Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tomothy
These questions came up in another thread:
1 - Is it ok to have a mystic adept with magic split 4/2 (adept/mage) whose mage side was completely burnt out by essence loss (presumably from cyberware)?
2 - Assuming the answer to question one is yes, would that character still be able to take (and use) the skill counterspelling?
Demerzel
Somewhere in SR4 it states clearly that if your magic attribute for spellcasting becomes zero you revert to a mere adept.
DireRadiant
How do you determine which side the magic loss affects?
Tomothy
This reply may be a little muddled:

A character must purchase this quality in order to be a mystic
adept and starts with a Magic attribute of 1.

It's pretty hard to split 1 point of Magic two ways, which suggests that it's viable to have 0 magic for either adept or mage. But maybe this is for characters who are waiting for their power to manifest.

If a character’s Magic is ever reduced to 0, she can no longer perform any kind of magic. The magician has “burned out,” losing all magical ability and becoming a mundane forever. She retains all magical skills and knowledge, but lacks the ability to use them. Active skills become Knowledge skills.

The overall magic hasn't been reduced to 0 but the mage half has. Does this mean one side of the characters magic has been burnt out forever and he can never add more mage specific magic? Or does it just mean he can't use mage skills till he gets some more magic points?

Before anyone else gets around to bringing it up I thought I should also post the disclaimer from the qualities description.
Though this quality is inexpensive, gamemasters should be careful not to allow it to be abused. It should only be taken for characters that intend to explore their nature as mystic adepts.

While it's pretty clear this thread is about min/maxing I think question 1 opens up the possibility for roleplaying a character who was a mystic adept but burnt out part of their skill with cyberware.

Bonus question: What if I took a Mystic Adept with only one magic point allocated to Adept powers, would he be allowed to take Counterspelling?
Tomothy
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
How do you determine which side the magic loss affects?

Well this magic loss occured during character creation, but otherwise I guess it would be up to the DM whether it was my choice, his choice or randomised.
Ravor
Well I supose if the DM is nice enough to allow the Player to choose which powers to lose from Magic loss instead of choosing himself then the Palyer might go that way, although personally I think I'd rule that each side had to take turns starting with whichever side had the most Magic invested, just to stymie this type of thing. (Well plus it'll allow a Mystic Adept who honestly wanted a little cyber while remaining an Mystic Adept and not just someone wanting to be a Counterspelling Adept a little security in pulling it off.)
toturi
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Somewhere in SR4 it states clearly that if your magic attribute for spellcasting becomes zero you revert to a mere adept.

Try and find a quote that explicitly says that. There are quotes that a GM may interprete and extrapolate to reach that conclusion, but the same quotes can be interpreted the opposite way.
Tomothy
Also looking at the Magic skills it says:
Unless otherwise noted in the description, only characters with the Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute of 1 or greater may take or use Magic skills.
Ravor
Ok Tomothy to answer your expanded questions:

-No, if you do not have Magic invested into your Mage side, I would not allow you to learn Counterspelling anymore then I'd allow a Mundane to learn Assensing without the ability to practice in an Astral Shallow.

-I'd say that someone who didn't bother to invest enough points to have a Magic Rating in both sides at Char Gen falls under the clause of somone who doesn't want to actaully play a Mystic Adept.

-I'm not sure how other DMs do it, but even at Char Gen I choose which Adept powers are lost from Magic Loss at the time I give the character a thumbs up.

-And I agree, if the character loses his last Magic Point in one side of the other during play, unless Demerzel can find something contary then the Mystic Adept could later invest more Magic and get access back to his old powers. (In fact, I'd rule that the next point of Magic automatically had to go towards whatever side was at zero, but thats just me.) However, anyone trying to pull that crap during Char Gen falls under the 'only let people who really want to play a Mystic Adept take this Quality" clause.

*Edit*

True, but considering that Mystic Adepts don't get to use the Magic Points that they invest into their Adept Side for casting spells, ect I'd say that it is pretty clear that the intention wasn't to allow a munchkin (Yes, I consider this trick munchkiny, not just min-maxing.) to play an Adept with free access to Counterspelling. You mitgh as well try to claim that your character should still be able to cast spells.
Nim
On the other hand, Ravor, I think I'd be okay with someone who wanted to play a Mystic Adept and was starting with a low Magic score, none of it allocated to Adept powers. Far less prone to abuse (a casting-only Mystic Adept is less powerful than a straight magician), and a valid build for a character who's still discovering their magic.
Eryk the Red
I wouldn't label it "munchkin" unless the player couldn't provide an interesting backstory for it. Besides, there's no such thing as "free" counterspelling. You're paying for the Mystic Adept quality and the points in counterspelling.
knasser
QUOTE (Tomothy)
Unless otherwise noted in the description, only characters with the Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute of 1 or greater may take or use Magic skills.

That's just the result of trying to write a concise sentence. It would sound awfully clumsy to say only characters with the magician or mystic adept quality and a magic attribute of 1 or greater in the former case or 2 or more in the latter case are able to take or use Magic skills.
Nim
QUOTE (knasser)
That's just the result of trying to write a concise sentence. It would sound awfully clumsy to say only characters with the magician or mystic adept quality and a magic attribute of 1 or greater in the former case or 2 or more in the latter case are able to take or use Magic skills.

Or "... a Magic attribute (for the purpose of spellcasting) of 1 or greater".
Demerzel
You may consider referring to Frank's response in this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=0&#entry368859

It dosn't say anything about losing the ability to increase the magic later. But it's a simple interpretation of the rules.
knasser
QUOTE (Nim)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 9 2007, 11:14 AM)

Or "... a Magic attribute (for the purpose of spellcasting) of 1 or greater".

Yeah that works too. With a bit of thought you can come up with neater ways of saying it. But try and apply a bit of thought to every few lines of a three hundred page rule book and you're bound to find a few things like this. Personally, I'm pretty sure it's just a natural result of trying to say two similar things in a single, simple way.
Ravor
QUOTE (Nim)
On the other hand, Ravor, I think I'd be okay with someone who wanted to play a Mystic Adept and was starting with a low Magic score, none of it allocated to Adept powers. Far less prone to abuse (a casting-only Mystic Adept is less powerful than a straight magician), and a valid build for a character who's still discovering their magic.

Hmm, true, and I could be convinced to make an exception on a case-by-case basis if I trusted that the player was looking to roleplay that aspect of discovery, but I'd look over that character's selected Magical skills with a fine-tooth-comb before giving it the thumbs up to enter my game.

QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
I wouldn't label it "munchkin" unless the player couldn't provide an interesting backstory for it. Besides, there's no such thing as "free" counterspelling. You're paying for the Mystic Adept quality and the points in counterspelling.

Then in that case nothing will ever be labeled "muchkin" because I'm sure that for whatever twisted mangling of the rules someone can come up with, someone else can make up a backstory for it to fit.

And although its true that the Counterspelling skill itself is bought, what I meant to say is free access to buy the skill, as given the context of the character it's fairly clear that he would have taken those 2 Points of Cyber no matter what, so the only reason he would choose to be a Mystic Adept over a normal Adept is to gain extra Spell Resistance in the form of Counterspelling. So yes, I consider that Munchkin since the player never had any intention of actually playing a Mystic Adept but rather just wanted to twist the rules to be a normal Cybered Adept with access to Counterspelling.
toturi
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Tomothy @ Apr 9 2007, 03:43 PM)

So that concise statement tells you explicitly who may use Magic skills. As long as you have Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute of 1 or more, you can use Magic skills. Not "Magic attribute(for the purposes of using Magic skills)".
Demerzel
QUOTE (toturi)
So that concise statement tells you explicitly who may use Magic skills. As long as you have Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute of 1 or more, you can use Magic skills. Not "Magic attribute(for the purposes of using Magic skills)".

This was in the thread I linked above.

QUOTE ((SR4 @ p. 187))
Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills.

It must be taken in conjunction with the Rules for Mystic Adepts... If you don't have a magic attribute of 1 or more for Magic Based Skills then you don't meet that requirement.
2bit
I would allow that mystic adpet to take the skills, representing a time in his past before cyberware where he could use them. But there's no way they can use any of it. The next time they raise their magic rating, the skills become available again if they assign it to mana based abilities.
Ravor
However something to remember is that unless I've missed something then by RAW the Mystic Adept can still cast spells and summon spirits as well based off total Magic and not just the Magic alloted to the Mystical Arts.

In fact, the only place that I can find that explictly says otherwise is the FAQ where it states:

QUOTE (Fan Pro FAQ)
Though mystic adepts must split their Magic between Magic-based skills and adept powers, it says that for all other purposes, including the limits of adept powers, the mystic adept uses his full Magic attribute. Does this mean that a mystic adept with Magic 6 who has allocated 2 points to Magic skills and 4 points to adept powers can cast Force 6 spells without flinching?

The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.

So in the example above, the maximum Force he can cast at is 4, and anything over Force 2 is Physical Drain.

Now, although it doesn't name Counterspelling by name, Counterspelling IS a Magic-linked skill so it applies.

*Edit*

Also the way I read it, it also closes the loop-hole of Mystic Adepts using their full Magic Rating as the limit of how high high they can raise an Adept power as well.
toturi
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (toturi @ Apr 9 2007, 09:47 AM)

This was in the thread I linked above.

QUOTE ((SR4 @ p. 187))
Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills.

It must be taken in conjunction with the Rules for Mystic Adepts... If you don't have a magic attribute of 1 or more for Magic Based Skills then you don't meet that requirement.

It only states that each point spent you get 1 point to use with mana-based abilities. So if you spent 0 points on mana-based abilities, you get 0 points to use with mana-based abilities. It does not mean that you have 0 points in Magic or that you cannot use mana-based abilities.
Demerzel
For every case where you need a magic attribute value for mana based abilities you use points invested in mana based abilities. This is made clear in the FAQ that Ravor quoted, "The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills."

This includes determining if you are eligible to use something.
Ravor
Besides if you rule otherwise, why would anyone ever be anything other then a Mystic Adept? Magic 6 with everything invested into Adept Powers, and the only downside is that you have a smaller dicepool for when you do cast those Force 12 Stunballs, well that plus you can't Astrally Project, but one of your Adept Powers is the ability to Astrally Perceive, so you can still go Dual Natured and deal with Spirits...

*Edit*

And to top it all off, it is actually cheaper to have ultimate cosmic power then it is to be a 'mere' Mage.
Fastball
QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 113)
only characters with the Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute of 1 or greater may take or use Magic skills.

This is the general rule. In order to use magic skills, you must have the magician or mystic adept quality and a magic attribute of 1 or greater. It is an exclusionary rule to prevent characters with either 0 magic or qualities such as spell knack.

QUOTE (SR4 @ p. 186-187)
Characters who wish to become Mystic Adepts have the option of splitting their Magic attribute between spellcasting and conjuring or physical abilities. . . . Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills.

This is a further limitation upon Mystic Adepts. Essentially, mystic adepts have

Magic (mana-based): x
Magic (physical): Total Magic - x

If x = 0, they do not meet the general rule, anymore than a regular adept meets the general rule.
toturi
Indeed, all aspects of those skills and only for the aspects of those skills. If you wish to interprete that broadly, then it will apply to aspects of the Magic attribute that apply to those skills.
Ravor
Ehh? Care to run that by me again toturi, only slower because I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say.
Demerzel
I don't think I understand what you're trying to get at with that statement toturi.
Eryk the Red
Then in that case nothing will ever be labeled "muchkin" because I'm sure that for whatever twisted mangling of the rules someone can come up with, someone else can make up a backstory for it to fit.

Cool by me. Good stories should conquer all.
Ravor
You know Demerzel after rereading his sentence a couple dozen times I think he might actually be trying to claim that its possible to read the FAQ as saying that you can still use Counterspelling with an effective Magic of 0 because the only rule-effect that Magic has on Counterspelling is added dice.

And IF he is trying to claim that then I call bullshit, because one of the aspects of the Magic attribute that apply to all Magic-linked skills is that you have to have an effective Magic of 1+ in order to access the skill. And the clearifaction given in the FAQ makes it clear that a Mystic Adept without any points of Magic alloted to the Mystic arts has an effective Magic of 0 for the purposes of all Magic-linked skills. Which in turn means that no, he can't buy or use Counterspelling.

*Edit*

Eryk the Red then we have two very different definations of 'good', because I don't consider a 'backstory' cobbled together to justify blanent rules-mangling as 'good'.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with min-maxing, but this build despite simply not being legal goes well beyond maximizing your BPs and trys to find a possible loop-hole in the rules to gain something for nothing, which isn't cool.

Now on the other hand, if a player came to me and wanted to play a character who used to be a Mystic Adept but had that part of his Magic burnt out and so turned towards Cyber to try to get an edge again then I'd gladly welcome him to my table, BP-wise just buy the Adept Quality and take several magical knowledge skills to repersent his firsthand knowledge of Spellcasting, Summoning, Counterspelling, ect...
knasser
QUOTE (toturi)
Indeed, all aspects of those skills and only for the aspects of those skills. If you wish to interprete that broadly, then it will apply to aspects of the Magic attribute that apply to those skills.

Is this like "the sound of one hand clapping?" Do I meditate now?
Eryk the Red
Eryk the Red then we have two very different definations of 'good', because I don't consider a 'backstory' cobbled together to justify blanent rules-mangling as 'good'.

I never said I'd be okay with any old story. I'm just saying that a good story can justify most things. With a good enough story, I'll break the rules for a player.
Ravor
Aye, and I'd argue that my example of a player who wanted to play the story of a partially burnt Mystic Adept being allowed to buy it as the Adept Quality and Knowledge Skills instead of having to pay extra BP for the Mystic Adept Quality and a full set of Active Skills he never has any intention or ability to use is an example of '"breaking the rules" for the sake of a good story.

To each their own I supose, but I'd wager that for almost every 'good' story that justifies munchkinism in one way or another, its possible to find a way to create a character to live that same story without the over-the-top munchkin power.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Ravor)
its possible to find a way to create a character to live that same story without the over-the-top munchkin power.

This is the key for me. The, “it has to be because of my background” argument is just putting the cart before the horse. Just about every time someone says, well my background just simply won't work if I don't have 30 dice for this thing, or access to everything over here, is just BS. I could give you 5 other builds that don't leave you unbalanced compared to the other 4 people at the table.

The way I deal with a good back-story is worth some direct in game benefit is that I give Karma for back-story.

During my games, and before we even start, I award Karma for well-written stories. Karma worthy stories can be back-story, or they can be a narrative chronicle of the events of the last run/session. I feel it is a more worthy reward than allowing munchkinism or rule bending/breaking.
Tomothy
I don't think the rules are as clear on this issue as they could be. But at the same time I think their intentions were obvious and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense allowing a character with 0 mage based magic to use skills which were intended for magicians.

Personally I would rule that the character who burns out his magician side can keep his counterspelling skill but it becomes a knowledge skill until he puts a point of magic into the magician side.
Glyph
QUOTE (Ravor)
Also the way I read it, it also closes the loop-hole of Mystic Adepts using their full Magic Rating as the limit of how high high they can raise an Adept power as well.

Nope. Quoting from pg. 187 (emphasis mine):

For all other purposes, including the determination of the maximum level for adept powers, the character's full Magic Attribute is used.

That's pretty unambiguous. And the FAQ doesn't even contradict it, unless you start using it as a starting point for your own interpretations. But even if the FAQ did contradict it, the FAQ is not canon (and has been know to be mistaken, or to contradict the RAW, on more than one occasion).

On the question of a mystic adept using counterspelling, I agree with Frank and some of the others that you should need to have an effective Magic of at least one point towards the mage side to be able to use counterspelling.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
You know Demerzel after rereading his sentence a couple dozen times I think he might actually be trying to claim that its possible to read the FAQ as saying that you can still use Counterspelling with an effective Magic of 0 because the only rule-effect that Magic has on Counterspelling is added dice.

And IF he is trying to claim that then I call bullshit, because one of the aspects of the Magic attribute that apply to all Magic-linked skills is that you have to have an effective Magic of 1+ in order to access the skill. And the clearifaction given in the FAQ makes it clear that a Mystic Adept without any points of Magic alloted to the Mystic arts has an effective Magic of 0 for the purposes of all Magic-linked skills. Which in turn means that no, he can't buy or use Counterspelling.

*Edit*

Now don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with min-maxing, but this build despite simply not being legal goes well beyond maximizing your BPs and trys to find a possible loop-hole in the rules to gain something for nothing, which isn't cool.

Now on the other hand, if a player came to me and wanted to play a character who used to be a Mystic Adept but had that part of his Magic burnt out and so turned towards Cyber to try to get an edge again then I'd gladly welcome him to my table, BP-wise just buy the Adept Quality and take several magical knowledge skills to repersent his firsthand knowledge of Spellcasting, Summoning, Counterspelling, ect...

Consider:

A PC that has Mystic Adept Quality. He doesn't buy any more points in Magic at chargen. He puts that 1 Magic in physical. Oops - instant burnout, even if he decides he wants to develop his Magical side later in-game. Or if we apply the second part of the ruling to adept powers and he has only Magic 1, instant burnout for adept powers. Which begs the question, is a chargen PC allowed to be illegal in any instance during chargen? Why? Because at the instant you buy the MA quality you gain 1 Magic and you have to assign it. Oops, you are no longer able to use mana-based abilities or never able to buy adept powers again. So I see your bullshit and raise you 2 bulldreks cool.gif .

Access to magic skills is an aspect of the Magic attribute, not an aspect of the skills. The RAW says Magic attribute, not effective Magic attribute. And the FAQ doesn't say that the Magic(mana-based) is the effective Magic attribute besides. It may be infered to be so, but I can also infer the other way.
Fastball
Your conclusion is contrary to the evidence.

Just look at the description of an Adept:

QUOTE (SR4 (p. 186))

An Awakened character who invests power into physical abilities rather than Magic-linked skills is referred as an adept.

This explains why Adepts are not allowed to use Magic based skills. The same reasoning must be applied to Mystic adepts: Mystic adepts that do not allocate magic points to use with Magic based skills cannot use such skills. Under your reasoning, adepts should be allowed to learn magic skills, which is logically inconsistent with the actual rules. The only logically consistent conclusion is that Mystic Adepts must allocate at least one point of magic for use with mana-based skills in order to use those skills.

Also, I can't find where it states a mystic adept with a magic (mana-based) of 0 becomes a normal adept. If their total magic becomes 0 they lose all abilities. Otherwise, they can simply choose to assign subsequent magic points to the use of Magical skills. Until they do, however, they are unable to use their magic skills. This is supported by the idea that a mystic adept has the option (not mandatory) of splitting their magic attribute.

At character creation, I have personally always applied power points after reducing magic for essence loss, so you wouldn't be allowed to buy Counterspelling and then lose the magic. I don't have any conclusive authority for this, but technically, the assigning resources section comes before the magical resources section, so it makes sense to do it that way.
toturi
QUOTE (Fastball)
Your conclusion is contrary to the evidence.

Just look at the description of an Adept:

QUOTE (SR4 (p. 186))

An Awakened character who invests power into physical abilities rather than Magic-linked skills is referred as an adept.

This explains why Adepts are not allowed to use Magic based skills. The same reasoning must be applied to Mystic adepts: Mystic adepts that do not allocate magic points to use with Magic based skills cannot use such skills. Under your reasoning, adepts should be allowed to learn magic skills, which is logically inconsistent with the actual rules. The only logically consistent conclusion is that Mystic Adepts must allocate at least one point of magic for use with mana-based skills in order to use those skills.

Also, I can't find where it states a mystic adept with a magic (mana-based) of 0 becomes a normal adept. If their total magic becomes 0 they lose all abilities. Otherwise, they can simply choose to assign subsequent magic points to the use of Magical skills. Until they do, however, they are unable to use their magic skills. This is supported by the idea that a mystic adept has the option (not mandatory) of splitting their magic attribute.

At character creation, I have personally always applied power points after reducing magic for essence loss, so you wouldn't be allowed to buy Counterspelling and then lose the magic. I don't have any conclusive authority for this, but technically, the assigning resources section comes before the magical resources section, so it makes sense to do it that way.

By my reasoning, the reason Magicians and Mystic Adepts can learn Magic skills is they have the Magician or Mystic Adept qualities and have a Magic of 1 or more. An Adept does not have the Mystic in his quality.

Correct me if I assume wrongly: you want to apply the "all aspects" argument such that you cannot use Magic skills if you are at Magic(mana-based) 0 but yet you are not burnt out in Magic(mana-based), even though Magic 0 is burnt out?
Fastball
If a mystic adept has not assigned at least 1 point to the use of magic skills, s/he cannot use magic skills. The mystic adept may assign future magic points to magic skills if s/he wishes to use those skills at a later time. If a mystic adept's magic attribute becomes 0, s/he has burned out and can never improve his magic ability again.

Likewise, a mystic adept with no physical powers is not prevented from using future magic attributes to learn physical powers.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Demerzel)

Seems like this is another case of previous version knowledge slipping through the SR4 filter into my current expectations. Under 2nd edition rules physical magicians (optional rule in Awakenings p119) always lose magic first from their Magical Skills, and if the effective Magic ever drops to zero they lose all ability to use conjuring and sorcery.

I don't see where they appear in sr3 at all. Magic in the Shadows does not have Mystic Adept or Physical Magician in the index, nor does SR3 core.
toturi
QUOTE (Fastball @ Apr 10 2007, 01:23 PM)
If a mystic adept has not assigned at least 1 point to the use of magic skills, s/he cannot use magic skills.  The mystic adept may assign future magic points to magic skills if s/he wishes to use those skills at a later time.  If a mystic adept's magic attribute becomes 0, s/he has burned out and can never improve his magic ability again. 

Likewise, a mystic adept with no physical powers is not prevented from using future magic attributes to learn physical powers.

Why can't he use magic skills? Is that an aspect of the skills or the Magic(mana) attribute itself? If your Magic is zero, you cannot use magic skills - I see this as an aspect of Magic, and not an aspect of the skills.
Fastball
In SR3 Magic in the Shadows, Adepts of the Magician's Way (Magician Adepts) could purchase the Magic Power ability for 1/level. This allowed an adept to use Magical Skills with an effective magic rating = Magic Power rating. Magic loss was always applied to Magical Power first, and if Magical Power ever became 0, it could never be purchased again.

Looks the same as 2nd edition.
Glyph
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Apr 9 2007, 08:25 AM)

Seems like this is another case of previous version knowledge slipping through the SR4 filter into my current expectations. Under 2nd edition rules physical magicians (optional rule in Awakenings p119) always lose magic first from their Magical Skills, and if the effective Magic ever drops to zero they lose all ability to use conjuring and sorcery.

I don't see where they appear in sr3 at all. Magic in the Shadows does not have Mystic Adept or Physical Magician in the index, nor does SR3 core.

They are called magician adepts, and are described under the magician's way, on pgs. 22-24 of Magic in the Shadows. The rules for them are almost exactly like what you have quoted for SR2.

But comparing SR4 to SR2 and SR3 is like Comparing Bubblegum Crisis 2040 to the original Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash - some of the names are the same, but everything else has been drastically changed. smile.gif

There is no doubt that mystic adepts use the magic points allocated to their mage side for mage skills, since their description under the quality and later on in the Adept section say that unequivacably. The problem is that using counterspelling as spell defense doesn't use the Magic Attribute, just the skill. And mystic adepts are in the unusual situation where they could, due to Magic loss, have an effective Magic rating of 0 for purposes of using mage skills, but still have a Magic Attribute. So some, like Toturi, could argue that the mystic adept should still be able to use counterspelling despite having an effective Magic Rating of 0 for using that skill.

It's probably one of those grey areas where the GM has to make a ruling, but personally, I am disinclined to allow it. Under the description of magical active skills, it says that you need a Magic Attribute of 1 or greater to use Magic skills. Mystic adepts invest in mana-based abilities to gain points of Magic to use with Magic-based skills. So in my opinion, a mystic adept with no points in mana-based abilities does not meet the criteria for using Magic skills - he or she may still have a Magic Attribute, but so does an ordinary adept. For using Magic skills, an effective Magic Attribute of 0 should mean an inability to use any Magic skills such as spellcasting or counterspelling - even if using one of those skills does not directly use the zeroed-out effective Magic Attribute.

Look at it this way - if a background count reduces a full-fledged magician's Magic Attribute to 0, he or she cannot use any magical abilties, even though spell defense does not use the Magic Attribute. So why should an effective Magic rating of 0 be any different for a mystic adept?
Ravor
QUOTE (Glyph)
That's pretty unambiguous. And the FAQ doesn't even contradict it, unless you start using it as a starting point for your own interpretations. But even if the FAQ did contradict it, the FAQ is not canon (and has been know to be mistaken, or to contradict the RAW, on more than one occasion).

Oh well, then I guess it'll remain a house rule as opposed to canon in my campaigns then. wink.gif

QUOTE (toturi)
So I see your bullshit and raise you 2 bulldreks  .

Access to magic skills is an aspect of the Magic attribute, not an aspect of the skills. The RAW says Magic attribute, not effective Magic attribute. And the FAQ doesn't say that the Magic(mana-based) is the effective Magic attribute besides. It may be infered to be so, but I can also infer the other way.

Then I'll call your bluff, a mage who enters a Mana Void with a Rating greater then his Magic has an effective Magic of 0 while there and according to Street Magic while in such a state "he is rendered unable to use any magical abilities".

A Mystic Adept without any points of Magic invested into the Mystic Arts has a Magic of 0 for the purposes of all aspects related with Magic-linked skills, that we know from the FAQ, and like it or not, when a Mage has an effective Magic of 0 he or she loses access to those magical abilities.

And yes we do know that the Magic Points alotted towards the Mystic Arts are the effective Magic Rating because in all skill tests you roll Skill + Linked Attribute, and the FAQ clearly stats that a Mystic Adept with Magic 6 (Adept 2/Mystic 4) and a Counterspelling of 6 only gets to roll 10 Dice while trying to dispel a Sustained Spell instead of 12.

QUOTE (toturi)
Why can't he use magic skills? Is that an aspect of the skills or the Magic(mana) attribute itself? If your Magic is zero, you cannot use magic skills - I see this as an aspect of Magic, and not an aspect of the skills.

Ok, I think I see what you are getting at, however the problem is that the FAQ says;

QUOTE (Fan Pro FAQ)
The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills.

That means that a Mystic Adept with Magic 4 (Adept 4/Mystic 0) does have a Magic of 0 as far as any Magic-linked skill is concerned. So you are partially right, it isn't the skill itself that forbids the Mystic Adept in question from using Counterspelling, it is the fact that the Mystic side of his Magic is 0.

QUOTE (Glyph)
Look at it this way - if a background count reduces a full-fledged magician's Magic Attribute to 0, he or she cannot use any magical abilties, even though spell defense does not use the Magic Attribute. So why should an effective Magic rating of 0 be any different for a mystic adept?

I couldn't agree more, plus something that I think people are trying to forget is that Counterspelling does use Magic when a Mage tries to Dispel a Sustained Spell.
toturi
QUOTE (Ravor)
QUOTE (toturi)
So I see your bullshit and raise you 2 bulldreks  .

Then I'll call your bluff, a mage who enters a Mana Void with a Rating greater then his Magic has an effective Magic of 0 while there and according to Street Magic while in such a state "he is rendered unable to use any magical abilities".

A Mystic Adept without any points of Magic invested into the Mystic Arts has a Magic of 0 for the purposes of all aspects related with Magic-linked skills, that we know from the FAQ, and like it or not, when a Mage has an effective Magic of 0 he or she loses access to those magical abilities.

And yes we do know that the Magic Points alotted towards the Mystic Arts are the effective Magic Rating because in all skill tests you roll Skill + Linked Attribute, and the FAQ clearly stats that a Mystic Adept with Magic 6 (Adept 2/Mystic 4) and a Counterspelling of 6 only gets to roll 10 Dice while trying to dispel a Sustained Spell instead of 12.

You are correct. In a void, a mage is unable to use any magical abilities and that is all Magic 0 does in that case. Otherwise, it is burnout-ville for the mage.
it is the fact that the Mystic side of his Magic is 0

A Mystic Adept without any points in Magic(mana) is Magic(mana) 0 and is Burned Out for Magic(mana)! In order to avoid the situation that a Mystic Adept decides to put his only point of Magic at chargen in Physical powers first and develop his Magic(mana) side later in game and finds out that he is effectively Burned Out when he tries to increase his Magic(mana) stat, I interprete it such that the "all aspects" refer only to aspects of the skills and not an aspect of Magic(mana).
Glyph
The burnout rule is an artifact of SR2 and SR3, and is not present in SR4. I think that a mystic adept with a mana-based side of 0 will need to raise it to 1 to be able to use magical skills, but there is nothing preventing a mystic adept from starting out purely as a mage or adept, and then "discovering" that he or she can do other things.

In fact, I find that more realistic than the previous edtions. I mean, I hate to bring up the blatant Gary Stu whose unworthy gaze has profaned Nadja Daviar's dark brown nipples, but look at Ryan Mercury as an example. He started out as an adept, then found out he could use other magical skills.
Ravor
QUOTE (toturi)
A Mystic Adept without any points in Magic(mana) is Magic(mana) 0 and is Burned Out for Magic(mana)! In order to avoid the situation that a Mystic Adept decides to put his only point of Magic at chargen in Physical powers first and develop his Magic(mana) side later in game and finds out that he is effectively Burned Out when he tries to increase his Magic(mana) stat, I interprete it such that the "all aspects" refer only to aspects of the skills and not an aspect of Magic(mana).

Ok, I'm starting to see more clearly where you are coming from, but something you might want to think about is that unlike previous Editions, Magic doesn't start at Rating 6 in Fourth, so I don't think its at all unreasonable or even in violation of RAW to only apply 'Burn-Out' status to Mages/Adepts/ect who managed a Magic of 0 through the active Loss of Magic.
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph)
The burnout rule is an artifact of SR2 and SR3, and is not present in SR4. I think that a mystic adept with a mana-based side of 0 will need to raise it to 1 to be able to use magical skills, but there is nothing preventing a mystic adept from starting out purely as a mage or adept, and then "discovering" that he or she can do other things.

In fact, I find that more realistic than the previous edtions. I mean, I hate to bring up the blatant Gary Stu whose unworthy gaze has profaned Nadja Daviar's dark brown nipples, but look at Ryan Mercury as an example. He started out as an adept, then found out he could use other magical skills.

Really? Then perhaps you'd like to explain this quote:

If a character's Magic is ever reduced to 0, she can no longer perform any kind of magic. The magician has "burned out," losing all magical ability and becoming a mundane forever.
Superbum
but look at Ryan Mercury as an example.  He started out as an adept, then found out he could use other magical skills.

[ Spoiler ]
Ravor
Yeah but toturi it says if your Magic is ever "reduced" to 0 then you're a Burn-Out, and in the case of a Mystic Adept with a Magic of 1 then whichever side of Magic didn't receive the juice doesn't apply because it has never been 'reduced' to 0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012