Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timeframe of Emergence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Elve
What time of the year, and what year ist Emergence taking place?

I'm starting a new campaign, and don't want to start to early or too late to later incorporate that events...
Synner
Emergence is both an event book and a campaign - it includes several "campaign tracks". The timeline runs from late 2069 (Nov-Dec) to early 2071 (Jan-Feb) with the big events and shockwaves starting in June 2070 and unfolding during the latter half of the year. This should be full compatible with minimal adjustment for most group using the 2070 setting (just advance or rewind the dates a month or two to fit). Note that public awareness of technomancers blooms during the campaign, and that at the start (late-2069) Joe Q. Public thinks technomancers are urban legends on par with otaku and vampiric rockstars who fake their own deaths. What the shadows and the corps know is a whole other story...
bibliophile20
So we're talking something on par with System Failure in terms of size, information and time covered?
Grinder
Seems so.
bibliophile20
Well, if that's the case, I just hope it comes out within the next month and a half--I'm getting together a campaign for the summer, and that would work out perfectly.

Edit:

Oh, and I have just one interesting thought that's actually in relation to the book itself:

So, Synner, we're talking a year-and-a-half span or so that the metaplot takes place over? And this is when everyone starts finding out about technomancers? But the Crash was almost five years previously--what had been happening in the interim?

Hmmm... Anyone have any speculation on why, in the hyperconnected world of 2070, where a rumor can reach the other side of the planet before you have closed your mouth, it took so long for the existence of technomancers to become semi-common knowledge? Or, looking at it another way, what was it that, after five years, suddenly brought the the technomancers to the public eye?

Personally? My bet is on Pax and her friends--that metaplot line hasn't been closed like others were.
fistandantilus4.0
That's true, there was all that talk about the Dissonance vs The Resonance, without a whole lot of detail about what that entailed, bsides, 'making realms and pools' for each, what ever that means.

Also looking forward to more explanation on Submergance.
MYST1C
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Hmmm... Anyone have any speculation on why, in the hyperconnected world of 2070, where a rumor can reach the other side of the planet before you have closed your mouth, it took so long for the existence of technomancers to become semi-common knowledge?  Or, looking at it another way, what was it that, after five years, suddenly brought the the technomancers to the public eye? 

Maybe that's one of the elements of Emergence that would've been spoiled by Unwired had it been released first...
Synner
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Mar 29 2007, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Hmmm... Anyone have any speculation on why, in the hyperconnected world of 2070, where a rumor can reach the other side of the planet before you have closed your mouth, it took so long for the existence of technomancers to become semi-common knowledge?  Or, looking at it another way, what was it that, after five years, suddenly brought the the technomancers to the public eye? 

Some clues as to why technomancy hasn't come to the fore are actually seeded in System Failure. These "circumstancial" reasons are coupled with the rarity of this particular expression worldwide... note that otaku were around for the better part of a decade before the corps and shadows really caught on; to Joe Q. Public they were still something of an urban legend when the Crash 2 rolled round.

As to what would catalyzes the situation and places technomancers squarely in the sights of the media and the public... well, that is indeed one of the many surprises in Emergence. And yes, it is also one of the reasons, though not the only one, it made more sense to release Unwired after all the surprises in Emergence unfold - after all the campaign promises to involve the characters in pivotal events that may "change the way they view the world and the Matrix—and each other."
TheRedRightHand
QUOTE (Synner @ Mar 30 2007, 03:07 AM)
after all the campaign promises to involve the characters in pivotal events that may "change the way they view the world and the Matrix—and each other."

Oh no... The entire Shadowrun universe is just a computer construct a'la the movie the Matrix. And all our characters have been living in a simulated reality.

Does your character take the Red Pill or the Blue?

What will the real shadowrun universe be like?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Synner)
characters in pivotal events that may "change the way they view the world and the Matrix—and each other."

it's a romantic comedy? eek.gif

Ah, I'm just joking. Thanks for the info though, I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out!

fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
it's a romantic comedy? eek.gif

Starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock
knasser
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Mar 30 2007, 03:36 PM)
it's a romantic comedy?  eek.gif 

As Damien Knight and Nadja Daviers.
Grinder

Chased by Drop Bears in a bus. cool.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 30 2007, 10:14 PM)

Chased by Drop Bears in a bus. cool.gif

Hmm - are the Drop Bears in the bus?

If so, are they driving it or is the bus an Ally Spirit? grinbig.gif
Big D
With a very special performance by Chow Yun Fat as Agent #4.
fistandantilus4.0
*Grabs steering wheel of bus and tries to steer derailed "bus" back on to topic*

One of Synner's comments
These "circumstancial" reasons are coupled with the rarity of this particular expression worldwide

has me wondering , are there more technomancers in areas like Seattle and Korea than in other areas? Or is there more concentraion in places that were hit directly like SF or Boston. Kind of goes in with the origins of them I guess. As in, could it be the weird modified nuke/EMPs hitting people while they were jacked in that makes the technomancers express as such?
Ancient History
You'll have to read Emergence and find out, natch.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ancient History)

And--asking honestly, not being sarcastic--what is the current estimated time of publication?

And from Fisty's comments, I have to add this: remember that fluff page in the BBB at the beginning of the "Building a Shadowrunner" chapter? Shiwase was trying to activate her apparently latent technomantic abilities--and she was on the exchange floor when Deus decided to crash the party.
Ravor
Well for playablity I certainly hope that they don't force Technomancers to have been jacked-in during Crash 2.0.

But then again I'm also hoping against hope that they don't rule that Technos are just another type of Magic.
Ancient History
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 30 2007, 09:02 PM)

And--asking honestly, not being sarcastic--what is the current estimated time of publication?

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

I am but a lowly freelancer, when my wee part is submitted, that's all I really know until I hear it from Those Who Sit Above In Shadow.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 31 2007, 02:05 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 30 2007, 09:02 PM)

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

I am but a lowly freelancer, when my wee part is submitted, that's all I really know until I hear it from Those Who Sit Above In Shadow.

*sigh* fair enough; I guess I'll just spend the time before it gets published getting my group acclimated to the Shadowrun universe.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Did you do any writing for that one AH? I know you've got your NDA and all that, just curious to see if your name's going to be in those writing credits along with some of the others I expect to see there (DE,WH, so many fun little abbreviations).
Ancient History
I did contribute a bit of writing for Emergence.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor @ Mar 31 2007, 03:06 AM)
But then again I'm also hoping against hope that they don't rule that Technos are just another type of Magic.

How can it be anything else?

I don't have technomancers in my game as it throws out one of the basic themes of Shadowrun which has been going since 1st edition, which is the rivalry / exclusivity of Magic and Technology. FanPro's explanation of how Technomancers are not magical is going to have to be astounding to convince me to use them, I'm afraid.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 30 2007, 08:02 PM)

Did you do any writing for that one AH? I know you've got your NDA and all that, just curious to see if your name's going to be in those writing credits along with some of the others I expect to see there (DE,WH, so many fun little abbreviations).

AH was a writer for it (as he mentioned), but I was not.
Synner
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 31 2007, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Mar 31 2007, 03:06 AM)

How can it be anything else?

I don't have technomancers in my game as it throws out one of the basic themes of Shadowrun which has been going since 1st edition, which is the rivalry / exclusivity of Magic and Technology. FanPro's explanation of how Technomancers are not magical is going to have to be astounding to convince me to use them, I'm afraid.

I'll repeat what I've said before: Technomancers are not magical in any traditional sense of the term, they definitely do not qualify as Awakened, and their abilities are certainly no more magical than an otaku's, after all Resonance and Magic are mutually exclusive. Take that as you will.
NightmareX
Synner, dude, thank you! You have no idea how happy that makes me!
Ravor
Aye, and a hearty second from me on that NightmareX!
Masterofthegame
QUOTE (Synner)
The timeline runs from late 2069 (Nov-Dec) to early 2071 (Jan-Feb) with the big events and shockwaves starting in June 2070 and unfolding during the latter half of the year. This should be full compatible with minimal adjustment for most group using the 2070 setting (just advance or rewind the dates a month or two to fit).

At this rate you can just wait the 62 years and see what happens. It seems likely that we'll get to watch the technomancers emerge before we get to read about it. nyahnyah.gif
bibliophile20
A really random thought that just occurred to me:

How is Emergence presented? All the SR3 books are presented as Shadowland e-docs, with Captain Chaos introducing each piece. Since neither Shadowland nor the Captain survived the Crash, will the book be presented as ShadowSea e-docs, whose existence was mentioned in Runner's Havens, or will it be presented as Jackpoint docs, like RH was?

Oh, and judging by the sound of things at the moment, I'll bet money that the book will hit the shelves during exams week--because the world is perverse that way.
Konsaki
To my knowledge, Shadowland survived due to Captain Chaos' sacrafice, though I might be wrong.
We still have FastJack right?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Konsaki)
To my knowledge, Shadowland survived due to Captain Chaos' sacrafice, though I might be wrong.
We still have FastJack right?

QUOTE (Runner Havens @ pg. 99)
ShadowSea—also called “Dark Emerald” for its darkgreen
iconography style—is the premier shadow node in Seattle.
ShadowSea was quickly assembled by a collective of hackers in
early 2065, to replace the void left when Shadowland Seattle (the
previous data haven) was destroyed by the Crash worm.

So Shadowland is gone, but ShadowSea was built to replace it (now all we need is ShadowAir and we'll have the complete set).

And FastJack is the one to introduce SR4 and he runs Jackpoint, so, yeah, we still have the old man.
Big D
I believe that they made a stand to keep the system online during the crisis minutes when chummers needed the data about the bombs and everything else that was going on. Thus, they paid for those precious minutes with the DDH. Other nodes went offline to protect themselves rather than stick it out, and would have survived, and I assume that they backed up and took offline as much data as they could before the virus got there.

As for the presentation... I'm still holding out for CC to make a jaw-dropping entrance at the intro. Probably wrong, but hey, it'd be dang cool.
TheRedRightHand
No, he's going to turn up at the climax. Or maybe at the very end, the last paragraph of the last page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012