Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Docwagon in Rio de Janiero?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shrike30
To The Rescue With Meds and M-16's
-------------------------
To the Rescue With Meds and M-16s

In Rio's Violent Slums, Military Ambulance Crews Fight Off Drug Gangs

By Monte Reel Washington Post Foreign Service Friday, March 30, 2007; A10

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Emergency medical technician Antonio Carlos Maia doesn't ride shotgun in his ambulance. He rides assault rifle. The scuffed barrel of his M-16 juts out of the passenger-side window, locked and loaded with a magazine full of bullets.

Just in case, a 9mm pistol is holstered under the bottom edge of his bulletproof vest. The ambulance driver and two additional EMTs riding in the back have their own guns, meaning that this military police medical crew in Brazil can -- and sometimes does -- spray hundreds of rounds at anyone who poses a threat during a rescue run.

"We only shoot to intimidate the gangs or to protect ourselves," said Maia, 36.

For years, violence has been an inextricable part of life in Rio's slums, known as favelas. Drug gangs, heavily armed militias and the police all fight for territory. The police say they have to take an aggressive stance against the gangs, and the gangs cite a long list of documented police abuse and corruption to justify their will to fight. Ambulance crews sometimes get in the middle of the action.

Some debate whether it's proper to apply the word "war" to the favela violence, but Maia and the other members of his crew dismiss such discussions as semantic nonsense. There is no question it's a war, they say. Tell the paramedics that under the Geneva Conventions, ambulance units are supposed to be noncombatants, and they suggest that whoever wrote those rules never rode through a Rio slum in a white ambulance with the words "Military Police" written on the side.

"It's frightening," said Andre Luiz Vidal, who has commanded the ambulance crews for eight years. "Sometimes the paramedics need to lie down in the back of the ambulance with the patient because people are shooting at us. So we have to defend ourselves."

All of the paramedics are military police officers who spent years fighting the gangs in the favelas and have since completed 14-week EMT training courses. As paramedics, they offer their services mostly to other military police officers, though they will make an occasional exception for civil police officers. Civilian ambulances rarely venture into most favelas and never go into some.

Maia's ambulance corps, the Special Lifesaving and Rescue Group, was created in 1996, when 95 military police officers were shot and killed in Rio. Things haven't improved -- about 100 police officers are killed every year, along with thousands more gang members and favela residents. An unofficial Web site -- www.riobodycount.com.br-- this year began compiling local news media reports to keep track of the number of victims in the favela conflicts; this week it reported that 536 people had been killed since Feb. 1.

One recent afternoon, Maia's four-man crew was waiting for calls at a base downtown. The complex, built in 1906, shows its age in the scarred wrought-iron balconies, peeling paint and faulty clock tower. Two more crews were at other bases in the city.

"No calls yet today," said Alex Pereira Correa, 30, who has been an EMT here for seven years. "There was one, but one of the other bases took it because it was closer."

So instead they prepared the ambulance. The bandages were packed, the IV bags laid out, the heart monitor ready, the neck braces easily reachable, the stretcher secure, the guns loaded. Rodrigo da Silva de Castro, 26, stowed the medical kit he carries on calls. The bag makes it difficult for him to protect himself, so he demonstrated how he and the others would run to a victim: Maia and Correa would run alongside him, sticking close, with their M-16s in position.

They found themselves in exactly that situation a few weeks ago, after they had rolled out of the battalion complex on a call, Maia said. They were accompanied by other officers who provided cover, but as they drove, an officer in the trailing vehicle was shot and wounded. The paramedics ran to attend him in their three-man formation, with the driver following, also on foot, to provide more cover.

"We were shooting the whole time we were running to him," Maia said, recalling the firefight.

Correa said he squeezed the trigger of his rifle 12 times. He and the others continued to take fire as they sped away.

The ambulance corps has been asking the government for armored vehicles similar to the armored personnel carriers, or caveiroes, that special forces police here use to raid the favelas. They are black, tanklike vehicles, usually with the menacing image of a skull pierced by a dagger painted on the sides. Caveiroes are designed to be feared, and they are.

One, a mass of bullet-riddled metal, sat in a parking lot about 100 yards from Maia's ambulance. Half of the reinforced windshield was spiderwebbed from a head-on bullet, as were three slitlike side windows. A headlight had been shot out. The large front bumper was battered from ramming through makeshift roadblocks that favela residents sometimes erect to try to keep the caveiroes -- and their gun-wielding occupants -- out of their neighborhoods.

Though Amnesty International and other human rights advocates have complained that the caveiroes are used to intimidate communities and kill indiscriminately, these paramedics dream of having one of their own. They want to retrofit it to provide the same services as any other ambulance, Vidal said. It would offer the paramedics -- and their patients -- more protection against gangs they say are conditioned to attack the police, whether or not they wear a medical shield.

"We always try to keep the thought in our minds that we are here to help the injured," Vidal said. "Of course we feel nervous, because it's like being in a war zone. I have international standards I have to follow, but the criminals don't have any standards at all. We can't throw grenades at them, but they can throw them at us."
-------------------------
Ya know, there's days at work when I'm just rolling old folks from one hospital to another, and I'm kind of bored... but at least I'm not having to run my rig through roadblocks. I wonder if we might actually see hybrid security companies/EMS providers soon.
Kyoto Kid
...great story.
imperialus
Rio is a city torn from the pages of a Gibbson novel. It doesn't surpise me in the least that the paramedics are armed.

Here's another one about the locals raising armed militia groups to fight the gangs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7032702337.html
FlakJacket
"It's frightening," said Andre Luiz Vidal, who has commanded the ambulance crews for eight years. "Sometimes the paramedics need to lie down in the back of the ambulance with the patient because people are shooting at us. So we have to defend ourselves."

Good story. Was wondering why they weren't using something like the old M113 AMEVs or larger cousin the AMTV before I got to the part about the caveiroes the special forces guys have. Considering how old the design is and stocks of them laying about in reserves about the place I wouldn't have thought it would have been that expensive to pick up a few and do a quick conversion. Refit the M2 back on top with a protective turret and I think it would help discourage people from bothering them.
PBTHHHHT
They probably do not have the budget for anything fancy like what you mentioned, especially if they are only state police equivalent.
Shrike30
I can't imagine that a converted Bradley (or something even larger) would be all that nimble driving around in a crowded favela. Being largely bulletproof doesn't help much if you get stuck.
mmu1
A Bradley is enormous - about 3.6 x 6.5 meters. A T-72 tank is only about 50cm longer, and just as wide. (and much shorter) An Abrams tank is 3 meters longer, but again roughly the same in width.

On the plus side, a 30+ ton Bradley would be highly unlikely to get stuck in the flimsy buildings of a slum, but I think driving an ambulance through houses sort of defeats the purpose of sending one in, in the first place.
Grinder
QUOTE (mmu1)
On the plus side, a 30+ ton Bradley would be highly unlikely to get stuck in the flimsy buildings of a slum, but I think driving an ambulance through houses sort of defeats the purpose of sending one in, in the first place.

Not in the dytopian setting that SR is. Or Rio de Janeiro.
Backgammon
For other fun daily ocurances in Rio you can check out this thread (start from the end and read up).

Some of our Brazilian DS posters commented on assault rifles and grenades, and police cars being blown up by RPG attacks. Fun stuff.
mmu1
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 12 2007, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Apr 12 2007, 02:45 PM)

Not in the dytopian setting that SR is. Or Rio de Janeiro.

Hyperbole aside, even in SR it doesn't make sense to start new firefights every time you go in to retrieve a casualty from the bad part of town, because for some reason instead of taking the streets, you decided to drive through buildings.

Especially when you're running a business. (An APC throws a track while driving through someone's living room, and you either have to send in a recovery vehicle, or give the locals a target for Molotov cocktail practice.)

Obviously, there might be times when you might have to cause collateral damage to get the job done, but "dystopian" does not actually equal "everyone is a trigger-happy idiot".
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I can't imagine that a converted Bradley (or something even larger) would be all that nimble driving around in a crowded favela.  Being largely bulletproof doesn't help much if you get stuck.

...especially if someone can get on top open a hatch and drop a frag grenade in [the Can o' Chunky Salsa effect].
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I can't imagine that a converted Bradley (or something even larger) would be all that nimble driving around in a crowded favela.  Being largely bulletproof doesn't help much if you get stuck.

Is an M113 or Bradley really all that much bigger than the ambulances you see in the US length and width-wise? Going just by photographs, having never seen one in real life, the M113 at least seems to have a similar size footprint. Although as I said no personal experience of ambulances that side of the pond thankfully. And, again not having had personal experience so if anyone would like to chip in, I was under the impression that tracked vehicles usually had a much tighter turning circle than their wheeled compatriots plus handled rough terrain better.

If you're going to be taking incoming from AK-47s and various other fully automatic firearms just for turning up to provide medical assistance then I'd rather have some armour to at least get there in. But that's just me. wink.gif

QUOTE (mmu1)
Hyperbole aside, even in SR it doesn't make sense to start new firefights every time you go in to retrieve a casualty from the bad part of town, because for some reason instead of taking the streets, you decided to drive through buildings. Especially when you're running a business. (An APC throws a track while driving through someones living room, and you either have to send in a recovery vehicle, or give the locals a target for Molotov cocktail practice.)

Uuhh, why would you want to drive through someones house in an APC? question.gif I would have thought they'd just use the roads like a regular ambulance would have to get there, you seem to be taking the Mad Max view of it. smile.gif As for Molotov's, it's exactly the same for any other kind of disabled vehicle I would have thought. And the hatches on APCs/IFVs don't have some sort of lock on the insides of them? I'm very surprised to hear that, although I suppose that scenario probably wasn't all really that heavily considered of back when they were designing them.
Shrike30
The ambulances I drive at work are modified Ford trucks, with a GVR of about 5.5-6.0 tons and a 7-liter engine. You could fit a squad of guys in the back if you ripped out all of the gear.

The modified vehicles that you posted earlier talk about having room for 4 litters or 8 ambulatory patients. You might be able to squeeze that in the back of one of our rigs, but it wouldn't be easy.

I think the M113 works out to be about half a meter longer and half a meter wider than our rigs. The big thing that'd make it a pain in the ass to work with in an urban environment would be the fact that it's double the weight... about 12 tons, and that's before you modify it for medical capabilities. It'd probably work out okay, and the armor is good against a lot of small-arms rounds. Plus, you can have a gunner in a turret smile.gif

The Bradley is a meter larger on pretty much every axis than the M113, and weighs 30 tons... not that easily driven in a lot of urban areas. If nothing else, think about low overpasses and building overhangs. The thing is about 11.5 feet tall... it's gonna get stuck some places.
mmu1
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 12 2007, 05:37 PM)
Uuhh, why would you want to drive through someones house in an APC? question.gif I would have thought they'd just use the roads like a regular ambulance would have to get there, you seem to be taking the Mad Max view of it. smile.gif

As for Molotov's, it's exactly the same for any other kind of disabled vehicle I would have thought. And the hatches on APCs/IFVs don't have some sort of lock on the insides of them? I'm very surprised to hear that, although I suppose that scenario probably wasn't all really that heavily considered of back when they were designing them.

I don't know, ask Grinder. I'm the one saying you could, but wouldn't want to. smile.gif

My point as far as Molotov cocktails and so on was that tracked vehicles tend to be a lot more trouble, overall, than smaller wheeled ones - in terms of maintenance, repair, or even towing.
A Humvee breaks down, and you can get another one to tow it out. A 30-ton APC breaks down, and you need a 50 ton recovery tractor to come in and drag it out, and IIRC depending on the type of tracked vehicle, you might have to do fun stuff like manually disconnect the drive system from the wheels in order to make it possible to tow it without tearing things up.
And if you can't, because recovery isn't practical in combat conditions, then a hell of a lot more money goes up in flames if an APC gets abandoned and torched.

I'm pretty sure you can lock hatches from the inside, but in RL, that rarely happens, because closing and locking all the hatches just makes you blind and unable to deal with anyone climbing on to your ride to set it on fire. Lots of tank commanders get shot as a result of sticking their heads out to maximize situational awareness, but it doesn't stop the practice of riding around "unbuttoned". Of course, SR with its vehicle sensors and riggers is a somewhat different matter.
mmu1
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I think the M113 works out to be about half a meter longer and half a meter wider than our rigs. The big thing that'd make it a pain in the ass to work with in an urban environment would be the fact that it's double the weight... about 12 tons, and that's before you modify it for medical capabilities. It'd probably work out okay, and the armor is good against a lot of small-arms rounds. Plus, you can have a gunner in a turret smile.gif

The M113 doesn't have a turret... Just an unstabilized MG mounted on the commander's cupola.
Grinder
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 12 2007, 05:37 PM)
Uuhh, why would you want to drive through someones house in an APC? question.gif I would have thought they'd just use the roads like a regular ambulance would have to get there, you seem to be taking the Mad Max view of it. smile.gif

As for Molotov's, it's exactly the same for any other kind of disabled vehicle I would have thought. And the hatches on APCs/IFVs don't have some sort of lock on the insides of them? I'm very surprised to hear that, although I suppose that scenario probably wasn't all really that heavily considered of back when they were designing them.

I don't know, ask Grinder. I'm the one saying you could, but wouldn't want to. smile.gif

If the roads are blocked and you need a quick escape route, driving with a 30 ton APC through slum houses may be an option.
Chrome Shadow
I was believing it was true...
Chrome Shadow
And it was...
Shrike30
QUOTE (mmu1)
The M113 doesn't have a turret... Just an unstabilized MG mounted on the commander's cupola.

Gunner in a cupola, then smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012