Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Caribbean League
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magus
Hoi Chummers..... Need some help. I am currently writing a back history for my Voodoo Houngon. He was a College Student on Spring Break to Haiti. Decided to stay, yes there is girl involved. A lovely French maiden whose father teaches at a University in Haiti. What Universities exist (if any) in Haiti. All I know is that Port a Prince is the largest city in Haiti. Can anyone fill me in on the latest information for Haiti in 2070?
Ancient History
You're going to hate me for saying this...
[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
frown.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ancient History)
You're going to hate me for saying this...
[ Spoiler ]

KHAAANNNN!
Magus
For Hate's sake I spit at thee, with my last breath I curse ye!!
Demonseed Elite
John Hopkins Institute of Health likely runs at least one teaching hospital in Haiti. For the most part, JHIH owns Haiti. I figure that would be the most high-profile university system in Haiti, but there is also the University of Haiti, with about four thousand or so students.
fistandantilus4.0
So since SoLA is not yet a published book, would releasing info contained in it, not in "as written" context, but in general overview, violate the NDA? Is there an expiration date on that?
Demonseed Elite
The answer to that is: I don't know. At this point, I'll err on the side of caution. But as far as the question on this thread, it's information not directly covered in SoLA anyway, so there's no real problem with me mentioning my opinion. The answer I gave is in line with the material in SoLA but isn't taken from the material in SoLA.
FrankTrollman
Indeed, that information can be inferred from Cyberpirates. JHIH owns Haiti and the Human Nation owns JHIH. Pgs. 36-38.

Of course, that's old information. Cyberpirates talked about a ten year turn-over rate for dictatorial administrations in Haiti and said the current anti-metahuman forces were due to go down any day - in 2059. So for a game set in 2071 or later, it's quite plausible, even highly likel that you'd be dealing with the successor government to the group that couped the government that was described in that book.

-Frank
Demonseed Elite
Yep, that speculation is correct and SoLA does update that. But as far as the question asked on this thread, about universities, JHIH would still be the most likely player there. That didn't change in SoLA and if it has changed by 2070, there's no information on it.

dog_xinu
violate the NDA? Is there an expiration date on that?

Most NDAs (and there are lots of them) that I have signed dont have an expiration date or one that is so far off there might not have been one. I have not seen the one in question so I can not speak about it directly.
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks. To all three of you. And for reminding me that I need to find an old copy of Cyberpirates still.
laughingowl
QUOTE (dog_xinu)
violate the NDA? Is there an expiration date on that?

Most NDAs (and there are lots of them) that I have signed dont have an expiration date or one that is so far off there might not have been one. I have not seen the one in question so I can not speak about it directly.

The ones I have signed:

Have mixed on having a very long expiration date (as in I might be dead first), or don't have one.

There is usually some provisions for it to be released /waived. OFten when the product goes 'live' though this is not all the time, as often they do not want what was in the pre-release going public.
Magus
Thanks peoples, I appreciate the intel. At least now I can update the backstory on my Voodun priest. I was going in the direction that a Council of Captains have power over the isle, these being the leading pirate captains in the caribbean.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Magus)
Thanks peoples, I appreciate the intel. At least now I can update the backstory on my Voodun priest. I was going in the direction that a Council of Captains have power over the isle, these being the leading pirate captains in the caribbean.

Considering that by the Gingerbread Man's estimates in Cyberpirates the power would have turned over twice since the book's publication, that is a reasonable hypothesis.

-Frank
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Magus)

If you want a pirate-ruled island, you want Borinquen (Puerto Rico). However, the island representatives that effectively form the Caribbean League do include a number of pirate lords, even ones that don't formally control any major islands.

The government of Haiti has changed hands (violently), but JHIH's power on the island hasn't changed yet. Well, as of 2064, at least.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012