Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Meriss
So here's my char for an upcoming PbP Any thoughts, comments, questions?
Don't worry about the gear I've got 300 Karma unspent still. Also I don't get the BP for SINer. Also we're playing as Ares Firewatch.

Name: Bang
Race: Troll
Concept : Phys Ad

Stats
Body: 9
Agility: 4
Reaction: 4
Strength: 9
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 2
Logic: 2
Willpower: 3
Edge: 2
Magic: 3

Skills
Close Combat Group: 4
Firearms Group: 3
Intimidation: 4
Climbing: 3
Perception: 3

Knowledge skills
Small Unit Tactics: 2
Weightlifting: 2
Megacorp Operations: 2

Languages
English (Natural)

Adept Powers
Berserk
Improved Combat Ability
Killing Hands
Inertia Strike

Qualities

Positive Qualities
Adept
Guts
High Pain Tolerence

Negative Qualities
SINer
Uneducated
Phobia (Doctors)

Contacts
Pops (Pawn Shop/Fence) C: 3 L: 1
May Summermoon (Mage) C: 3 L: 3
Slaughter (Decker) C: 3 L: 2
Mr. Smith (Corp) C: 1 L: 1

Resources

Gear
100 rounds pistol, and rifle
Ares Alpha Combat Rifle
Ares Preadator IV Pistol
Combat Webbing
Dress Uniform
Helmet with chem seal, Smartlink
Armoured Vest
Fatigues (Troll Sized)
Collapsible Club
Heavy Impact Gloves
Demon Ferret (Bob)
10,000 nuyen.gif

OK Changes made as per suggestions. Now I need sugestions for more Knowledge Skills.
X-Kalibur
Something you may want to note, unarmed combat relies on your agility + skill to hit. May want to pump it up some.
Lagomorph
Magic: 3? you don't appear to have taken any magic positive qualities, or any spells/powers.

Also, most melee skills use agility IIRC, you won't be hitting too often with 2 agi. unless you're planning to spend part of that 300 karma to raise your stats. in which case, drop the 2's to 1's because it would be cheaper to raise them with karma than with BP.
Meriss
Lagomorph adept powers are under knowledge skills. biggrin.gif
Thanee
All this character can do well right now is stand there and take damage. wink.gif

You really need to improve AGI and REA at the very least, if you want the character to be half-way decent in combat; and getting some Perception skill won't hurt either.

BTW, why do you list Clubs under Skills when you already have Close Combat Group and what is Combat there supposed to be?

I doubt Shadowing will work well for him.

Intimidation under Knowledge Skills doesn't seem overly useful either, as it already is an Active Skill. I would probably just use those 2 Ranks elsewhere.

And how much does Bob, the Demon Ferret cost? biggrin.gif

Also, you cannot chemical seal a helmet, AFAIK, only full body armor.
It's also not good, except for inhalation vector stuff, obviously.
I suppose that's what you were aiming for, kinda like an armored gasmask.

What's Combat Webbing?

Bye
Thanee
ornot
I think what Lagomoph was getting at is that you've not bought the adept quality, ergo you can't have magic or adept powers.

As for attributes: the previous posters are right. You're going last with an initiative of 4 (not fatal in and of itself) you aren't getting out of the way of anything with a reaction of 2 and no dodge or athletics to boost it. You're going to have a tough time hitting anyone with only 6 dice too.

Clubs is covered by the unarmed combat group, and I don't know what the three ranks of 'combat' are even for. He isn't going ot be spotting anything without perception, and although you can offset that with vision mods, you haven't.

I'd be inclined to combine interrogation and intimidation into the knowledge skill of psychology, although he isn't the brightest cookie, so I'm not sure how you'd justify him learning it, and for all those ranks in intimidate he has a very low charisma. I wouldn't want to trust him with demolitions either, again due to his lack of smarts.

You might want to buy some ammo for those guns.

I am also intrigued by Bob the Demon Ferret. Tell us more!
Meriss
Yup Thanee that's roughly what he's supposed to do. Clubs are a skill focus for him. My GM hasn't said How much Bob costs. 2K to 3K or 5BP seems reasonable. The gear is Standard Equip for Ares Firewatch. I have no clue what it is/does biggrin.gif
ornot
5BP?!! You realise that equates to Y25k?

Also, what is this skill focus you speak of? I don't recall any rules for such a thing in the RAW.

Combat webbing, I would assume, is basically a belt or harness of some sort, to which you can strap backpacks pouches and other gear. At least that's roughly what webbing is in a military context.
Grinder
QUOTE (Thanee)
What's Combat Webbing?

Basically a vest with many pockets iirc.
Thanee
QUOTE (Meriss @ Mar 30 2007, 09:19 PM)
Concept : Phys Ad

As has been said, you need the 5 BP Positive Quality Adept.

Qualities
Positive Qualities
Guts
High Pain Tolerence

Adept Powers
Berserk
Improved Combat Ability
Pain Resistence
Killing Hands
Inertia Strike

You do realize, that Improved Ability and Pain Resistance cost .5 Magic per level?

You only got them at level 1 each (i.e. +1 die for one combat skill, i.e. Clubs).

Also, Pain Resistance and High Pain Tolerance are incompatible!

Stats
Body: 10
Agility: 2
Reaction: 2
Strength: 9
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 2
Logic: 2
Willpower: 3
Edge: 2
Magic: 3

You have spent 185 BP on Physical/Mental Attributes. That 10th point of Body costs you a lot. wink.gif I would probably drop it down to 9 and rather raise Agility and Reaction to 4 each.

Skills
Clubs: 3
Combat: 3

If these are supposed to be the bonuses from your Adept Powers, they are totally wrong. You only get +1 die for Clubs, nothing else, as explained above. The Magic Rating is the limit on how many extra dice you can get, but you have to pay for each of them (.5 PP each for Improved Ability (Combat)).

Bye
Thanee
Meriss
Bob Is a Demon Ferret, an Awakened ferret, four feet of angry, scratching, biting, key stealing fun. He knows three "tricks" Fetch go and get a designated item, Attack jump an innocent victim, Track use his nose to find a designated person. Yah I noticed that I forgot to state Bang is a Physa Ad. As for intimidation and Demo he just use his massive size/fists. biggrin.gif
Meriss
I must point out that I don't have my book(SR4) yet. So most of what you see is me futzing around with a Chargener
ShadowDragon
I'd go back to the drawing board with this guy. Sorry to say, but as he is now, he's good at absolutely nothing. What were you planning to do with him? Is he supposed to be a combat guy?
Meriss
Basically He's a door breaker, damage sponge, tank.
Thanee
Looks a lot better already. smile.gif

Skills
Close Combat Group: 4
Firearms Group: 3
Combat: 3
Climbing: 3

The 'Combat' entry is still there... there is no such skill. And the Adept Power Improved 'Combat' Ability works different than that.

Adept Powers
Berserk
Improved Combat Ability
Killing Hands
Inertia Strike

What you could do is...

Skills
Close Combat Group: 4 (+2 with Unarmed Combat)
Automatics: 4
Pistols: 4
Athletics Group: 1

Adept Powers
Berserk
Improved Ability (Unarmed Combat) 2
Killing Hands
Inertia Strike

Of course, you could also take Clubs instead of Unarmed, but Killing Strike only works with Unarmed, so I suppose that makes more sense.

I would also drop Berserk and get 2 points of Mystic Armor or Combat Sense instead. Or 3 points of Critical Strike and something else for .25 PP.

Also, the 20 BP to raise Magic to 5 would be a good investment, maybe give him Improved Reflexes 1 for those 2 PP. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
ornot
Hmm... he doesn't really need improved reflexes to be a bullet sponge, although mystic armour would be a good choice.

Climbing is not terribly useful since he's already rolling more dice than most just defaulting with his Strength.

I would be inclined to put some points in Heavy Weapons, seeing as he's a heavy, and they're on an Ares Firewatch team, so resources is less of an issue and LMGs are a distinct possibility.

I'd also rethink uneducated. Why would Ares hire some dumb as rocks troll with no schooling? Of course you might have backstory to explain that.
Thanee
Attributes [260 BP]

Body: 9 [40 BP]
Agility: 4 [30 BP]
Reaction: 4 [30 BP]
Strength: 9 [40 BP]

Charisma: 2 [10 BP]
Intuition: 3 [20 BP]
Logic: 1 [0 BP]
Willpower: 4 [30 BP]

Edge: 3 [20 BP]
Magic: 5 [40 BP]

Active Skills [126 BP]

Close Combat Group: 4 [40 BP]
(+2 with Unarmed Combat)
Automatics: 4 [16 BP]
Pistols (Semi-Automatics): 2(+2) [10 BP]
Heavy Weapons: 4 [16 BP]
Athletics Group: 1 [10 BP]
Perception: 4 [16 BP]
Intimidation (Physical): 4(+2) [18 BP]

Knowledge Skills

Megacorp Operations: 2
Small Unit Tactics: 2
Weightlifting: 2
[6 Ranks more]

Languages

English (Natural)

Adept Powers

Improved Reflexes 1 -or- Mystic Armor 4 [2 PP]
Improved Ability (Unarmed Combat) 2 [1 PP]
Critical Strike 4 [1 PP]
Killing Hands [0.5 PP]
Inertia Strike [0.5 PP]

Positive Qualities [25 BP]

Adept [5 BP]
Guts [5 BP]
High Pain Tolerence 3 [15 BP]

Negative Qualities [-35 BP]

SINer [0* BP]
Iatrophobia [0* BP]
Sensitive System [-15 BP]
Uneducated [-20 BP]

Contacts [19 BP]

Pops (Pawn Shop/Fence) C: 3 L: 1
May Summermoon (Mage) C: 3 L: 3
Slaughter (Decker) C: 3 L: 2
Mr. Smith (Corp) C: 3 L: 1

Resources [5 BP]

Ares Alpha Combat Rifle
Ares Preadator IV Pistol
Combat Webbing
Dress Uniform
Helmet with chem seal, Smartlink
Armoured Vest
Fatigues (Troll Sized)
Collapsible Club
Heavy Impact Gloves
Demon Ferret (Bob) [1 BP]
20,000 nuyen.gif [4 BP]

Bye
Thanee
Meriss
Hmm Thanee I like what you did But why trade Phobia for sensitive system? Also what's the BP total on your build?
Meriss
QUOTE (ornot)
Hmm... he doesn't really need improved reflexes to be a bullet sponge, although mystic armour would be a good choice.

Climbing is not terribly useful since he's already rolling more dice than most just defaulting with his Strength.

I would be inclined to put some points in Heavy Weapons, seeing as he's a heavy, and they're on an Ares Firewatch team, so resources is less of an issue and LMGs are a distinct possibility.

I'd also rethink uneducated. Why would Ares hire some dumb as rocks troll with no schooling? Of course you might have backstory to explain that.

Ares hired him as Corpsec first and moved him to Firewatch after they realized hes was an Adept grinbig.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (Meriss @ Mar 31 2007, 02:06 AM)
Hmm Thanee I like what you did But why trade Phobia for sensitive system? Also what's the BP total on your build?

Just added it in, since it's kinda the standard Negative Quality for awakened characters. And there are no rules for Phobias, so you would have to figure out with your GM how an Iatrophobia would work in terms of game effects and BP.

You can still roleplay that, of course. wink.gif

Total is the standard 400 BP.

Bye
Thanee
Ravor
Well personally even as an Adept I'd consider looking into some cyber so that Senstive System migth come back to haunt you... Which granted is the point of Flaws, but I think its worth mentioning...
Glyph
But the bulk of useful 'ware for an adept is bioware, which isn't affected by sensitive system. It might make getting a bit of cyber more inconvenient, but it isn't crippling. For 15 build points, it is still a bargain.
ornot
I tend to feel that sensitive system is rather too many points for what it does. Sure you're crippled if you ever want cyberware, but as Glyph points out, it has no effect on bioware.

To make it a little more worth those points, I tend to warn players that it may cause problems (dice penalties) with some medical procedures covered by healing, and with respect to organic drugs. While I won't impose penalties on every medicine/first aid or drug resistance check, I reserve the right to do so. Of course some people might feel that sensitive system is plenty bad enough to warrent those 15BPs without additional penalties, and I'd be interested to hear their reasons.
Grinder
Back in SR3, it was only worth 5 points for awakened characters and 15 for mundanes - that's the way we're handling it in our campaign.
ornot
That makes a lot of sense Grinder.
Grinder
Thanks. smile.gif
Ravor
Hmm, thanks for the correction, it seems that I've been counting it against both Cyber and Bioware, although as you said, for 15 BP it still is a fairly good flaw so I think I'll continue to House Rule it. cyber.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Grinder)
Back in SR3, it was only worth 5 points for awakened characters and 15 for mundanes - that's the way we're handling it in our campaign.

Not quite. It was three points (the equivalent of 15 points in SR4) for mundane characters, and two points (the equivalent of 10 points in SR4) for awakened characters.
Grinder
Oh, mea culpa. Thanks for clarification. smile.gif
Meriss
Thanks for the help all. Keep watching for a new improved Bang. (New Thread) also I'll be looking for Karma spending suggestions. Thanks Again! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012