Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrier Spell question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cleggster

Ok, this has come up. According to 3rd and 4th edition rules, when a barrier spell is penetrated, the spell fails. The question is what happens in a tie and what counts as penetration? (this is starting to sound dirty) For example, lets say spellslinger A puts up a physical barrier of rating 6. Then gets hit with a stray shot from a light pistol. Power 6L. That equals the barrier rating. It's does no damage since it's power has been reduced to zero, but does it actually get through? Bouncing off mage A'a forehead.

The other question is what is Spellslinger A is specifically shot at with an Uzi 3 while maintaing a force 7 barrier? individually, each shot is less then then rating but in burst fire exceeds it. The argument was made that the first shot would weaken it but the rest would go though. But the rules don't alow for each individual bullet in burst fire. This became something of an issue with my players until I made ruling and just moved on. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

eidolon
Isn't Barrier a physical spell? Assuming that it is, the round would be stopped by the physical barrier created by the spell (since it doesn't "beat" the barrier).

On the second, a burst is a burst for attack power and damage purposes, so I see no reason that it would be treated differently in regard to a Barrier spell. I would go with it getting through completely, resolve as normal attack.

Note that I could be way off on this and might change my mind later. Barrier isn't a spell that sees much use in my games, so I might be operating on poor assumptions.
Darkest Angel
Barrier spell creates a physical barrier. Use barrier rules for penetration. That means the base power of the attack must exceed the rating of the barrier to penetrate. Basically, it's the same as hardened armour. It being magical means it's barrier rating isa restored if reduced as per normal barrier rules. So, from that burst example the barrier rating would be reduced by 1 for each round, so the first bullet would not penetrate the barrier the second would inflict 1M, the third would make the attack a total of 2M, and overall the barrier's rating would be reduced to 4 until the next combat round when it would return to 7.

That's how SR3 has it. SR4 doesn't exist.
2bit
QUOTE (cleggster)
The question is what happens in a tie and what counts as penetration?

Ok - In SR4, you treat the Physical Barrier spell like a regular barrier. I am inferring that "Penetration" for the purposes of destroying the barrier and ending the spell refers to the rules for Destroying Barriers. If your attacks against the barrier are strong enough to reduce the structure rating to 0 in one combat turn, then instead of creating a one-meter hole, the spell ends.

Another interpretation of penetration would be any attack with DV greater than the barrier's. Which is dumb, and completely negates the purpose of it having a structure rating in the first place. It also makes it less useful than the Armor spell.
2bit
QUOTE (cleggster)
lets say spellslinger A puts up a physical barrier of rating 6. Then gets hit with a stray shot from a light pistol. Power 6L. That equals the barrier rating. It's does no damage since it's power has been reduced to zero, but does it actually get through? Bouncing off mage A'a forehead.

The attack's power in SR3, or DV in SR4 (modified by armor penetration rating) has to exceed the barrier's rating to penetrate. In this example, the bullet is stopped at the barrier.

I don't remember the ruling in SR3 for your second example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012