Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inspiration for a shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
krayola red
Hi Mr. Johnson, my name is Nemesis, and I specialize in fetus assassination.
Kagetenshi
Man, unravelling the ethics of this makes my head hurt even more than it did before.

~J
Habzial
Wow. Just wow. I wonder what he'll get traded for in prison, shortly after he's asked, "So what are you in for?"
Grinder
Young's attorney, Bevan Maxey, said his client is an intelligent young man who got bad advice.

It's always the fault of others! grinbig.gif
eidolon
It's probably a sign of "poor social adjustment" or something that I got a really good chuckle out of that story.

Might make an interesting run to offer a team with a decent conscience though. Especially if you offer it to the one member that wouldn't have a problem with it, and the rest of the team finds out. Of course, it would all depend on the makeup of the team.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Apr 5 2007, 09:21 AM)
Might make an interesting run to offer a team with a decent conscience though.

That's just it, though. It obviously† violates the rights of the woman, but may be providing redress for a violation of the rights of the man, though in the dystopic world of Shadowrun at least some of those violations may be reduced.

A team with a decent conscience might be compelled to take the contract.

~J

†: Dangerous word when referring to something as poorly-defined as "rights". Though I say it's obvious, there is room for disagreement.
eidolon
Perhaps you've got a point somewhat, but I chalk this up to the "talking about this in a theoretical or hypothetical manner is pointless".

The only way any (IMO) meaningful conversation could be had on the subject is if there were a concrete, existing runner team being played by real people in a real game, and this situation were proposed to them in game. And even then, the only people whose opinions on the subject would actually matter would be those players and their GM.
Kagetenshi
None of their opinions matter either, except indirectly. It's the opinions of the characters that matter.

I say indirectly, because despite the fact that the player makes ethical decisions for the character, that doesn't mean the player does so in line with their own code of ethics.

~J
eidolon
Yes, bad wording on my part. Meant the opinions of the characters, but even those are generated by the players, regardless of similarity or lack thereof to their own.
Kagetenshi
The opinions of the characters are generated by the players, but they aren't necessarily the opinions of the players.

But you get the idea, we're just in expression-refinement here smile.gif

~J
lorechaser
I had a number of different replies, and I've edited them all, in an effort to avoid creating flames.

I'll simply say that I can't see how anyone could do this in good conscience, esp. given the statement that the boy didn't care if the girl lived or died.
Ravor
Well, it isn't really any different from any other Shadowrun, at worse it is considered Wetwork if a Runner happens to be Pro-Life (And I doubt that there are very many people in 2050+ with that stance who would be running the shadows.) or assault/kidnapping if the Runner is Pro-Choice.

Although in the Sixth World, I see this run going down as the team being hired to kidnap the girl and bring her to a black clinic where the baby is extracted, and if the girl lives the Runners need to fake a ransom in order to cover the Johnson's tracks, if sucessful they even get to keep whatever they get the girl's father to fork out.

You see, Mr Johnson really did want to be daddy like the article suggested, he just didn't want the mother involved for whatever reason...
Kagetenshi
Yeah, Dr. Halberstam always did want to be a daddy.

~J
Ravor
Yeah Threats has got to be one of my favorite Shadowrun books, with the Earthdawn Horrors book a close second.

Now if only I could get Fanpro to convert Threats 2 into a PDF I'd die happy.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I had a number of different replies, and I've edited them all, in an effort to avoid creating flames.

I'll simply say that I can't see how anyone could do this in good conscience, esp. given the statement that the boy didn't care if the girl lived or died.

Luckily, if a GM introduced this in a SR campaign, the issue of "good conscience" wouldn't come up since the PCs would just go, "EASY MONEY!" and blow the girlfriend away with a minigun or something.

If any of the PCs did claim that the job would be wrong they would be a total hypocrite if they did kill fully grown security guards since their profession basically puts them repeatedly in situations where killing is a likely necessity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012