Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacker in a box
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
I have recently started playing Deus Ex and I love the multitool. This got me to thinking. What if we reversed the issue with the Hacker?

Basically have a version or versions of multitools as a dispossible or limited use hacking tools. You have one to hack mag locks. You have another to hack commlinks. They can be used by anyone but you can use them up. They sort of have a limited number of successes in them in a way. I can't think of why that would be so but I like the limited resource.

Maybe this is something that a hacker can make but it takes a while. The hacker can still do the slow hacks but they have all these tools to speed up the process. They can create them and hand them to team mates.

One of the things that they had in the game was an ICE Breaker with a limited time. I like this as well. Basically imagine that it isn't a matter of hacking past the firewall and you are in, moving around with a chance of the alarms going off after a while. Basically you have your exploit program suppressing the IC for a limited amount of time. It is going through hundreds of tricks but it will run out after only a few rounds. Fast Hacks become how much can you find in this system quickly before your time runs out. This could be what happens with highly secure systems. The system is trying to force you out and you are suppressing that for a few turns. You are deactivating cameras and grabbing randoms e-mails hoping something you grab will be useful later. The higher your exploit rating the longer you have vs the higher the IC rating the shorted time you have.

Thanee
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
They sort of have a limited number of successes in them in a way. I can't think of why that would be so but I like the limited resource.

There's only one idea I can think of, which might explain this...

There needs to be a worldwide database (kinda like nowadays with the anti-spam databases), which will include any 'tricks' used already and thus make them more or less useless in future.

Bye
Thanee
lorechaser
You just started playing Dues Ex?

HEATHEN!

And you're taking time off to post?

FOOL!

Go finish it first. Then come back. I'm playing Redsun2020 right now - it's fairly amusing.

The multitool is actually something I've toyed around with as well, but it doesn't really fit in the SR idea. The SR version would probably allow you to do certain things once each.

Of course, you can easily handwave it and just say "That's how it works, bozo!"

pestulens
I always thought of Multytools as more like a single use hardware skill than hacking skill.

And I can't find my copy. Muts re-installlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Garrowolf
well I liked the idea of having a tool that is hard to find for most people and can let you get by without a hacking skill. This way only the hacker needs hacking skill.

I like that about the database of tricks thing. That may be the solution. I'm thinking it would be nice if it had charges of some sort. I'm going to have to think about it for a while. I'm probably going to use it in my SR Space game as well.
Ravor
Well I guess I always figured that was one of the things which a character could use a high rating Agent for... (Not that I'm saying it would really be effective, but if you wanted that kind of feel, then you could simply use the existing Agent rules and say that they are more self aware.)
Garrowolf
Actually I banned Agents in my game from being able to hack. I use them as an interface for your commlink. They can do everyday data serach and computer rolls for you but not hacking. I don't like the idea of a piece of software taking the place of a character type.
Ravor
Ok, then I guess I must be confused as I thought you wanted a tool which would allow someone to basically hack without using the hacking skill....
Garrowolf
I guess I'm wanting a limited use version to be able to do a specific thing. Maybe have a whole set of equipment like this. I'm not trying to replace the hacker.

I was going to have some thing like a multitool for locks and security systems. Maybe something that they would have to get another of after each mission because of the database thing.
Ravor
Ok then, why not use the rules as if the wal-zo you are using is a Rating X Agent using Rating X Program but rule that each time/run that it is used it loses a Rating Point?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (pestulens)
I always thought of Multytools as more like a single use hardware skill than hacking skill.

And I can't find my copy. Muts re-installlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Agreed, they're more like hardware tools used against maglocks.

Good luck with Deus Ex! One of my favourite all time games (the best if not for the limited replay value compared to Civ2 gold).

I still have my old copy, thank god biggrin.gif The problem is that I have played the game too often for it to challenge or entertain me much longer.

Oh well, perhaps I'll play it again in a year or two!

If you need any tips Garrowolf, let me know Ok? I pretty much know the game by heart and every secret there is.
lorechaser
Redsun2020, I tell ya. Give it a go.
Garrowolf
Thanx. So far I haven't gotten stuck too long in one place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012