Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supercavitation Submarine
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
maeel
The Main idea: a submarine of the size between a hunter/killer sub and a boomer but of the shape of a very aerodynamic spaceship.

It would have cavitators placed all over the hull to ensure a (allmost) complete cavitation bubble around the ship.

The ship would be powered by an aneutronic boron fusion reactor.
Propulsion would be offered by an magnetohydrodynamic drive system for shallow/tight waters and some sort of underwater jetengine, which would directly vaporize seawater with reactor plasma and provide the required thrust for supercavitation speed.

What do you guys think?
TheUrbanMonkey
cavitation is noise caused by the propellers creating air bubbles as they move through the water (IIRC), so why would you want a lot of that?
bibliophile20
Because cavitation is a bubble of air; air has less resistance and less drag than water which is why you can move much faster in air than in water; having a "super-cavitating" bubble around a submarine would thus allow you to achieve incredible speeds in the water (VA-111 Shkval supercavitating torpedoes have been clocked at speeds in excess of 200 knots (~370 km/h))

Wikipedia on supercavitation
toturi
In effect, warp speed underwater.
pbangarth
How would the crew of such a ship detect other ships or torpedoes through the noise generated by their own ship?
maeel
they would not, but they could move to the battlefield much faster where they would switch to MHD, which would make them very silent.
Garrowolf
There is a nice scifi web setting based on this called Deep Angel. It might give you some ideas.
Fix-it
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 1 2007, 02:12 AM)
How would the crew of such a ship detect other ships or torpedoes through the noise generated by their own ship?

a towed sonar array would enable them to listen, and some signal processing would cut out their own sounds.
Garrowolf
A towed array wouldn't work at those speeds. You would drown it in noise.

I think that you would almost be forces to use active sonar or indirect sensors from other craft or satellites.
maeel
thanks garro, i looked into it, pretty nice stuff.....
Garrowolf
I love the graphics on that site
PBTHHHHT
Yikes, all cool is moving fast, but for subs being detected means death. That the enemy knows where you are and also where you stop when you get to the battlefield...

I can see it more for an escape situation, but even then only for extreme situations. Can the sub supercavitate far enough to get out of enemy aircraft who can drop torpedoes on their location? That's also something to consider if used as an escape.
SpasticTeapot
IMO, slow and steady wins the race.

There's also something to be said for drones. Explosive drones.
Garrowolf
Well part of the point of a supercav Sub is that it can go anywhere in the world much more quickly then a regular sub. They are still hard to detect. They are moving too fast for a torpedo to hit (unless it is a supercav torpedo). They get into the area that they are needed and then go quiet and hunt. They don't hunt at high speed.
Catharz Godfoot
If you're using fictional tech anyway, just say the hull is hooked up to act as a giant noise-canceling speaker array, and you have a set of 3 'hulls' projecting into the water and holding sensor suites.
Vertaxis666
There are several reasons why this won't work.

1. Supercavitation is noisy. Submarines are the ultimate stealth weapon and depend on their silence for survivability and advantage. A supercavitating sub would be heard underwater from several hundred nautical miles away.

2. Propulsion requiring the intake of water would fail since the submarine resides withing a supercritical bubble. There is no contact with the water.

3. To maintain supercavitation, you would sacrifice all manoeuvrability. The sub would be travelling in a straight line at all times with a manoeuvering capability of +/- 1-5 degrees only.

4. The sub would be blind travelling at supercavition speeds. No only would the noise flood the sonar, but any sensor probe push outside the supercritical layer would rapidly erode and fail. This leaves only inertial guidance for position, and no sensors to detect targets or obstacles.

As a weapon, the shkval is deadly. But scaling up to a sub just doesn't make any sense.
maeel
Actually it was not intended for military purposes but as a freighter. Sure superfreighter can move much more stuff, but they are not as fast. Planes are faster but cant move as much.

As for the waterintake and the sensors: the cavitators do have contact with the water. Electronic systems can filter out the own noise for sonar purposes.

however the stuff i read at deep angel, made me to rethink the design, now the sub is powered by an oxygen hydrogen rocket engine.
Garrowolf
A supercav sub would be using rockets to move that fast. We know about super cav because of missile fired underwater have this as a side effect. I think that the Russians even have a supercav torpedo.

While it was operating in Supercav mode it would operate more like a plane in dense fog. It would also be moving very fast. It could move into an area and then go silent. I'm sure they would develop tactics to deal with the initial noise like coming in on the other side of an island. Then they would go silent. This would at least make it hard to figure out where it was and it could hide in it's own arrival noise for a while. An opposing naval that was nearby enough to do anything about it would have a large contact that they couldn't find immediately afterwards.

Also you can use this to get into allied waters and then launch a short range missile salvo into a different land locked country. That country wouldn't have a navy to do anything about it and you have just responded faster then anyone knew you could.
maeel
In military terms i wouldnt see supercavitation subs as competition to normal subs but to surface warships.

btw garro: duck...duck...duck... GOOSE!
Fix-it
QUOTE (maeel @ Apr 2 2007, 10:16 PM)
Actually it was not intended for military purposes but as a freighter.  Sure superfreighter can move much more stuff, but they are not as fast.  Planes are faster but cant move as much.

planes can't carry much, but airships can.

there is NO reason that airships can't replace nauticle ships. the only reason they fell off in the '20s was because of the Hindenburg. 40s and 50s technology would have solved most problems (helium, lighter materials, better engines).

I know in my games most cargo non-bulk cargo (electronics, equipment, anything that fits in a std. container) goes by airship/suborbital. it's faster and easier to secure against pirates, and also you don't have to hit customs every time you hit a border.

A towed array wouldn't work at those speeds. You would drown it in noise.

sonobouys then? you could communicate with lasers easily enough.
KarmaInferno
There's too many problems associated with supercavitation for it to be used as a main propulsion system on any sort of craft.

You've taken the number one advantage submarines have and tossed it out the window. Stealth. Even if you turn it off when you get to your hunting ground, the enemy can easily extrapolate a radius where you're likely to be at.

Whereas a normal sub can slip into an area with the enemy not even knowing it's there until it is far too late.

You can only go in straight lines, and you're blind while it's on. That alone makes it massively unsuitable.

It works for torpedoes because by the time you are launching those, stealth is no longer as much of an issue. The enemy will know something is up no matter what kind of torpedo you use. Torpedoes of this sort don't have to worry about being blind or moving in straight lines - targeting is handled by the sub, not the torpedo. The idea is to have the torp move too fast for the enemy to evade.

Heck, if you're worried about the torpedo track giving away your sub's position, you could probably design one so it takes an indirect path to the target, only turning on the supercavitation when it's coming in from a different direction to the enemy than where the launching sub is at.

The supercav mode is for getting into that part of the world - not for hunting. The problem with subs today is that they are fairly slow. It takes a long time to get one close. That is why we have so many of them.

Maeel Duck? What?!?
Lagomorph
Just drop the subs from space platforms, they'll get where they are going pretty quick that way. And as a bonus they are undetectible by sonar that way until it's too late. The best of both worlds smile.gif
hyzmarca
Two words, amphibious aircraft. Take cargo jet and have an Ally Spirit of Water in the form is a whale inhabit it, going for a Hybrid Merge.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (maeel)
In military terms i wouldnt see supercavitation subs as competition to normal subs but to surface warships.

...The Ku class light attack cruiser...another fine product of Aeon technologies
Wraithshadow
Hmm- but how would a supercavitation sub compare to a hydrofoil craft? If you're looking to compete with surface craft, I don't see much advantage to the sub: you're already giving up stealth, and a surface craft would have far more ability to navigate just because you'd be able to see where the heck you were going.

Supercavitation subs might work better as a variation on what's been mentioned before- you position them quietly in neutral waters, pre-check their flight-path (that's basically what it is, after all) and wait for the go signal. At the point you get it, you rocket into range and deliver your payload before the enemy can react. Depending on what the sub's carrying you might have a couple score cruise missiles heading for a land-bound target or a spread of torpedoes targeting their docks. Just make sure that your inbound vector's set so that you can either hide or get back out again as quick as possible.
Serial_Peacemaker
I think a lot depends on how loud supercavitation actually is, versus the speed you are getting. A couple hundred miles an hour is damn fast for anything maritime, and underwater you really don't have to worry too much about surface conditions which would kill a hydrofoil. Though I can't see it as much use for charges. After all if you really want to give them a surprise hit you could launch cruise missiles from the same sub.
maeel
Just because supercav subs can go supercav does not mean that they have to.
Personally i believe that future navies wont have surface warships and submarines, but supercavitation capable ships that can do all the tasks of the former..

Again! Just because your ship is capable of supercavitation does not mean that it is always wise to use it.

In addition to that i believe supercav is loud, in fact so extremly loud that i wonder if passive sonar systems might have trouble to determine the source due to echo and other problems.

@ garro: having oots in your sig, but not recognizing the latest episode... shame on you.... silly.gif
Garrowolf
Actually I am thinking about the poor whales and dolphins on the wind screens!

Maeel - Ah I got it. That part in the jail was my favorite part so far. I would love to get a T-Shirt with just that panel on it.
maeel
One of my players got a supercav freighter as some sort of mobile home, because i was inspired by firefly. now he plays his char to be an enviromentalist, and he also noted that he only uses supercav in emergencies because 'da poor whales cant see shit, if i use dat alot...'

@ garro: i find xykon and company extremly funny...especially when they talk about sacrificing hobgoblins...
KarmaInferno
On a silly note, supercavitation appears in this week's Iron Man comics.

A "rogue" artificially-intelligent version of the Iron Man armor, needing to increase it's ability to move quickly in underwater combat, vents compressed air at high pressure across most of it's body surfaces to achieve a partial supercavitation effect.

The plausibility of this actually working in real life is suspect, but it was a fun fictional use.

I found an interesting article on supercavitating bullets. Apparently designed for greater penetration through body tissues (rather than speed), it probably would not be really useful in most combat situations, but might be of use in big game (metacritters?) hunting where penetrations depths of feet or even yards might be required.

I still believe that for a combat submarine, the fact that you would be alerting your targets that you have arrived in the area outweighs any possible benefit of speed. It's not warp drive, after all, even at 200 MPH it would still take a good chunk of time to travel any significant distance. Even if you shut off the supercav drive when you get there, every enemy ship in the area would have heard your approach, and have plenty of time to go full alert and start active sonar sweeps and arm everything they've got. As opposed to a normal sub being able to deliver a strike before anyone even realizes it's there. Alerting the enemy is a bad thing.

I concede that supercav might have application for a pure non-stealth transport, but in the vast majority of cases such a craft would be inferior to using simple air transport.

PBTHHHHT
On another note, here's a site on supercavitating vehicles in a fictional game world.
http://www.deepangel.com/html/empire_-_synopsis.html
Looks like it's a game in progress.
Fix-it
Supercav would be usefull for deep-water strategic repositioning

crossing entire oceans in days instead of weeks.

otherwise, you'd just use an impeller tunnel or electro-static propulsion. nice and quiet.
Cray74
QUOTE (Vertaxis666)
There are several reasons why this won't work.

1. Supercavitation is noisy. Submarines are the ultimate stealth weapon and depend on their silence for survivability and advantage. A supercavitating sub would be heard underwater from several hundred nautical miles away.

This isn't a problem for deployments, though. A fusion-powered submarine able to travel at 200 knots can get to trouble spots in 1/7th the time of a fast-moving conventional sub. Then it go stealthy and quiet.

2. Propulsion requiring the intake of water would fail since the submarine resides withing a supercritical bubble.  There is no contact with the water.

Incorrect. There is contact with water in several areas in supercavitating submarine designs, especially the "skis" that keep the submarine from falling out of its own bubble. Subs are buoyant in air, not in underwater air bubbles. Sensors, communications, and other items can poke outside the bubble at a necessary increase in strain. So can propulsion units, like the propellers of hydrofoils.

3.  To maintain supercavitation, you would sacrifice all manoeuvrability.  The sub would be travelling in a straight line at all times with a manoeuvering capability of +/- 1-5 degrees only.

Would you provide a reference explaining that?

4.  The sub would be blind travelling at supercavition speeds.  No only would the noise flood the sonar, but any sensor probe push outside the supercritical layer would rapidly erode and fail.  This leaves only inertial guidance for position, and no sensors to detect targets or obstacles.

What, magic doesn't work in supercavitating subs? smile.gif Just send the sub's mage astral and have him scout ahead, or use a variant of the "x-ray vision" spell of SR3.

As for erosion, no, water won't inflict that on a properly designed sensor probe. Handling water at hundreds of knots is nothing new for pumps and pipelines; I'm sure the lessons there can be put to good use on supercav sub probes.

As a weapon, the shkval is deadly.  But scaling up to a sub just doesn't make any sense.

If you have a coastal or riverine navy with no interest in crossing oceans, I agree. But there is a potent force multiplier in being able to move your naval assets about at hundreds of knots - you can effectively have fewer ships in more places at once. Once so positioned, they'd have to behave like normal subs or become target practice, but that doesn't change the utility of being able to rapidly move warships around outside of hostile waters.

Hmm- but how would a supercavitation sub compare to a hydrofoil craft? If you're looking to compete with surface craft, I don't see much advantage to the sub: you're already giving up stealth, and a surface craft would have far more ability to navigate just because you'd be able to see where the heck you were going.

That's a really good point. There are easier ways of moving ships quickly than supercavitating subs.

Oh, and going back to the original post: aneutronic boron fusion is unlikely to work. It suffers too many energy losses to sustain its operating temperature.
Garrowolf
Why would the communications need to be in the water? We are talking about an air bubble not a force field.
Cray74
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Why would the communications need to be in the water? We are talking about an air bubble not a force field.

If the communications are sound-based or laser-based, you don't want to try to project the signals through the vapor-water interface. It'd be like trying to send them through heavy surf. Easier to stick a communications arm into the water now and then.
maeel
Oh, and going back to the original post: aneutronic boron fusion is unlikely to work. It suffers too many energy losses to sustain its operating temperature.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. From what i have read on wikipedia, this kind of fusion is a tricky one, but very promising, if made feasible. D-T reactors are too heavy and too large to be used on ships, not to mention the problems of radioactive fuel and waste.
Cray74
QUOTE (maeel)
I wouldnt be so sure about that. From what i have read on wikipedia, this kind of fusion is a tricky one, but very promising, if made feasible. D-T reactors are too heavy and too large to be used on ships, not to mention the problems of radioactive fuel and waste.

Yes, boron-hydrogen fusion is promising, but it has a couple of big strikes against it.

First, and primarily, the p-B11 reaction is very lossy. At the conditions necessary to sustainably generate power from the p-B11 reaction, you suffer 1.74x as much energy loss to bremsstrahlung radiation as you're generating from the reactions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneutronic_fu...n#Power_balance

Or, to summarize: the p-B11 reaction won't generate power.

There are also some secondary problems once you handwave pass the whole "doesn't generate power" part:

Second, p-B11 has a low reaction rate and very high operating temperatures, resulting in the need for a MUCH larger reactor (much more plasma volume) than a deuterium-tritium reactor. Contrary to your assertions that a D-T reactor would be larger, a p-B11 reactor would be the larger reactor by a factor of at least 700 (for the same power output), and potentially 2100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneutronic_fu...n#Power_density

Third, p-B11 does generate neutrons in some side reactions, accounting for 0.2% of power produced. As neutron shielding thickness and mass is determined as a function of individual neutron energies, not neutron quantities, p-B11 would need quite substantial shielding to handle the 2.9MeV neutrons coming from the reaction - and the much larger reactor volume will make the shielding heavier than that of an equal-power D-T reactor's shielding.

In comparison, D-T fusion has some issues with neutron radiation generation and the associated waste, but this is a problem that has been largely solved by 7 decades of neutron-filthy fission engineering. In exchange, D-T fusion has the advantages of the most compact form of fusion reactors, easiest fusion reaction to achieve, and provides an easy way to harness the energy released from the fusion reactions thanks to the volumetric deposition of neutrons in the reactor wall.
maeel
If the necessary conditions could be attained, this would open up the possibility of net energy production from p-11B or D-3He fuel. The feasibility of a reactor based solely on this effect remains low, however, because the gain is predicted to be less than 20, while more than 200 is usually considered to be necessary. (There are, however, effects that might improve the gain substantially).

Doesnt sound like 'wont generate power' to me. sounds more like a maybe yes maybe no. Why would scientist research this, if they know that it will not work.

Fortunately, with careful design, it should be possible to reduce the occupational dose of both neutron and gamma radiation to operators to a negligible level. The primary components of the shielding would be water to moderate the fast neutrons, boron to absorb the moderated neutrons, and metal to absorb X-rays. The total thickness needed should be about a meter, most of that being water.[26]

Which would be very different from several meters of shielding for D-T Fusion, not to mention that generating power via neutron heated steam is bulky and inefficient, and if it comes to submarines its also noisy.

not to mention:
The neutron flux expected in a commercial D-T fusion reactor is about 100 times that of current fission power reactors, posing problems for material design. Design of suitable materials is underway but their actual use in a reactor is not proposed until the generation after ITER. After a single series of D-T tests at JET, the largest fusion reactor yet to use this fuel, the vacuum vessel was sufficiently radioactive that remote handling needed to be used for the year following the tests.

so as long as there is no scientific statement that says it is definitely impossible, i will assume that they managed it by 2070....
Cray74
QUOTE (maeel)
If the necessary conditions could be attained, this would open up the possibility of net energy production from p-11B or D-3He fuel. The feasibility of a reactor based solely on this effect remains low, however, because the gain is predicted to be less than 20, while more than 200 is usually considered to be necessary. (There are, however, effects that might improve the gain substantially).

Doesnt sound like 'wont generate power' to me. sounds more like a maybe yes maybe no. Why would scientist research this, if they know that it will not work.

Why don't you read what you quoted. It's recommended that there's a 200:1 power gain, while hydrogen-boron-11 fusion occurs at a 1:1.74 LOSS.

The reason that scientists research this is because of the attraction of aneutronic fusion. It's alluring, it's useful, and if it works out, it's good stuff. Despite the odds, it's worth investigating to see if there's a loophole. But when you put all the material together, there isn't a loophole. And what you quoted even says the feasibility is low.

Fortunately, with careful design, it should be possible to reduce the occupational dose of both neutron and gamma radiation to operators to a negligible level. The primary components of the shielding would be water to moderate the fast neutrons, boron to absorb the moderated neutrons, and metal to absorb X-rays. The total thickness needed should be about a meter, most of that being water.[26]

Which would be very different from several meters of shielding for D-T

You ignored it my last post, so I'll lay out the basic math for you:

A proton-Boron-11 fusion reactor needs TWO THOUSAND, ONE HUNDRED TIMES the volume of a D-T reactor. I don't care if the D-T reactor needs 10 meters of radiation shielding while the p-B11 reactor needs 1-meter, the p-B11 will still have heavier shielding because the reactor is 2100x bigger than the D-T reactor of the same power output.

Take a moment and just ponder what "2100x the size" means. That's a speedboat compared to an Aegis-class missile cruiser. It's a typical car compared to 2-mile train. Variations in surface thickness do not come close to closing the gap when there's a 2000-fold difference in volume.

Fusion, not to mention that generating power via neutron heated steam is bulky and inefficient, and if it comes to submarines its also noisy.

So screw steam. Use the neutrons to heat heat exchangers that warm a gas and drive gas turbines. Or heat up heat exchangers that can power thermoelectric units.

The neutron flux expected in a commercial D-T fusion reactor is about 100 times that of current fission power reactors, posing problems for material design. Design of suitable materials is underway but their actual use in a reactor is not proposed until the generation after ITER. After a single series of D-T tests at JET, the largest fusion reactor yet to use this fuel, the vacuum vessel was sufficiently radioactive that remote handling needed to be used for the year following the tests.

so as long as there is no scientific statement that says it is definitely impossible, i will assume that they managed it by 2070....

What you just quoted in no way supports your conclusion. Did you read the material before you posted?
maeel

i read: this would open up the possiblity of net energy production
which sounds very much like a' maybe it can be done' to me.

A proton-Boron-11 fusion reactor needs TWO THOUSAND, ONE HUNDRED TIMES the volume of a D-T reactor. I don't care if the D-T reactor needs 10 meters of radiation shielding while the p-B11 reactor needs 1-meter, the p-B11 will still have heavier shielding because the reactor is 2100x bigger than the D-T reactor of the same power output.

Take a moment and just ponder what "2100x the size" means. That's a speedboat compared to an Aegis-class missile cruiser. It's a typical car compared to 2-mile train. Variations in surface thickness do not come close to closing the gap when there's a 2000-fold difference in volume.

The way i read it, only if you compare power density at the same pressure.
However,

In comparison, D-T fusion has some issues with neutron radiation generation and the associated waste, but this is a problem that has been largely solved by 7 decades of neutron-filthy fission engineering.

was what i tried to disprove with

The neutron flux expected in a commercial D-T fusion reactor is about 100 times that of current fission power reactors, posing problems for material design.

Not to mention you require two volatile fuels (one highly radioactive), which would pretty much crap to have on a submarine.

You might be right that aneutronic fusion is not doable with conventional designs like the tokamak. Still:

Since the confinement properties of conventional approaches to fusion such as the tokamak and laser pellet fusion are marginal, most proposals for aneutronic fusion are based on radically different confinement concepts

I dont claim to be an expert in plasma physics, but as long as it is being researched as a possible powersource, i assume that there are REAL experts, who work with this stuff on a daily basis. And if they believe that there might be a loophole, then thats good enough for me.
Da9iel
I wasn't intentionally looking for this, but this video on fusion is really informative and relevant.
Cray74
QUOTE (maeel @ Apr 9 2007, 04:07 AM)

i read: this would open up the possiblity of net energy production
which sounds very much like a' maybe it can be done' to me.

It's a "may be possible" sort of thing that invokes the fusion research equivalents of unobtainium, like megatesla confinement fields. Practically speaking, it's not feasible.

The way i read it, only if you compare power density at the same pressure.
However,

Actually, when they're run at the same pressure, p-B11 requires 700x the volume of a D-T reactor for the same pressure output. As soon as you start relaxing the similarities so the D-T reactor can run in easier conditions, the advantage grows to 2100-fold.

In comparison, D-T fusion has some issues with neutron radiation generation and the associated waste, but this is a problem that has been largely solved by 7 decades of neutron-filthy fission engineering.

was what i tried to disprove with

The neutron flux expected in a commercial D-T fusion reactor is about 100 times that of current fission power reactors, posing problems for material design.

Yes, there are problems for material design due to the neutron flux, but they're not impossible problems, and there's a huge body of engineering knowledge for solving the issues. And the problem of neutron flux in D-T fusion is starting off from the basis of "yes, we have working solutions, just imperfect ones," while the problem of p-B11 fusion is starting at "it doesn't work, because it suffers more losses than it generates." Of the two, solving the neutron flux of D-T fusion is the easier issue to solve.

Trade carbon linings for vanadium linings would be a start, as would switching to D-D or D-He3 fusion.

Not to mention you require two volatile fuels (one highly radioactive), which would pretty much crap to have on a submarine.

...yeah. Let's review real world and Shadowrun submarine designs before addressing that objection.

In the real world, nuclear submarines carry diesel back-up power plants with substantial tonnages of diesel aboard (not to mention torpedo fuel, explosives, flammable hydraulic oils, etc.). The typical oxygen generation system of submarines also generates substantial quantities of hydrogen. Non-nuclear military submarines carry even more diesel and, in the cases of those subs with fuel cell AIPs, they also carry that "volatile" fuel you mentioned, hydrogen. I'm sure you're aware that the quantity of hydrogen required by fuel cells dwarfs the quantity of hydrogen (in deuterium and/or tritium formats) required by fusion reactors.

In Shadowrun (3rd edition), a multitude of submarine options use volatile fuels, not the least of which are fuel cell power plants. Again, I'm sure you can make the comparison of hydrogen requirements for a fuel cell vs a fusion reactor.

In short, the volatility of hydrogen in a submarine is not an exceptional problem, particularly not in the tiny quantities required of a fusion-powered submarine.

As for radioactivity, tritium emits beta particles that can be stopped by a sheet of paper. If it's really bothering you, shift to a deuterium-deuterium reaction or D-He3, both of which are still much more favorable than p-B11.

Since the confinement properties of conventional approaches to fusion such as the tokamak and laser pellet fusion are marginal, most proposals for aneutronic fusion are based on radically different confinement concepts

I dont claim to be an expert in plasma physics, but as long as it is being researched as a possible powersource, i assume that there are REAL experts, who work with this stuff on a daily basis. And if they believe that there might be a loophole, then thats good enough for me

It shouldn't be good enough for you - you should maintain a healthy skepticism because fusion research tends to be filled with pie-in-the-sky dreamers who can claim abundant PhDs. Predictions of fusion performance by the most knowledgeable insiders have consistently outpaced actual performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012