Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: surviveing Kaers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
i was just wondering if there were any 4th world Kaers surviving into the 6th age.

if there is not, how do you think this would effect the 6th world, and what kind of runs do you think you get out of it.
Demerzel
There is suspicion that the tunnels under LA that are described in the Alchera section of Street Magic may be a Kaer.
bibliophile20
I just looked that section over--it sure sounds like one, especially given the bit about the "hiding from the wrath of gods that scoured the Earth in ancient times," i.e. the Horrors.
Demerzel
Yup, that's the part that made me think so...
Pthgar
I believe the Alantean Foundation found one in eastern Europe. It may have just been remnents of Bairsaive. I can't remember what book I read that led me to think this, so I might not know what the heck I'm talking about.
Rajaat99
In ED there's a spell called city in a bottle. Basically it transfers a city into an unbreakable bottle for a specific amount of time decided by the caster when the spell is cast. Lofwyr could have one on his bookshelf.
I ran my players through a "complex tunnel system" in Ukraine. They were fasinated with all the strange writings and chambers. Too bad they got into a wicked firefight and started throwing grenades.
That's the closest thing I've ever done.
Are you asking if there's a sealed kear that people have been living underground for 5200 years?
That sounds interesting.
Grinder
The kaers relied on magic for everything - growing fooding, getting light, recycle their waste. When the mana level drops to 0, it would be hard to continue this...
Ravor
Yeah, but didn't some of the kaers actually physically shift themselves to the Metaplanes? And if so did they all automatically pop back into place as the Mana Level dropped back down?
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (Grinder)
The kaers relied on magic for everything - growing fooding, getting light, recycle their waste. When the mana level drops to 0, it would be hard to continue this...

Yes, the population would drop dramatically, but maybe some would find new ways to survive. And, if the kaers were magically sealed, as I think they were, maybe they wouldn't have been able to get out after the mana level dropped. These kaers would be forgotten over time, buried deep in the ground, with only a handful of people surviving. Of course, they'd probably look like the banjo-playing boy from Deliverance.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ravor)
Yeah, but didn't some of the kaers actually physically shift themselves to the Metaplanes? And if so did they all automatically pop back into place as the Mana Level dropped back down?

Parlainth is the prime example for the cities who tried to survive this way. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Apr 12 2007, 03:40 AM)

Yes, the population would drop dramatically, but maybe some would find new ways to survive. And, if the kaers were magically sealed, as I think they were, maybe they wouldn't have been able to get out after the mana level dropped. These kaers would be forgotten over time, buried deep in the ground, with only a handful of people surviving. Of course, they'd probably look like the banjo-playing boy from Deliverance.

It's possible, indeed.
Ravor
As some who isn't really very familair with Earthdawn, what happened to Parlainth? I seem to remember hearing that name before and given your response I take it's fate wasn't pleasent...
Ancient History
Parlainth was breached by the Horrors. They were trapped there for over 500 years, until Parlainth was returned.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Ravor)
As some who isn't really very familair with Earthdawn, what happened to Parlainth? I seem to remember hearing that name before and given your response I take it's fate wasn't pleasent...

Ayup... Well, the city made it back... more or less... Oh, the inhabitants? Ahehe... Well, needless to say there's a lot more elbow room, you can get some prime real estate locations via squatter's rights. wink.gif
mfb
well, how big was the population of a kaer? i mean, after thousands of years, you'd think inbreeding would have made them too genetically fuxx0red to survive. or, y'know, turned them into monsters, depending on how Hollywood you want to go. i mean, kaers were only meant to last for the few hundred years that the mana cycle was high enough to support a big Horror population, right? not for the 5,000 or so years since the 4th world.
Ancient History
Depends. Parlainth, for example, would more properly be termed a citadel and probably had a standing population in the tens of thousands (counting slaves).

Kaers - with the exception of the underground Throalic cities - generally had a smaller population, but there was a minimum size you needed to properly construct a kaer. Not that inbreeding might not become an issue.
hyzmarca
Inbreeding, in and of itself, doesn't actually do any genetic harm. What is does is increase the probability of the next generation expressing recessive traits. These traits may be positive, such as increased intelligence; benign, such as red hair; or harmful, such a hemophilia. The actual results depend on the traits that are in the original gene pool. If the people who start inbreeding have harmful traits then the chances of their descends expressing those traits are good. If they lack harmful traits but have many beneficial ones, then inbreeding is a fast way to create a race of superhumans.
Ravor
Ok, from my understanding of Earthdawn they basically saw everything as patterns of magical energy, so I supose my question would be in theory would one's True Pattern spell out genetic traits and did the Fourth World have a deep enough understanding to basically perform a 'DNA' Test for an eugenitics experiment? cyber.gif
kigmatzomat
There is a minimum population that will generally prove sufficient for genetic diversity. I seem to recall it is around 200 people but it can go lower depending on the male/female ratio. A hand-picked populace could go lower, I suppose, if you could ensure a lack of dormant defects.

Ironically, genetic "defects" may in fact be a defense mechanism. There's a book I've been meaning to track down that shows certain defects that cause death around age 45 due to excessive iron build up provide protection from diseases like the black plague, which kill in part due to causing iron deficiency. Other genetic diseases and/or allergies cause people to avoid regional poisons or survive certain kinds of crop blights that were fairly regular.

A kaer of "defect free" individuals could be wiped out by the plague 10 years into their isolation.

Short form, diversity is good.
Pendaric
They had magical measuring devices in the kaers so they would know when it was safe to leave. It is unlikely they would still be in a kaer 5000 years later. The Kaer might still exist but he population would of moved on.
I ran in a published adventure with a egyptian kaer in? Any takers on what it was from?
Straight Razor
not all the kaers had the earth and watter time clock.

mfb
yeah, all it takes is one unfixable screw-up, and the kaer is stuck forever after with half-remembered myths and wrong ideas. such a kaer might never open.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Ironically, genetic "defects" may in fact be a defense mechanism. There's a book I've been meaning to track down that shows certain defects that cause death around age 45 due to excessive iron build up provide protection from diseases like the black plague, which kill in part due to causing iron deficiency.

Actually, what you are referring to are two separate issues, one is the CCR5 mutation and the other is sickle cell anemia.

While your summation is somewhat inaccurate (the Black Death did not kill from iron deficiency, it killed from overwhelming the body's defenses and essentially eating it from the inside out) your point on genetic defects is accurate.

The CCR5 mutation is a mutation of the CCR5 receptor on the exterior of white blood cells. As for why it is important, CCR5 is the receptor that the HIV particle needs to open to enter the white blood cell; the mutation results in a malformed CCR5 receptor and the virus literally cannot enter the cell, saving it from infection from HIV. The mutated gene can be received from both parents, and having two copies is better than having just one--having just one means that while blood cells still have CCR5 receptors, but fewer of them than normal, while having 2 copies essentially means no receptors whatsoever; the man who did the research, Stephen O'Brien, a virologist at the National Cancer Institute, found that people who had two copies of the mutation, even if they engaged in behaviors that have high risk for HIV infection, like needle sharing and certain sexual practices, were essentially immune to the virus. And even though those who have only one copy of the mutation can still be infected, the virus is slowed down enough that the onset of full-blown AIDS will be delayed by two or three years.

However, it is the extent of the mutation that is interesting: it is relatively common in Europe, where 20% or more of the continent's total population having one or more copies. It is most common in Sweden, and tapers off as one heads south and east; it is relatively common in the British Isles, with over a tenth of the population carrying it, but only 6.3 percent of Turkey carries the mutated gene, and in the rest of the world, the mutation is unknown.

The only way that the mutation, which impairs the functioning of the T cells slightly, could reach such levels would be if the mutation had been favored by natural selection at one point, and a powerful selection at that.

O'Brien and his team looked at the mutation's age by studying the variability on that portion of the DNA strand, and came up with an age of 700 years--which would put the origin of the CCR5 mutation at the time of the Black Death, which killed one out of four Europeans between 1347 and 1350, and even more in other waves of epidemics of bubonic plague over the centuries.

The other item is sickle cell anemia. An individual with two copies of the mutation has deformed red blood cells, which can get tangled in the blood vessels, leading to blockage, with all the fun that results, like strokes, heart attacks and other things of that ilk, in addition to the fact that the deformed red blood cell cannot carry oxygen, resulting in anemia. However, the mutation is relatively common in sub-Saharan Africa. As for why, it is quite simple: having one copy of the mutation makes the carrier resistant to malaria, which kills between one to three million people annually. So while having two copies is effectively a death sentence, having one copy will help save a person from dying, because the red blood cells, which parasite breeds in, will have the sickle cell trait express, making the cell deformed, which means that the body's spleen will destroy it before the parasites finish growing.

In terms of Shadowrun, it makes me wonder if there is now a resistance to VITAS in the population due to the massive selection pressure that the virus caused.
Straight Razor
i think the rocky mountains would make a great place to place a Kaers of one nature or the other.
I think you could make a run based on the DOD complex in the rockeys to have accidently breached into a kears during recent renovation and expancion.
knasser
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Apr 12 2007, 09:17 PM)

...snip...

Thanks for posting all that. Always love learning new stuff and that was really interesting.
the_dunner
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Inbreeding, in and of itself, doesn't actually do any genetic harm. What is does is increase the probability of the next generation expressing recessive traits.

While that is, strictly speaking, true, inbred populations are absolutely fantastic for identifying genetic defects. Even populations that are just a couple of hundred years old tend to have extremely high instances of at least one interesting inbred trait. In many modern inbred populations, there's also excellent tracking information from family trees. (e.g. Communities isolated for religious reasons will often have very detailed family histories in the family Bible.)

The combination of a limited population and a solid family history makes things so much easier for genetic analysis. In this environment, mapping the gene of interest becomes rather dramatically easier.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any established inbred populations of humans that do not have a detrimental gene associated with them. OTOH, I've got a bit of a sampling bias, in that I'm generally familiar with them because of the cool recessive trait that we were looking at in the population. nyahnyah.gif
QUOTE ( bibliophile20)
In terms of Shadowrun, it makes me wonder if there is now a resistance to VITAS in the population due to the massive selection pressure that the virus caused.

I think there'd almost have to be one, but it probably has not been identified. (Only 2-3 generations) There's also the fact that, in all probability, there was an increased survivorship amongst the affluent due to better medical care. So, while the mutation might be more common amongst economically depressed populations, those populations would also be much less likely to have their DNA tested to identify such a resistance factor.

There's also the fact to consider that as medical care has improved, the viability of individuals with recessive diseases has increased. From the perspective of Shadowrun, that means that the frequency of diseases like diabetes and cystic fibrosis is probably more common than they are in the world today. However, the consequences of living with these diseases would be much lower. (Essentially, there'd be pharmaceuticals to address the issues.)

Then again, with effective gene therapy, all of this could go out the window. wink.gif
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
the rocky mountains would make a great place to place a Kaers of one nature or the other.
I think you could make a run based on the DOD complex in the rockeys to have accidently breached into a kears during recent renovation and expancion.
ludomastro
Greenbriar is awesome ... in a twisted sort of way.
fistandantilus4.0
How would a kaer survive through the down cycle though? The food source was grown by artificial light. If the kaer was completely sealed, where do they get new air from without magic? I'd think it's have to be something like a city in a bottle on a plane or something. Either that, or just a dead kaer.
Thane36425
Once the Mana level dropped sufficiently, the kaers wouldn't be needed anymore. They were sort of like a life raft only needed as long as the Horrors were around. In the real world, there are caves and tunnels made by humans that are thousands of years old. It is feasible that the kaers, built with magic and good engineering skills, could have held up for 7,000 years or so. The carvings and plasterwork might not be in the best of shape, but most of the tunnels and structures could be.

Losing magic and all for life support wouldn't matter once the Horrors were gone. Most people would move back outside, and everyone would once magic faded completely. That's probably how they ended up getting lost. It doesn't take any time at all for things to fade from memory. I've been restoring the old home place, a little village with only a few structures left. With near catastrophic results, we have discovered 3 wells that no one knew were there, the deepest being over 50 feet deep. Since at one time there were 80 families in the area, there is no telling how many more are out there or where they are. One olf man knew where some where, but these finds have been in addition to those. So, if the locations of all these wells and even the locations of the houses have been lost in a mere generation, a kaer could easily be lost after 5,000 years.
Grinder
QUOTE (Thane36425)
Once the Mana level dropped sufficiently, the kaers wouldn't be needed anymore. They were sort of like a life raft only needed as long as the Horrors were around. In the real world, there are caves and tunnels made by humans that are thousands of years old. It is feasible that the kaers, built with magic and good engineering skills, could have held up for 7,000 years or so. The carvings and plasterwork might not be in the best of shape, but most of the tunnels and structures could be.

Losing magic and all for life support wouldn't matter once the Horrors were gone. Most people would move back outside, and everyone would once magic faded completely. That's probably how they ended up getting lost. It doesn't take any time at all for things to fade from memory. I've been restoring the old home place, a little village with only a few structures left. With near catastrophic results, we have discovered 3 wells that no one knew were there, the deepest being over 50 feet deep. Since at one time there were 80 families in the area, there is no telling how many more are out there or where they are. One olf man knew where some where, but these finds have been in addition to those. So, if the locations of all these wells and even the locations of the houses have been lost in a mere generation, a kaer could easily be lost after 5,000 years.

Something is odd within your post, but I can't lay my finger on it somehow.
Thane36425
QUOTE (Grinder)

Something is odd within your post, but I can't lay my finger on it somehow.

Perhaps the years mentioned? The Kaers would have been built over 7,000 years ago prior to the arrival of the Horrors. The last inhabitants probably left the Kaers about 5,000 years ago when magic disappeared. So, they would have lasted for more than 7,000 years, but had 5,000 years to be forgotten, assuming people lived in them up to the last.
Darkest Angel
Mortals may not have survived in them that long, but what if something not mortal nor metahuman survived. We know the only problem the Horrors have is getting here... if one got itself stuck in a Kaer prior to it's sealing? devil.gif
Thane36425
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)
Mortals may not have survived in them that long, but what if something not mortal nor metahuman survived. We know the only problem the Horrors have is getting here... if one got itself stuck in a Kaer prior to it's sealing? devil.gif

Then some archeaologist is going to get a really rude surprise. Maybe some 2070's version of The Naked Archeaologist will be doing a live shoot from deep inside the Kaer as an exclusive and open the wrong door.
knasser
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)

Then when the stars are right...
Kagetenshi
"The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent [Shadowrunners] had done by accident."

~J
Crakkerjakk
Cthulhu F'tagn!!!

Excuse me, I seem to have sneezed.
Kyoto Kid
...gesundheit! (heh heh heh...) devil.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
"The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent [Shadowrunners] had done by accident."

~J

Sure, blame us for the accident. Like it's our fault it happened. We blame it on the Johnson! nyahnyah.gif
Synner667
QUOTE (Pendaric)
They had magical measuring devices in the kaers so they would know when it was safe to leave. It is unlikely they would still be in a kaer 5000 years later. The Kaer might still exist but he population would of moved on.
I ran in a published adventure with a egyptian kaer in? Any takers on what it was from?

Hmmm..
..I remember an Earthdawn story where the magic checker [true earth suspended in air] was faulty and only because the heroes rebelled did they escape and discover that the Time Of Horrors had passed.

And I think that happened because one of the Kaer leaders was a Horror, or connected to a Horror, and was keeping them in.

So a Kaer could stay occupied and not realise it was safe..

I read somewhere that Atlantis could be a Kaer, and would return sometime.

Just my thruppence...
Pthgar
QUOTE (Synner667)
I read somewhere that Atlantis could be a Kaer, and would return sometime.

It was. It did. Just in time to go to war with Ironfor- sorry- Thoral and the rest of Barsaive. After that, probably sank in some cataclysmic implosion of blood magic.
Synner667
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)

Hmmm..
..Interesting comment.

After all Dragons and Elves needed somewhere to hide/rest during the Horror Years.

In one of the Sam Verner books [the 2nd, I think], they 'break into' a cave complex in Australia to steal something buried there many thousands of years ago..
..And another has people digging up something pre-dating civilisation.

My point being that it's easy for things to survive many thousands of years..

Which brings to mind that maybe a Horror could have made it's own Kaer, to wait out the years or to protect itself from low mana times !!

Just my thruppence..
knasser
QUOTE (Synner667)
In one of the Sam Verner books [the 2nd, I think], they 'break into' a cave complex in Australia to steal something buried there many thousands of years ago..

It's the third book (2nd was druidic wendigo), it's Aires Rock and he nicks a great big magic gem / stone which had been keeping Spider locked up for the past age.

Good books.
Lindt
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

So you going to write this up as a convention game? Cause that sounds like a great tag for one to me.
Larsine
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 13 2007, 04:22 PM)

~J

So you going to write this up as a convention game? Cause that sounds like a great tag for one to me.

Sam Verner released several spirits, one of these was Twilight from the Adventure Total Eclipse (7308).

Lars
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Thane36425)
QUOTE (Darkest Angel @ Apr 13 2007, 11:25 AM)
Mortals may not have survived in them that long, but what if something not mortal nor metahuman survived.  We know the only problem the Horrors have is getting here... if one got itself stuck in a Kaer prior to it's sealing? devil.gif

Then some archeaologist is going to get a really rude surprise. Maybe some 2070's version of The Naked Archeaologist will be doing a live shoot from deep inside the Kaer as an exclusive and open the wrong door.

If I was a millennia-old creature from beyond that feeds off of human suffering and a random naked guy barged in on me for no apparent reason, I'd probably run away. A dude wearing nothing but his birthday suit might be crazy or he might be dangerous. A dude wearing nothing but his birthday suit while surrounded by servants bearing bizarre contraptions must be an absurdly powerful magician. It takes a great deal of confidence to let it all hang out and a great deal of power to inspire the loyalty of one's minions while letting it all hang out.
Ravor
Sure, but first I'd try to Horror Mark such a possibly powerful future minion...
Kagetenshi
Depends on who it is. Nebis would probably be thrilled.

Then pretty disappointed later, but what can you do.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012