Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept *and* Mage, but NOT Mystic Adept?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Leviathan
I was just wondering, is it possible to be both a PhysAd And a Full Magician? Expensive in terms of points and karma I know, but is it allowed in the rules? I know about Mystic Adepts but thats not what I'm looking for.

I can't find anything in SR3 that says one way or the other.
Backgammon
Err.. Mystic Adepts are exactly that. You have to split your Magic between both. So, in theory, if you have Magic 12, you can be both a full mage and an Adept.

There are no other rules allowing you to purchase full magician and adept.
Kagetenshi
No, actually, you can't—you still lack the ability to project at that point.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
SOTA 2064 has a metamagic for any adept-kin with astral perception to gain a shortened astral projection. It's minutes instead of hours, but I've yet to see a need for long duration astral projection.
Backgammon
Ah, true. I knew there was something missing. Thought it was conjuring but after checking mystic adepts can do that.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
SOTA 2064 has a metamagic for any adept-kin with astral perception to gain a shortened astral projection. It's minutes instead of hours, but I've yet to see a need for long duration astral projection.

One of my players had to fly from Seattle to New York once and I think it took him 20 minutes, or something like that. So, it was useful.
And no, I've never seen any rules that allow an adept and full magician. Although, I don't have SOTA:2064.
It doesn't matter though, your GM (or you if you are the GM) can do whatever you want. Use the point system in the SR:Com and buy both. I think it'd be really expensive, but icky powerful.
MadHamish
There's no rule that allows for it as I understand in SR4. The Mystic adept is meant to bridge that gap in the first place. Besides, a full blooded Phys-Ad with all the spell slinging juice would be one unholy bad-ass futher-mucker at both ends of the table. There'd be few reasons not to do it if you were awakened and had the BP to put that together.

Gih!
Serial_Peacemaker
If for some reason you needed one guy that had both abilities, you could always go for someone that took a dream pact. When the host body is asleep you have a free spirit using your body. Which pretty much counts as a full caster. I think they even can go astral.
djinni
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
but I've yet to see a need for long duration astral projection.

everyone says that until their body gets stolen
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (djinni)
everyone says that until their body gets stolen

If you're only gone for a minute, it can't get very far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012