill rating as the cap. Even with this, I find characters usually have a fairly good chance if they posess a decent skill. I do no allow the use of edge on extended tests for that can make it way too easy.
Thanee
Well, Edge would only count for a single test then (not each)... so why not? Edge is meant to give an edge. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
deek
QUOTE (Thanee)
Well, Edge would only count for a single test then (not each)... so why not? Edge is meant to give an edge. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

I agree...

I don't think any of my players have more than 3 points of edge...and I can't recall any single player rolling more than once or twice a session so far. I refresh edge dice daily and everyone uses their edge a moderate amount.

As for an extended test, yes, just a single test per edge used...I don't think I have had any player use edge on an extended test though...
Grinder
QUOTE (deek)
I don't think any of my players have more than 3 points of edge...and I can't recall any single player rolling more than once or twice a session so far. I refresh edge dice daily and everyone uses their edge a moderate amount.

Lucky, you. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I've seen some really outrageous incidences of exploding 6s (including one which I rolled recently for my own PC Hannah who had only 3 Edge). Yeah it's supposed to reflect that "lucky shot", which is why I tend to reserve Edge for situations where the character's bacon is on the line. Messing up on an opposed test means you usually just have to start over again.
Garrowolf
About Extended Tests: I usually have a difficulty threshold on extended tests. This keeps them from getting silly. You may need to get 12 successes but when the threshold is a 4 then you may only get 1 or 2 per interval. This can make it take a while.

About exploding dice: Don't use them around open flame...

No seriously. My rule is that you can never have more successes from a pool then the dice in that pool. If you have penalties that take that pool down to 3 but all explode - you still only have 3 successes.

Edge adds to the dice pool. You can't have more successes then the total number of dice you rolled.

I don't really allow for the lucky shot that way. I cover that with a good roll from one side and a critical glitch from the other side. This makes them rare (but usually funny).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012