Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The size of drones.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jack Kain
How big is a medium sized drone? Say the Doberman, or a large sized drone say the Steel Lynx.
Konsaki
Doberman - big enough to cary a machine gun
Steel Lynxs - big enough
Jack Kain
Yeah that doesn't help at all, Its not about what size gun it can hold. Its how easily will it get around the tunnels under Denver. If we have to repel down a hole how hard would it be to carry along one of the drones.
Serial_Peacemaker
Well that depends really. A Lynx is pretty big, but it is designed to fit pretty much anyplace a human can go. However its big, and heavy. So you would need a Troll rated cable to lower it down, or if you have a mage hope he has levitate. The real issue is the drone needs to be close. Otherwise underground you are going to lose signal fast.
Fix-it
doberman= push lawn mower.

steel lynx= bobcat (the construction vehicle thing)
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker)
Well that depends really. A Lynx is pretty big, but it is designed to fit pretty much anyplace a human can go. However its big, and heavy. So you would need a Troll rated cable to lower it down, or if you have a mage hope he has levitate. The real issue is the drone needs to be close. Otherwise underground you are going to lose signal fast.

Well sense the Rigger is coming along and not sitting on his ass in the Van, we don't need the signal to stretch that far. Just around a corner or to.
kzt
QUOTE (Fix-it)

I'd say more like a 4 wheel ATV. Which looks a lot smaller at a distance than it is when you are standing next to it.
Jaid
QUOTE (Fix-it)

maybe you're thinking of a different push lawn-mower than i am, but my push lawn-mower is about 1 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet, by about 1/3 foot tall i'd say.

it is my carefully considered opinion that the doberman is bigger than that... my guess is it's probably about the size of one of those metal garbage cans (the size that usually comes up to your waist, give or take)
Thanee
Steel Lynx is about the size of a human (not quite the same shape, though; so just a rough comparison; there's a picture in the old Fields of Fire sourcebook with a comparison to a human, which is also floating around in the net somewhere).

Doberman is about the size of a large dog.

Bye
Thanee
DireRadiant
To get a sense of relative size and scale, compare the drone body to the body of a vehicle you are familiar with. This will give a general idea of mass. The larger drones compare to motorcycles, which can be quite large, but are smaller then cars. Then adjust as needed for things like the Dalmatian needing fixed wing length, and the rotodrone has those chopper blades.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Apr 11 2007, 10:49 PM)

maybe you're thinking of a different push lawn-mower than i am, but my push lawn-mower is about 1 1/2 feet by 1 1/2 feet, by about 1/3 foot tall i'd say.

I think your feet are different from my feet. if you mean meters you're dead on. if you actually meant feet, go re-measure your lawn mower.

1/3 of a foot is 4 inches.
X-Kalibur
Did someone say Steel Lynx?
Fix-it
I love that pic....

like i said. size of a bobcat vehicle.
Ravor
Umm, I don't know what type/brand of skid-steer you are talking about, but I own one and its quite a bit 'bigger' then that picture...
Jaid
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Apr 12 2007, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Apr 11 2007, 10:49 PM)

I think your feet are different from my feet. if you mean meters you're dead on. if you actually meant feet, go re-measure your lawn mower.

1/3 of a foot is 4 inches.

i am quite aware of what 1/3 of a foot is. my push lawn mower, with the exception of a small area about 4" across for the motor in the center, is about as tall as my hand is wide, assuming all my fingers are straight and together.

i can't say that i've ever seen push lawnmowers much bigger than that, either... i dunno what kinda lawn you've got that you need something the size of a snowblower, but maybe you'd better move out of the jungle, or start cutting your grass more often than bi-annually.

of course, i suppose you could be adding in the handle to that, but quite frankly the handle has almost no mass to it at all either, and isn't going to substantially increase the size of the lawnmower imo.
ornot
Some lawnmowers can be pretty big.

I imagine the kind Fix-It is envisioning is the petrol kind with a collector for the clippings, rather than the Flymow type thing. Flymows are alright for smallish gardens, but with larger ones (say 50m^2) it's easier not to have to worry about raking up all the grass afterward and having to navigate around a 10m extension cable. That's not to say that you can't, but it's easier not to.
Jaid
raking up the grass is not generally necessary if you're not trying to use a lawnmower when you should be using a machete. and avoiding the cord is only difficult if you can't figure out that you start from the side that is closer to the outlet, and move away from there. by the simple method of moving *away* from the outlet, the cord will always be taking up the space that you have already mowed... thus negating any complications in avoiding the cord.
KarmaInferno
Most folks where I live in NY use gas-powered bagging mowers. Same applied when I was living in Dallas. It's a staple of suburban life.

They're about two feet wide by three feet long or so at the wheelbase, with the top of the motor sitting roughly a foot and a half off the ground. Handle extends two to three feet behind the mower, up to about waist height. The bag for clippings hangs below the handle.

Pretty much one of these.

It's not for overgrown jungle habitats, it's for normal lawns. As for raking/not raking, it's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of having a neat appearance.

I haven't seen an electric mower in years.

Back when I lived on a 5 acre property, we had a riding mower, about the size of a golf cart, maybe three feet wide by five feet long.

I envision a Steel Lynx to be somewhere in between.

My paraplegic drone rigger swapped out the turret of one for a swivel seat, to serve as his wheelchair. Plus my GM ruled that since Steel Lynxes appeared to have their wheels mounted on semi-articulated legs, it could lock the wheels and walk about a bit, albeit very slowly. Made for negotiating stairs much easier.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012