Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic, Sustaining and LOS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mystweaver
Just a quickie really. I understand that with magic for the most part you require line of sight to cast a spell on someone/something. Sometimes it touch but there are not so many such spells.

My question however relates to sustaining spells after they have been cast; namely, does the target have to remain in Line of Site to the caster?

Spells im thinking of in particular are spells such as Invisibility and Levitate.

Thanks,

Myst
Mystweaver
Specifically I am looking for page references. All I have really to go on is SR3 pg 178. There it doesnt mention that LOS is required. Unfortunately I fear this may not be enough for our DM.....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SR3 p178)
As long as the caster concentrates on the spell it remains in effect.

That's pretty unambiguous.

~J
Demerzel
Some spells like levitate pose their own problems however. Who has control over the levitating subject. Is it the Mage who controls their motion or the target? If it's the mage then how will he control your movement without LOS unless it is simply to stay still...
Darkest Angel
The caster controls motion with levitate, otherwise it's pretty pointless for when you want to 'move' people out of your way. If the target leaves your line of sight, obviously controlling where you send them is going to be pretty tough without clairvoyance or mindlink spells also operating.

Otherwise yeah, as long as you're concentrating on the spell LOS is irrelevent.
hyzmarca
Sustaining a spell only requires concentration, controlling a spell requires LOS. Spells like Levitate and Trid Phantasm, which have controlled effects, requires LOS for the caster to assert that control. Without LOS the spell will remain on its last setting.
Ravor
Which very well might be "Straight up", well at least until the target leaves the Mana-Sphere...
Pendaric
I use the effective range for the command of elementals. I don't have my books but from memory it is (magic + willpower+ charisma) x 10m
This is the maxium distance from which a spell can be sustained from without a sustaining focus being left at the scene.
Mystweaver
Thanks for clearing that all up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012