Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Character
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Meriss
Yay! GM Approved my char! And I spent my last 14K soo .... I'm done Thanks to every one who helped out.

Name: Bang
Assigned Name: Ben Grim
Race: Troll

Appearance:
A truly massive troll standing eight feet, ten inches tall. Tipping the scale at eight hundred and twenty pounds. He would be a monster if not for the somewhat snaggle toothed grin on his face. His relatively short horns reveal his young age. He often can be seen in the corp. enclave's park munching his way through a four-gallon tub of Rocky road. He almost always wears his faded Firewatch fatigues.

Attributes [260 BP]
Body: 9 [40 BP] 10 [30 Karma]
Agility: 4 [30 BP] 5 [15 Karma]
Reaction: 4 [30 BP] 6 [15+18 Karma]
Strength: 9 [40 BP]
Charisma: 2 [10 BP] 3 [9 Karma]
Intuition: 3 [20 BP] 4 [12 Karma]
Logic: 1 [0 BP] 3 [6+9 Karma]
Willpower: 4 [30 BP] 6 [15+18 Karma]
Edge: 3 [20 BP] 4 [12 Karma]
Magic: 5 [40 BP] 6 [18 Karma]

Active Skills [126 BP]
Close Combat Group (Unarmed Combat) : 4 [40 BP] (+2) 6 [25+30 Karma]
Automatics: 4 [16 BP]
Pistols (Semi-Automatics): 2(+2) [10 BP]
Heavy Weapons: 4 [16 BP] 6 [10+12 Karma]
Athletics Group: 1 [10 BP] 2 [10 Karma]
Perception: 4 [16 BP]
Intimidation (Physical): 4(+2) [18 BP] 6(+2) [10+12 Karma]

Knowledge Skills
Megacorp Operations: 3
Small Unit Tactics: 3
Weightlifting: 3
Ice Cream: 3
Police Procedures (Tactical Entry): 3(2)

Languages
English (Natural)

Adept Powers
Improved Reflexes 1 [2 PP] (Improved Reflexes 1 -> 2 [1 PP])
Improved Ability (Unarmed Combat) 2 [1 PP]
Critical Strike 4 [1 PP]
Killing Hands [0.5 PP]
Inertia Strike [0.5 PP]

Positive Qualities [25 BP]

Adept [5 BP]
Guts [5 BP]
High Pain Tolerance 3 [15 BP]

Negative Qualities [-35 BP]

SINer [0* BP]
Iatrophobia [0 BP]
Sensitive System [-15 BP]
Uneducated [-20 BP]

Contacts [19 BP]

Pops (Pawn Shop/Fence) C: 3 L: 1
"Pops" may or may not be the oldest living person in the 6th world. It may just be that his "pawn shop" has been around the downtown core forever. He deals in anything resalable but prefers not to take commlinks or other traceable items.

<<<< Bull-drek the dude is just some creepy old breeder >>>>
OrkTastic
<<<< Not so my cranially challenged friend the gentleman in question emits an unusual aura very similar to a free spirit >>>>
MageMania

May Summermoon (Mage) C: 3 L: 3
May is a quiet Elven Wicca Maiden, she does some freelance consulting work for various single A corps and small time owner operators. One night she needed an extra mana boost and decided to use a small park to moon gaze while sky clad. Unfortunately she had also attracted some Humanis thugs. The thugs grabbed her and were prepared to rape and murder her. Unfortunately, all this was taking place in Bang's park. Bang saw the Humanis and decided that he could use the extra cash so he jandered over. Two minutes later he jandered back to his lair with all the Humanis thug's clothes and May under his arms. May woke to the sight of a troll smiling at her. After she woke up again she realized that the troll had saved her life and her honour. The two have been fast friends ever since.

Slaughter (Decker) C: 3 L: 2
Slaughter is a off and on Ork shadowrunner, he usually looks for paydata anywhere he can find it. He often uses Pops Pawn shop to clear out his old and spamy data and goods. One night while looking for cheap chips or BTLs he saw a large troll enter with a pillowcase. Amused he watched the unusual transaction. Slaughter knowing that trolls often get ripped off interceded. Pop explained that every week or so the troll came in, dumped a pillowcase on the Table and waited for the tally. Struck by the human’s apparent honesty Slaughter cheerfully offered the troll work as a meat guard. Bang happily accepted and joins the Ork for the hairier jobs.

Mr. Smith (Corp) C: 3 L: 1
Mr. Smith first noticed Bang while playing Mr. Johnson for an Ares sub corp. Bang was working with Slaughter at the time. Struck by the troll’s enormous frame he realized that the monster would be perfect for a corpsec bodyguard. With a little finesse the canny Smith brought Bang aboard.

Resources [5 BP]
Ares Alpha Combat Rifle
Ares Predator IV Pistol
Combat Webbing
Dress Uniform
Helmet with chem. seal, Smart link
Armored Vest
Fatigues (Troll Sized
Collapsible Club
Heavy Impact Gloves
Demon Ferret (Bob) [1 BP]
20,000 nuyen [4 BP]
286 Karma spent

Background
Born in 2061 the infant who would be Bang was happy and cheerful. But this would change. In 2062 almost immediately after his first birthday, the normal infant began to change. Horrified his mother went to doctor after doctor desperately searching for a cure. In the end however there was no help as the healthy human infant became a healthy troll infant. Saddened and terrified by the change in her beautiful baby Bang's mother abandoned him in a metahuman orphanage. The newly goblinized troll
was confused and frightened by his new surroundings, he lashed out with anger and fear. He got his name from his favorite word "bang". When he turned twelve the now adult Bang realized that no one could stop him and simply walked out of the orphanage. He spent the next few years living on the streets. Eventually he found a small park in the down town core. Bang quickly made a lair under the small foot bridge and became a troll under a bridge, mugging passerby for whatever cash and valuables they had. Eventually he met Pops and used the pawnshop to get cash for food and toys. The ork decker Slaughter met the Bang and offered him work as a meat guard. The Elven mage May Summermoon would often encourage Bang to better himself. Soon however the corperate operative Smith noticed Bang and offered him a job as a corpsec. When the corpsec directors noticed the troll's obvious magical physical powers they promoted him to Firewatch as a damage sponge. Bang now lives in an Ares enclave and works for Firewatch.
Demerzel
Just a thought:

The current US Military (in a time of great recruiting woes) won't recruit an uneducated Logic 1 person, why would Ares Firewatch?

I'm pretty sure the Military still requires a High School Diploma/GED.
Kyoto Kid
...looks pretty good.

I can say I wouldn't want to be on the receving end of his left cross: 13DV = *Big Ouch*

"...say goodnight Gracie..."
-G. Burns
fool
actually that would be 9 dv Srength/2 (round up) + 4.
I'd actuallty drop a point or two from body/strength and give him more logic and or charisma. If he ever wants to buy anything or think anything a logic of 1 and charisma of 2 are pretty big hampers, and to be perfectly honest really difficult to role play. I mean, do you really want to act as if you have a logic of 1 "uh whats this commie thing? and how do I use it to call that guy who's supposed to pay us?" Hell, with a logic of one, you probvably couldn't even keep track of how much money you had since you couldn't count that high. Especially when you combine it with uneducated, then you start getting into the realm of you can never use your commlink, or anything that requires any logic like finding your way from point a to b or opening a can of soy treats.
And I'm guessing that your gm reintroduced phobiasas a neg. quality. Though, anyone involved in combat like you're obviously going to be, probably shouldn't be afraid of doctors (If my greek serves me correctly iatro means dr), since that would include anyone using even a med kit on you.
what's a demon ferret anyways?
Meriss
Yup fool D, that's Bang in a nutshell. He Goblinized at one and still has problems. He gets some stuff. Other stuff he relies on Slaughter for. Ares hired him as pure muscle in the beginning and transferred him to Firewatch as a living battering ram, damage sponge, and all around blunt instrument. A demon ferret fool, is an Awakened ferret four feet of pure chaos biggrin.gif
To the moon Alice...
Jackie gleason
Jack Kain
Aries doesn't want smart troopers, smart troopers think instead of following orders. But big dump trolls don't think they just crush whom ever you point at and give a credstick.
The smart guys sit back in the city master or in the corp office and command remotely.
Then again you can always say he USED to be smarter but just suffered a severe blow to the head.

Just give him Virtual Pet hamster named Boo and he's good to go even with his poor logic.
Meriss
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Apr 2 2007, 10:12 PM)
Aries doesn't want smart troopers, smart troopers think instead of following orders. But big dump trolls don't think they just crush whom ever you point at and give a credstick.
The smart guys sit back in the city master or in the corp office and command remotely.
Then again you can always say he USED to be smarter but just suffered a severe blow to the head.

Just give him Virtual Pet hamster named Boo and he's good to go even with his poor logic.

Troll voice "I ave a pet he name Bob, I like Bob. I like Ice cream. /troll voice
*pleasent troll toothy smile*
Thanee
QUOTE (Meriss @ Apr 2 2007, 09:49 PM)
And I would appreciate Karma spending suggestions I have 300 to play with.

These are all things I would probably aim to raise with Karma... if you have 300 (!), that shouldn't be much of a problem, really. wink.gif

Body: 9 -> 10 [30 Karma]
Agility: 4 -> 5 [15 Karma]
Reaction: 4 -> 6 [15+18 Karma]
Charisma: 2 -> 3 [9 Karma]
Intuition: 3 -> 4 [12 Karma]
Logic: 1 -> 3 [6+9 Karma]
Willpower: 4 -> 6 [15+18 Karma]
Edge: 3 -> 4 [12 Karma]
Magic: 5 -> 6 [18 Karma] -> (Improved Reflexes 1 -> 2 [1 PP])

Close Combat Group: 4 -> 6 [25+30 Karma]
Heavy Weapons: 4 -> 6 [10+12 Karma]
Athletics Group: 1 -> 2 [10 Karma]
Intimidation (Physical): 4(+2) -> 6(+2) [10+12 Karma]

Total Karma for everything up there: 286

Megacorp Operations: 4
Small Unit Tactics: 4
Weightlifting: 4

That was my first thought as well, but I didn't suggest it in case you have a better idea. Apparantly not. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Iatrophobia [5 BP]

You can't have more then -35 from Negative Qualities, though (hence why I listed it with 0*).

Have fun! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
toturi
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes. Raargh!

A den of steeenkin evil. Cover your nose, Boo!
DigitEyez
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Ares might not want smart troopers but a plain retarded troopers is a whole other case. They do need to have him follow orders in a intelligent way.

An attribute of one is really close to being mindlessly confused... (Take a look at the Decrease [Attribute] Spell on page 200 SR4)
Thanee
The final character will have 300 Karma on top of that, apparantly, so it hardly matters, since Logic will surely not stay that low. wink.gif

Of course, he could simply start with Logic 2 and Intuition 2 instead of 1 and 3.
I just found the lower starting Logic to be fitting, considering the Uneducated flaw.

Bye
Thanee
Grinder
QUOTE (Meriss)
Troll voice "I ave a pet he name Bob, I like Bob. I like Ice cream. /troll voice

I never allow trolls like that to be played in my campaigns. Everyone running in the shadows or working for corp sec/ military should be at least of average intelligence.
Meriss
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Meriss @ Apr 3 2007, 04:19 AM)

I never allow trolls like that to be played in my campaigns. Everyone running in the shadows or working for corp sec/ military should be at least of average intelligence.

Bang has about the inteligence of a smart twelve year old. He is clever enough to play "big dumb troll" to the hilt as well. Also uneducated means you don't have high school It does not mean you are completly without some smarts. Wait for the background paragraph.
Meriss
QUOTE (Thanee)
Iatrophobia [5 BP]

You can't have more then -35 from Negative Qualities, though (hence why I listed it with 0*).

My Gm said 5 BP was OK for Phobia (Doctor) Thanks for the Karma help!
azrael_ven
I though group skills were limited to no higher thank ranking 4, if I remember correctly; so there is no way you could raise them to 6.
Demerzel
The cap of 4 is at Chargen. This is Chargen + 300 Karma, so the presumption that the KArma expendature does not have to conform to regular chargen limits.
lorechaser
Indeed. A 1 in SR4 is just low end. A 0 is when you're truly debilitated. There's a lot of discussions on this lurking about. wink.gif
Demerzel
Well, a zero is unable to function in any way, highly autistic, etc. When you say low end, I'm not sure what you mean.

You mean like Low end = the guy who got D's and spoke a little slow?
Or do you mean Low end = Down's Syndrom level, but may be able to keep a job? That's about where I see a 1.
Kyoto Kid
...@ Fool: ahh, the short one's cognitive lapse must have kicked in again...knew something didn't seem right when I had to take the shoes off to keep counting.

However, a 9DV base is still quite painful (particularly with Killing Hands) Using his additional Karma, if he raised his Magic to 6 & took Penetrating Strike 2 (.5 PP), basically he would effectively have a PJSS in fist form. Use the other .5 for +1 /+1 Mystic armour since he only has a vest (I personally would have gone for the Jacket at 8 / 6) - or add another two levels of Critical Strike. Now he has an 11 base DV with -2 AP. With a DP of 13 (after the Karma adjustments to skills and attributes Thanee proposed) that would give him an average of 14 DV with a punch.

Literally, to the moon, Alice... (maybe even Mars?)
lorechaser
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Well, a zero is unable to function in any way, highly autistic, etc. When you say low end, I'm not sure what you mean.

You mean like Low end = the guy who got D's and spoke a little slow?
Or do you mean Low end = Down's Syndrom level, but may be able to keep a job? That's about where I see a 1.

1 is defined as "weak"
2 is "underdeveloped"
3 is "Typical"
4 is "Improved"
5 is "Superior"
6 is "Maximum Human Potential"

I think you can easily apply those to grades.

6 is genius. A++
5 is A's
4 is B's
3 is C's
2 is D's
1 is F's
0 is mental deficiency.

So the 1 is the guy that maybe failed out of school. He's not the opposite of a genius. He's the opposite of the A student. 3 is typical. 1 is two points under - the equivalent is "Superior"

To me, at least.
Thanee
QUOTE (Meriss @ Apr 3 2007, 04:16 PM)
My Gm said 5 BP was OK for Phobia (Doctor) Thanks for the Karma help!

That's cool, but 40 would still be over the limit in total. wink.gif

Just keep it as it is now with 0 gained for the Phobia. That's fine, as it's little more than a roleplaying aid, anyways.

Now what to spend my last 14 Karma on?

Just keep them and save for initiation.

Or learn some new skill at Rank 3 for 12K plus one specialization for 2K.

Bye
Thanee
fool
as to the iatrophobia, if I were gming it I would include anyone with a heal spell, after all, tehy are acting as a healer.
If I had known about the 300 karma, many of the problems wouldn't of been pointed out because they can be overcome with karma. I'd erase the uneducated flaw straight off so that you can get other skills cheaper.
@ KK, yeah t 9 dv that hurts alot, but 13 would be instant death.
@ meriss, he shouldn't be called ben grimm, he's more like the Hulk. Ben grimm was actually rather smart, he was after all a scientist/ astronaut.
DigitEyez
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I think you can easily apply those to grades.

0 is mental deficiency.

So the 1 is the guy that maybe failed out of school. He's not the opposite of a genius. He's the opposite of the A student. 3 is typical. 1 is two points under - the equivalent is "Superior"

To me, at least.

Someone with a mental deficiency is very capable of getting that F. The classes overlap so, I'm afraid to say that this example tells us nothing. I'd say that 1 is a mental deficiency and 0 is worse then that, say a vegetable, following the things mentioned by the Decrease [Attribute] spell (on page 200 SR4, as said before). So I'd have to disagree...
Glyph
An Attribute of 1 is underdeveloped. But I don't see things like Down's Syndrome applying, because that person with a Logic of 1 can, over the course of play, raise that Attribute up to 4.

The low Logic, I don't have a problem with. The Uneducated negative quality is more of a problem, as far as meshing with his background (what I know of it) goes. Someone with that flaw is unaware in any technical or professional skill that the he doesn't personally have. I don't see that meshing too well with any kind of modern fighting force. Now, I could see such a limited character being used by organized crime, or as some kind of deniable asset, but I have a hard time picturing this character as part of an actual paramilitary organization. But maybe the full background explains it better.
Meriss
QUOTE (fool @ Apr 3 2007, 05:47 PM)
@ meriss, he shouldn't be called ben grimm, he's more like the Hulk.  Ben grimm was actually  rather smart, he was after all a scientist/ astronaut.

Heh I wondered if anyone would catch that. I used a derivitive by dumping the Things second M. And the doc phobia is from the year his mom spent trying to "cure" him, he gets bad subconsious associations of anyone with a needle, white coat or other Doc stuff.
Meriss
QUOTE (Thanee)

I may just do that if My GM OK's it.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Meriss)

Attributes [260 BP]
Body: 9 [40 BP] 10 [30 Karma]
Agility: 4 [30 BP] 5 [15 Karma]
Reaction: 4 [30 BP] 6 [15+18 Karma]
Strength: 9 [40 BP]
Charisma: 2 [10 BP] 3 [9 Karma]
Intuition: 3 [20 BP] 4 [12 Karma]
Logic: 1 [0 BP] 3 [6+9 Karma]
Willpower: 4 [30 BP] 6 [15+18 Karma]
Edge: 3 [20 BP] 4 [12 Karma]
Magic: 5 [40 BP] 6 [18 Karma]

Active Skills [126 BP]
Close Combat Group (Unarmed Combat) : 4 [40 BP] (+2) 6 [25+30 Karma]
Automatics: 4 [16 BP]
Pistols (Semi-Automatics): 2(+2) [10 BP]
Heavy Weapons: 4 [16 BP] 6 [10+12 Karma]
Athletics Group: 1 [10 BP] 2 [10 Karma]
Perception: 4 [16 BP]
Intimidation (Physical): 4(+2) [18 BP] 6(+2) [10+12 Karma]

So, you're spending 260 BP and 177 Karma on your attributes. First of all, for Body->10 30 Karma is a bad deal compared to 25 BP.

Starting~
Bod: 10 (65 BP)
Agi: 4 (30 BP)
Rea: 5 (40 BP)
Str: 9 (40 BP)
Cha: 1
Int:
Log: 1
Wil: 5 (40 BP)
Edge: 1
Magic: 5 (40 BP)

BP total: 255.

Increase to~
Agi: 5 (15 Karma)
Rea: 6 (18 Karma)
Cha: 3 (15 Karma)
Int: 4 (27 Karma)
Log: 3 (15 Karma)
Wil: 6 (18 Karma)
Edge: 4 (27 Karma)
Magic: 6 (18 Karma)

Karma total: 153.

Behold the power of Min/Max! Saves you 5 BP and 24 Karma.

Now for the skills...

Purchase all of your specializations with Karma. Start out with Intimidation (or Heavy weapons) at 6.
Grinder
Doesn't he spend too many BP on attributes or is my math wrong (possible, 'cause I'm really tired).
Thanee
Edge and Magic don't count.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Min/Maxed characters die young. wink.gif
Grinder
Wow, I didn't notice that he has a Magic attribute embarrassed.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (Thanee)

Bye
Thanee

Everyone in Shadowrun dies young. wink.gif

Min/Maxed characters take more people with them!
Meriss
QUOTE (lorechaser)
QUOTE (Thanee @ Apr 4 2007, 02:59 AM)

Bye
Thanee

Everyone in Shadowrun dies young. wink.gif

Min/Maxed characters take more people with them!

LOL! Bang crush, Bang smash. Nothing can stop Bang!
fool
except a mage with a dcrease logic spell. rotfl.gif
Kyoto Kid
...heck. figuring out the remote for the Trivid stops KK4.4.

Don't need any spell.
fool
yeah but the dec. log. spell stops her from doing anything else at all. And a character with a logic of 1 only gets 1 d to resist. ouch
Kyoto Kid
...not too much of a diff. Give her even the simplest technical challenge and she'll be befuddled for hours. Better than wasting a spirit's service using confusion on her.

Gotta love "bricks".
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Thanee)

Min-maxed character which aren't given a crap-ton of Karma to start out die young. Otherwise they can be quite durable wink.gif

QUOTE (Grinder)
Doesn't he spend too many BP on attributes or is my math wrong (possible, 'cause I'm really tired).

I figured that, as long as I used less BP and less Karma, it would be legal.
fool
any charater with 300 K is going to be durable, but their street rep will be such that they can't really be useful as a chadowrunner since that's the threshold at which their noteriety means that every lonestar mook would recongnise their face.
Unless of course you don't bother with those rules.

[/QUOTE]Gotta love "bricks".[QUOTE]
Actually I don't really like bricks because they aren't really suited for surviving in real life. And most players metagame to play them with their own level of logic (which most players have higher than 1) What I mean is that the player will have the character use complex tactics which irl would require a level of logic higher than 1.
Ravor
Although I tend to ignore the Public Awareness automatically going up part of the Reputation Rules, but from a strict reading of RAW once your Public Awareness starts being a hassle, become a screw up for a bit, then buy off your Notoriety with your Street Cred until you become a no-body once again. (Silly yes, but as far as I can tell, it is perfectly legal under RAW.) cyber.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fool)
Actually I don't really like bricks because they aren't really suited for surviving in real life.

From the Core Book P.61

Logic represents a character’s memorizing ability and raw
brainpower. It denotes how fast a character learns, how much
she can remember, and how well she can execute pre-planned
sequences. A Logic-lacking character might get overwhelmed
when confronted with a lot of details and may have a poor
memory—especially for facts and figures
. Characters with a
high Logic rating will likely be excellent book-learners, able to
deal with computer and magic theory with ease, and capable of
building (and tearing down!) machinery and electronics.

Intuition covers “mental alertness”—the ability to take in
and process information, to read a crowd, to assess a situation
for danger or opportunity.
A character with little Intuition may
be unobservant, may rarely think things fully through, or could
simply be “slow.” A character with a high Intuition is adept at
making the best of a bad situation, knowing when to leave before
an encounter escalates, noticing small clues, and working
from instinct

What KK and Bang may lack in Logic (1) they make up for in Intuition (KK: 4, Bang: 3).

QUOTE (fool)
And most players metagame to play them with their own level of logic (which most players have higher than 1) What I mean is that the player will have the character use complex tactics which irl would require a level of logic higher than 1.

...oh, I agree, this type of character is very challenging to play. Keep in mind though Intuition is instinct and perceptiveness which come more into play in a combat situation.

Logic: Assess the situation of the guard at the door, how much he can see of the grounds in front of him and deduce what the best possible options are available.

Intuition: "I don't want that guard to shoot me so I better be real sneaky about it. Hmm there's a dumpster over there & a couple of parked cars. When he looks the other way..."
Meriss
How much karma for Police Procedures: 2
Meriss
QUOTE (Meriss)
QUOTE (Thanee @ Apr 3 2007, 05:38 PM)

I may just do that if My GM OK's it.

Boy I can't read can I?
Thanee
Actually, since Police Procedures is a Knowledge Skill it has a different cost. wink.gif

I would just deduct the 2 Ranks from your other Knowledge Skills.

Bye
Thanee
Meriss
well what is th Karma cost then Thanee?
Thanee
New one at 1 costs 2K and improving it is the new Rating in Karma.

Bye
Thanee
Meriss
Thanks Thanee! To one and all THANK YOU!
Kyoto Kid
...sorry for the slight derail on the "brick" issue. Just trying to get a point across that there are other ways to compensate for a deficiency or handicap & still roleplay the character well.
Meriss
NP KK. Funnily enough I usually play the brick/meatshield/damage sponge etc. or the brilliant mage/spellslinger
Kyoto Kid
...for me the opposite end is the brainy tech/hacker(decker)/B&E specialist.

Outside of adepts, never really had a thing for magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012