Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does Buenos Aires 2070 look like?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
Buenos Aires' Metro area has a pop of 12,400,000 now. I think it would be bigger in the crazy shadow run world due the raise of Amazonia and the CC using the area around it as a stop gap for Amaozonia.
FlakJacket
Possibly, although you've got to remember that the world did get whacked fairly heavily thanks to VITAS, VITAS II and other various assorted diseases and natural disasters. The VITAS outbreaks alone killed off roughly a third of the worlds population. I've got no idea what sort of birth rate/population growth Argentina might have but I don't think it's going to be massively greater than today's one considering they'll only of had fifty years or so to come back from it.

As to the idea of Amazonian refugees that's certainly an interesting prospect. The main question though would be why would the Argentinian government want to let them in? I could certainly see them opening up a limited immigration program for those Brazilians with either the skills or resources needed to help contribute to the economy, but bugger the poor and unwashed masses. They get to be shipped off to urban reservation that is Metropole.

Edit: Which brings to mind another idea. If they did allow limited immigration that could set up a fairly sizable expatriate Brazilian community who you've got to figure would be more than just a little annoyed about being run out of their country by a dragon and a bunch of jumped-up animals. Could lead to their financing dissident political and terrorist groups back in Amazonia, which would no doubt bring the Departamento de Inteligencia e Seguranca Amazonica - Amazonian CIA - around asking questions.
JongWK
Between this and the other thread about SoLA, my heart is bleeding. Bleeding.

Quick reference from published sourcebooks: fascist state, lots of mercs, shantytowns aplenty ("villas miseria" or just "villas", the nickname for someone from those hell holes is "villero/a"), lots of media and glitz in sharp contrast to extreme poverty, strong anti-Amazonian feelings, Azzie help through Spanish connections.
Synner
Yep, I'm heartbroken too. I was particularly fond of all the stuff I had brewing in Argentina, the whole atmosphere just came together so much better than I expected in that draft...
Grinder
Salt on our wounds, salt. frown.gif
Ancient History
I'm just gonna laugh and y'all are gonna have to trust me that I deserve it.
Grinder
Whatever you say. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012