Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SA does it again
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Naysayer
I just read this thing over at something awful and it kinda got my SR-sense tingling...
Backgammon
That's actually a really good story.
knasser

Very nice little atmosphere piece. Very well written. Good find, Naysayer.
Fix-it
Nearly lost the family jewels to an IED there too, but we learned to sit on our helmets for a reason.

Everyone's seen this in Apocalypse Now, but I'm curious:

military D-shockers. Is this still a common practice in Iraq/Afghanistan/wherever-it-was-you-served?
HullBreach
Not really, most IED's are planted beside the road to hit the side of the vechicle. This is intended to immobilize it and block the road so that the remainder of the convoy can be engaged with small arms.

Besides, I almost never wore my helmet while I was in, only when I was specifically ordered to. They are only really useful against frag, and the screw with your hearing somthing fierce.

Helluva story though, Im curious to see where they go with it. I've frequently been pleasantly surprised by the quality of writing there when it chooses to elevate itself above dick & fart jokes.
Crakkerjakk
Yeah, we just sand bagged the crap outa the floors of our hummers. Helmet ain't gonna stop the big arty rounds they rig to blow anyways, but foot of sand might give you a prayer. Plus sitting on a helmet is uncomfortable as shit. I usually just wore mine. Hearing wasn't usually much of an issue with us, as generally I was driving, and it's not like you can hear much over the turbo-deisel anyways. Plus I'm fairly deaf anyways, from too muc time near arty/the rifle range/helos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012