Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aztec calendar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
http://www.azteccalendar.com/calendar-calculator.html

and the 6th world will arrive on: house, movement, flower
Angelone
Reed, Lizard, Water. Lizard and Water are giving me ideas, one for a run from hell and the other for an ordeal.

The 13-day period Cuetzpalin (Lizard) is ruled by Itzlacoliuhqui. The 13 days of this trecena are governed by the meting out of irrational rewards and punishments. These are 13 days of confusion, a time when the noble and ignoble have equal chance to be raised up or thrown down. The warrior must be like the lizard, who is not hurt from a high fall but, instead, immediately climbs back to its perch. These are good days to keep out of sight; bad days to attract attention.

The protector of day Atl (Water) is Xiuhtecuhtli, Lord of the Year, the old god of fire. Atl is a day for purification by subjecting oneself to the ordeal of conflict. It is a good day for battle, a bad day for rest. Water brings out the scorpion, who must sting its enemies or else sting itself. Atl is the day of the holy war, which is always a battle with one's own enemies within.
knasser

Wow! My birth signs actually cover me pretty darn well, and I think that's allowing for bland generalities. Talk about the power of co-incidence!
Grinder
Reed, Wind, Deer - seems I'm someone who overcomes old habits and is constantly seeking for something new. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
Flint Knife, Movement, and Death

The flint knife for year is associated with the direction of the north. The movement has something about self-purification, the death one something about the day of transformation, signifying the briefest moment between old endings and new beginnings and a day to reflect priorities in life.

Looks like I have to constantly reassess who I am and what direction I want to go and also to indulge less of self-gratification. Heh. Plus, north... well, I did grow up in the South and I did move up to DC... now contemplating going up further north. lol. ohplease.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Straight Razor @ Apr 1 2007, 05:42 AM)
http://www.azteccalendar.com/calendar-calculator.html

and the 6th world will arrive on: house, movement, flower

Not that it has any game-play effect, but the writers of Shadowrun got the date for the beginning of the 6th world wrong. The BBB claims the 6th world will begin on 24 December, 2011.

The most widely accepted date (yes, the 'experts' have a couple of different conversion factors they use) for the beginning of the 6th world is 21 December, 2012. (reference: Robert J. Sharer and Lori P. Traxler (2006), The Ancient Maya 6th edition , Stanford University Press, p. 784)

Even if you use less accepted conversion factors, the date doesn't swing as far as a year back.

The website above agrees with the most accepted date, as it shows 21 December, 2012 in the Mayan Long Count as 13.0.0.0.0.
Kagetenshi
I'm not sure if they got the date wrong, or if the idea was that the Mayans got the date wrong. Even if it was initially an error, I support the latter position for rectifying it.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
The one year difference could be foreshadowing about the faster than usual increase in the mana levels...

It wasn't just the GGD.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm not sure if they got the date wrong, or if the idea was that the Mayans got the date wrong. Even if it was initially an error, I support the latter position for rectifying it.

~J

The Maya system was inernally consistent, and they couldn't get a date wrong unless they did bad arithmetic. Errors can be introduced when we try to convert from their system to our calendar, due in part to the fact that the long count fell largely out of use some hundreds of years before the Spanish showed up, and we have to scramble to fit a few dates we can guess about to line up our calendar with theirs.

The one year difference could be foreshadowing about the faster than usual increase in the mana levels...

Hmmm... interesting idea. How clever of the writers to think of this. Are they cool or what? ;o)
Kagetenshi
They could get the date wrong if their calendar was intended to wrap on the Awakening but instead did so a year later.

~J
pbangarth
OK, assuming the time periods devised by the Maya for constructing the Long Count were based on earlier mana cycles, then maintaining the measurement despite a speeding up of mana cycling would bring the Maya calendar out of synch with the mana.

But the error in the Shadowrun 'history' is in associating the date 24 December, 2011 with the Maya Long Count termination and restart. On the other hand, the 4th edition of the BBB makes a less explicit conection than earlier versions, and speaks of the Awakening as "ushering in" the Maya 6th world. An usher could come before the actual event.

Have we wandered deeply enough into obscurity yet? ;o)
Moon-Hawk
Right. I don't think the return of magic was a binary on/off switch. They have their cutoff dates based on certain magic levels. But the commonly accepted beginning of the 6th world was the first dragon sighting. So maybe the magic levels weren't up to Mayan standards, but they were close enough and dang it the dragon wanted to stretch his wings. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, I prefer to think that the magic levels were up to Mayan standards, and there was just nothing special enough about the creators to allow them to be correct to that much precision.

~J
Lindt
House, dog, crocodile. Random.

This begs the bigger question. Who's hosting the party on 12/21/2012?

Why 2012?
Some interesting bits on the question.
Spike
Perhaps the exact day of 'awakening' is always somewhat in flux... that is, only 'circa' any given date. So the Maya simply picked the date that astrologically held the most significance in relation to the changing of worlds. There are perfectly valid reasons to have chosen that day beyond wether or not it was the beginning of the new world.
MaxHunter
House, snake, monkey myself. However I did not understand what it "means" exactly...

ludomastro
House, stone knife, deer for me.
Ophis
Rabbit, Rabbit, Vulture...

Maybe the Mayan long count predicts the first winter solstice after the awakening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012