Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about called shots
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
VNVNational
The called shot rules state that you may shoot a pistol out of somebody's hands with a -4 penalty to your dice pool.

They also state that you can shoot somebody in the head for +4 DV / -4 dice.

Or, you can shoot somebody in an unarmored location for -(armor value) dice.

Odds for the average runner wearing, say.. an armored jacket, their legs, feet, hands, and head are all unarmored. Now, given that the whole idea of shooting an unarmored area is to do *more* damage than normal, let's assume that the unarmored location people are aiming for is the head. Afterall, shooting somebody in the hand, leg, or foot is likely to do less damage rather than more damage.

The same can really be said about the whole +1 DV / -1 dice pool thing. I guess you could argue that the groin would be another valid location for this shot, but when it comes down to it, that'd be more stun damage than anything when compared to a chest shot.

I fully understand the tactical implications as to when to use these various shot methods, but what I don't understand is the logical reasoning behind it. Why does a headshot cause +4 damage with a -4 pool mod in one way (but still strangely add armor to the resistance test), and -8 dice with no armor on the resistance test with the other mechanic.

Moreover, how is a pistol easier to hit than a head? It's smaller, and usually moving around more and faster.

Maybe I'm just being stupid and asking questions that don't need to be asked, since the mechanics work fine in a "balance" way (although I'd argue that +1DV for -1 die is a no-brainer if you have 10 or more dice. It's like netting 2 dice, given that it's a benefit of 3 if you figure probability, and a penalty of 1).

The real reason I'm asking is this: What if a person is wearing a mask? One of my players plays a mage that wears a mask that is a spellcasting focus. He realizes he could wear something much smaller and more inconspicuous, but for style reasons he likes the mask. In my opinion, anybody with half a brain is going to shoot him in the face to break that thing if he starts slinging fireballs. The issue is two-fold: Do I say that anybody who shoots to avoid his armor is hitting him in the head, and thus breaks his expensive focus and possibly blows his brains out, or do I apply a mere -4, do normal damage, and break the focus? Or.. should the focus be more difficult to break? I almost hate to penalize him just for trying to be a little stylish. But then again, it makes logical sense to me to go for it.
treehugger
I'm new to the 4th edition game system, but i had the same kind of interrogations.
In my opinion, every thing must be abstracted : when a players makes a call shot, he is in some way raising the stakes. He's betting that he can still hit with a lower dice pool (and his opponent will have an easier time dodging) and if he succeeds, he'll be rewarded with additional damage.
In fact, this is kind like the system used in L5R and 7thsea.
so for this kind of called shot, i'll consider there is no "localisation" involved. It was just some kind of deadly shot.
The bypassing armor thing is quite the same : who cares WHERE he shoots ? The character is shooting where there is no armor, that's all.
Now for a specific move, the true location is mentioned (the head for the mask, the hand for the weapon etc ...)
In that case as it is noted its the GM that chooses the specific effects.
I would rule in such a case that a call shot will break the mask (or at least it will make a resistance test) but the attack does minimum damage.
I know this doesnt sound realistic, but this is a RPG, the rules are here to serve the story first, try to simulate reality second.
If your characters are mature enought (as gamers i mean : they have enought experience to know that the game is more important than the accuracy of the rules), they'll accept the fact, and just move on.
eidolon
QUOTE (treehugger)
so for this kind of called shot, i'll consider there is no "localisation" involved. It was just some kind of deadly shot.
The bypassing armor thing is quite the same : who cares WHERE he shoots ? The character is shooting where there is no armor, that's all.
Now for a specific move, the true location is mentioned (the head for the mask, the hand for the weapon etc ...)
In that case as it is noted its the GM that chooses the specific effects.

Verily, in 3rd ed. rules, a called shot either allows you to specify hit location or to increase the damage (by assuming that you are firing at an unspecified "unarmored" location), both at a +4 penalty to your TN. With this precedent in mind, treehugger's approach sounds pretty good.
VNVNational
True enough.

I guess I'm just sometimes faced with similar requests, even by my players. "I want to shoot at this specific location." Usually I just determine their reasoning. If it's to do more damage, I have them roll at the proper mod, apply the bonus damage, and.. if they get enough hits that it kills the bastard, they hit where they wanted. If not, they were a little off but still effective.

I'm actually more concerned about what ruling to take should they wish to specifically fire at a piece of hardware on an enemy character, rather than do more damage. Is it a mere -4 like the hand shot, or..?

I could probably just remind them that, in the midst of a full-on firefight, it's pretty hard to be that precise with aiming unless you are merely an observer of the fight and able to make a couple take aim actions. Tough call. It is about the story, but if / when a player asks to do such an action, I hate to cheese it. I like to give them a fair chance. And if I thought about it as a gamemaster, I know my players have definately thought about it.
snowRaven
The easiest, for balance, is to give a penalty of HALF the highest armor value for a called shot to avoid armor.

Leather Jacket? -1
Lined Coat? -3
Armor Jacket? -4
Full Bodyarmor with helmet? -6

That makes it just as easy to hit with blind fire as circumvent full armor - reasonable to my ears.

Specific locations isn't really supported at all in shadowrun, so applying the rules to that with reason doesn't fly.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (VNVNational)
The same can really be said about the whole +1 DV / -1 dice pool thing. I guess you could argue that the groin would be another valid location for this shot, but when it comes down to it, that'd be more stun damage than anything when compared to a chest shot.

As an aside, you've got this exactly backwards - recent military operations have suffered much worse casualties from groin shots than center-of-mass shots. It's a tricky spot to armor, since there's a lot of flexibility required there, and some major blood vessels that can't be easily treated as well, making it very likely for a soldier to bleed out within minutes if shot in the groin, while having a much higher chance of survival if the round even penetrates his chest armor.
VNVNational
I suppose that makes sense, Mr. U. There are definately some major vessels there and it would be quite debilitating from the resulting loss of flexibility and movement, making it more difficult to do the things you might normally do to stop bleeding an the like.

Anyway. I agree that, in general, the rules really don't support specific locations but more a general attempt at hitting a vital point, where ever that may be. I just notice there's that one glaring exception to the rule: shooting something out of somebody's hand. That, to me, is a VERY specific called shot. It's just odd that you can shoot something out of somebody's hand at a mere -4 dice, but not pop them in the face with the same ease.

Maybe that says more about it maybe being too easy to shoot something out of the hand being a flaw than anything else.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Probably - but it sacrifices damage for a cinematic effect, which lots of folks like in their games.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
It's a tricky spot to armor, since there's a lot of flexibility required there, and some major blood vessels that can't be easily treated as well, making it very likely for a soldier to bleed out within minutes if shot in the groin, while having a much higher chance of survival if the round even penetrates his chest armor.

The groin is certainly more difficult to effectively armor, at least where rifle threats are concerned -- even with a groin protector with a small plate inserted, coverage is really poor. But are you saying that the chest has less/easier to treat major blood vessels? Because that would seem quite counter-intuitive. No matter how many times you count the iliacs, I don't think you'll get nearly as many square inches of "death from blood loss within 2 minutes" spots.
Nim
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The groin is certainly more difficult to effectively armor, at least where rifle threats are concerned -- even with a groin protector with a small plate inserted, coverage is really poor. But are you saying that the chest has less/easier to treat major blood vessels? Because that would seem quite counter-intuitive. No matter how many times you count the iliacs, I don't think you'll get nearly as many square inches of "death from blood loss within 2 minutes" spots.

I suppose if you're looking for a justification...the groin is a smallish area, compared to the torso. You can definitely pick a target area in the torso that's the same size as the groin and has more potential threat to the victim (though those target areas are likely to be better armored than the groin). On the other hand, though, you could argue that there are also sections of the torso that are less dangerous than the groin, and that the AVERAGE danger of a torso shot is lower than the AVERAGE danger of a groin shot.

Practically speaking, I think people probably don't shoot for just 'anywhere in the torso', but instead aim for a section of it that's rich in targets and easier to hit than the groin. But given the two areas as the game system defines them....
Mr. Unpronounceable
As I recall - the doctor talking about groin injuries in Iraq was mentioning that when triage was developed in Korea, and they were dealing with a lot of chest injuries, they came up with the idea of a 'golden hour' i.e. if treatment occurs within an hour the patient will likely survive. In Iraq, he said groin injuries get a 'golden five minutes.'

Most hits to the chest that don't penetrate the heart or aorta will take a while to kill - especially if there's someone around to pack the wound & apply pressure. By their nature, groin injuries are difficult to impossible to stem the bloodflow.
azrael_ven
I think the +4DV, -4Dice is extremely broken. You are giving up 4 dice for a 12 dice advantage to damage. Just one net hit and you are so golden. A 4P pistol suddenly becomes as good as an Ares Alpha. I'm glad my players haven't exploited this yet.
Ghostfire
QUOTE (azrael_ven)
I think the +4DV, -4Dice is extremely broken. You are giving up 4 dice for a 12 dice advantage to damage. Just one net hit and you are so golden. A 4P pistol suddenly becomes as good as an Ares Alpha. I'm glad my players haven't exploited this yet.

Until someone goes to dodge the attack. Suddenly, those extra successes are /very/ meaningful.

Against the average mook, boosting damage is usually overkill. Against opponents of a power level equivalent to PCs, higher Dodge and Reaction scores are going to be far more likely and common. +4 DV looks great on paper until you realize they can dodge /all/ damage much easier.

azrael_ven
Yes but if you were to pimp out pistols and agility and use apds... apsd... whatever the acronym is, you are one sick puppy. Oh wait, I also forgot to mention edge.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Ghostfire)
QUOTE (azrael_ven)

Until someone goes to dodge the attack. Suddenly, those extra successes are /very/ meaningful.

Against the average mook, boosting damage is usually overkill. Against opponents of a power level equivalent to PCs, higher Dodge and Reaction scores are going to be far more likely and common. +4 DV looks great on paper until you realize they can dodge /all/ damage much easier.

I'd say that "much easier" depends on your scale. The difference between shooting with 20 dice and 16 dice isn't all that much, but the difference between 8 dice and 4 dice is quite a bit of difference.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Nim)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 3 2007, 11:51 AM)

I suppose if you're looking for a justification...the groin is a smallish area, compared to the torso. You can definitely pick a target area in the torso that's the same size as the groin and has more potential threat to the victim (though those target areas are likely to be better armored than the groin). On the other hand, though, you could argue that there are also sections of the torso that are less dangerous than the groin, and that the AVERAGE danger of a torso shot is lower than the AVERAGE danger of a groin shot.

Practically speaking, I think people probably don't shoot for just 'anywhere in the torso', but instead aim for a section of it that's rich in targets and easier to hit than the groin.

Trained people aim for "center mass" because that is generally the largest surface area of the target, and the one you are most likely to be able to hit. Leg/arm/head shots are extremely difficult to pull off in any kind of high-stress shooting situation, even at very close ranges. If want to be able to hit your target in the first place, the torso is where you aim.

Of course, by SR rules, being in a firefight and hitting a human sized target in the chest at close range under good lighting conditions is TERRIBLY easy when compared to RL.
TheOneRonin
Conceptually, "called-shots" would make a lot more sense if the rules weren't so dang simplified.

First off, the should probably require either an ambush situation (Sniper at 600 meters, stationary target reading the morning news paper), or the target be in VERY close range.

Secondly, called shots shouldn't always be an all or nothing deal. If you are making a called shot to the target's head, you might shoot low and hit center mass. Perhaps something like a threshold increase should be required.

Thirdly, a called shot should be VERY difficult to pull off. So difficult, in fact, that the risk always outweighs the rewards, EXCEPT for those of exceptional skill. An SOFD-Delta operator might be able to pull it off about 30% of the time, but he'd normally be better off just shooting the target center-mass (prob 85% hit rate).
Austere Emancipator
Aorta (ascending and descending), heart, pulmonary arteries and veins, superior and inferior vena cava, brachiocephalic artery, subclavian and carotid arteries, liver, trachea.

I have zero medical training, but it is my understanding that being hit in any of the above with a projectile at mach 2.5+ results, without prompt medical aid, in a life expectancy of 5 minutes or less -- in many cases less than 1 minute regardless of any aid. The spine is a nice bonus.

By comparison, in the groin you've basically got 2 big targets: the common iliacs. Then there's the branches of these and various other small arteries which handle volumes far smaller than the major arteries of the chest.

The huge variety of the smaller arteries in the groin does, I suppose, mean that there's a fairly good chance of at least one of them being severed on any penetrating wound through there, whereas there are larger areas of the chest where there are no major arteries. On the other hand, as Nim said, there's an area at least as large, maybe twice as large as the groin that contains far more vital structures. If I had to choose where I wanted to get hit it'd be a tough choice.

One thing that might skew statistics on a military medical aid station is that if something vital in your chest is hit with a rifle, there's a good chance you aren't going to live long enough to get to an aid station -- the concentration of extremely vital bits basically makes survival rather binary, either giving you less than a minute or else closer to an hour.

Of course since I haven't actually done any research on this, I'm really just talking out of my ass.
Fastball
After thinking about called shots, I've realized they seem somewhat redundant with the other rules.

There are three reasons for called shots:
1. Bypass armor
2. Target a vital area
3. Knock something out of target's grasp.

Okay, here's my hypo:
PC A has a firearm skill of 1
PC B has a firearm skill of 5
Both use the same weapon, have the same attributes, and are shooting at the same target.

1. Statistically, B is more likely to score more net hits, and will therefore do more damage. However, since they are using the same weapon and shooting the same target, this doesn't make sense; unless, of course, B's skill means he is more likely to hit a vital area or shoot an unarmored area . If A and B keep shooting a target in the chest and doing no damage, they are going to start aiming for different areas naturally, a called shot isn't needed to reflect this.

2. In order to improve his chances, A decides to use a take aim action. Naturally, to take aim, you must aim at something. A decides to aim at an armored, nonvital area. Oh wait, A decides to aim at a vital area without armor.

As an alternative to called shots, just use the critical success system. If player B wants to shoot the target in the head, or shoot a vehicle in the tire, instead of giving -4/+4DV modifiers, just do a normal attack, and if it is a critical success, make it happen.

You could also modify called shot reason #3 to fit this system. Knocking something out of a target's grasp would be Agility + Skill v. Reaction + Strength and require a critical success.

I just thought this was an interesting alternative that would get rid of annoying called shots without damaging realism. I haven't tested it (especially that last part), so use this idea at your own risk.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Fastball @ Apr 4 2007, 01:42 AM)
After thinking about called shots, I've realized they seem somewhat redundant with the other rules.

There are three reasons for called shots:
1. Bypass armor
2. Target a vital area
3. Knock something out of target's grasp.

Okay, here's my hypo:
PC A has a firearm skill of 1
PC B has a firearm skill of 5
Both use the same weapon, have the same attributes, and are shooting at the same target.

1. Statistically, B is more likely to score more net hits, and will therefore do more damage.  However, since they are using the same weapon and shooting the same target, this doesn't make sense; unless, of course, B's skill means he is more likely to hit a vital area or shoot an unarmored area .  If A and B keep shooting a target in the chest and doing no damage, they are going to start aiming for different areas naturally, a called shot isn't needed to reflect this.

2. In order to improve his chances, A decides to use a take aim action.  Naturally, to take aim, you must aim at something.  A decides to aim at an armored, nonvital area.  Oh wait, A decides to aim at a vital area without armor.

As an alternative to called shots, just use the critical success system.  If player B wants to shoot the target in the head, or shoot a vehicle in the tire, instead of giving -4/+4DV modifiers, just do a normal attack, and if it is a critical success, make it happen.

You could also modify called shot reason #3 to fit this system.  Knocking something out of a target's grasp would be Agility + Skill v. Reaction + Strength and require a critical success. 

I just thought this was an interesting alternative that would get rid of annoying called shots without damaging realism.  I haven't tested it (especially that last part), so use this idea at your own risk.

All valid points, but I think the system is a lot more absracted than that, really.

In shadowrun, it is assumed that you do not aim - most shots are simply point the gun in the general direction of the target and fire. Higher skill makes for a larger chance to hit the target, and hit it well. Situation: You and the target are both moving around in hectic combat.

Taking aim is where you actually take the time to line up the sights and the target - this rule gives very small benefits compared to the so-called skill of just aimlessly throwing rounds toward a target. Situation: You have the time and security to actually try and hit your target.

Called shot is where you are trying to hit a specific area without actually lining up your sights to it. Situation: Beats me - untrained people trying to do headshots in rapid succession.

Combine Called Shot and Take Aim and you shoot as if you where at a shooting range, or sniping at a target. Situation: Target is unaware of you, or can't shoot back - or you have a lot of faith in your armor/a diety.

Realistically, taking aim should give a higher bonus to hit, and just popping off rounds without lining up towards your target should take a penalty, but the rules were made for fast-paced movie-style combat and not realistic fire-fights. If you want to houserule this, use only Agility when firing normally, and add skill when you start taking aim.

EDIT: Lasersight and Smartlinks fit well into this, because they allow you to aim without actually using your sights (though the bonuses are a bit low, realistically, considering that the difference is huge if you see the dot and don't aim - if you aim AND use the smartlink/lasersight the bonus should be at least partially overridden by the aiming actions).
deek
I don't think you can call a shot without using at least one take aim action prior...

Eh...I looked on page 137 and 149...nothing there to explicitly state you have to take aim, but the descriptions make it sound like you do...that's how I have been running it...
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (snowRaven)
All valid points, but I think the system is a lot more absracted than that, really.

In shadowrun, it is assumed that you do not aim - most shots are simply point the gun in the general direction of the target and fire.

??? You are kidding, right? As it is, the rules make it pathetically easy to hit a human size target at any range, and you are saying that doing so doesn't even require you to line up the sights on the target??? Talk about making baby Jesus cry...

Taking aim is where you actually take the time to line up the sights and the target - this rule gives very small benefits compared to the so-called skill of just aimlessly throwing rounds toward a target. Situation: You have the time and security to actually try and hit your target.

I think you are getting hung up on the "take Aim" wording. Most of us read that as "taking a significant amount of time to steady your weapon and squeeze off an accurate shot."

If you go out and actually try shooting a real firearm, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Called shot is where you are trying to hit a specific area without actually lining up your sights to it. Situation: Beats me - untrained people trying to do headshots in rapid succession.

Trying to hit a specific area without lining up your sights? I...eh....ummm...

I blame FPS games for this kind of reasoning. Oh, and complete lack of real experience.

Combine Called Shot and Take Aim and you shoot as if you where at a shooting range, or sniping at a target. Situation: Target is unaware of you, or can't shoot back - or you have a lot of faith in your armor/a diety.

I understand you are trying to come up with a way to quantify/justify the crunchy rules bits in the SR book, but you are throwing out of the window everything about how shooting and aiming actually work in real life.

Realistically, taking aim should give a higher bonus to hit, and just popping off rounds without lining up towards your target should take a penalty, but the rules were made for fast-paced movie-style combat and not realistic fire-fights. If you want to houserule this, use only Agility when firing normally, and add skill when you start taking aim.

Actually, if you want to start making it more realistic, you have to add a new situational modifier called "In Combat" that eats alive the dice pools of all involved and makes hitting anything, regardless of range, a much greater challenge. And "taking aim" actions should significantly improve your chance to hit, while drastically increasing your chance to BE hit.

EDIT: Lasersight and Smartlinks fit well into this, because they allow you to aim without actually using your sights (though the bonuses are a bit low, realistically, considering that the difference is huge if you see the dot and don't aim - if you aim AND use the smartlink/lasersight the bonus should be at least partially overridden by the aiming actions).

I partially agree here. Such devices should be required if you want any real chance of hitting targets when firing "from the hip". But such aids don't really turn an untrained, incompetent shooter into an expert marksman. I've seen plenty of guys show up on the range with their tricked out guns with light rails and laser grips. And they still can't shoot worth shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012