Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Analytics [the Adept Ability]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wasabi
I love the Mentat's of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series and am wondering how Analytics might apply in a SR4 game.

In what way could Analytics be useful other than as a way for the GM to say, "Ok, you do math faster in your head and every now and then I'll give you a hint if you get stuck."

I'm sure there must be other interpretations and ways folks do it... got any ideas? smile.gif
Thane36425
Catch the Sherlock Holmes series on Biography, the one with Jeremy Brett. This was what I first thought of when I read Analytics.
Kyoto Kid
...definitely not a power KK4.4 will take anytime soon.

one...two...three...four...ummm..oh yeah the thumb...five...
Whipstitch
My GM routinely adds analytics to knowledge skill tests and even the occasional perception test. For example, maybe Analytics won't help you spot a guy sneaking up on you, but with a decent intuition score and a few analytics dice, maybe your adept will be able to tell apart the graffiti tags from two different "artists" in the same gang without the benefit of a decent Street Knowledge score. My GM also lets analytics add dice to help notice the difference in an imposter's speech patterns or forged messages, things like that. It works out pretty well; a friend of mine created an Aspected (Conjuring) MystAd Hedge Witch who follows the Owl Mentor spirit and has points in Enhanced Perception and Analytics. With the Channeling metamagic and her mentor spirit boosted Guidance spirits, she's got the hardened armor of a spirt and the skills to be an absolute beast when doing legwork despite having a craptacular logic score. It's overkill, really, but it gives the GM plenty of room to just plain bury us in information.
BookWyrm
I can see the idea behind it, Wasabi....

For those who haven't 'experienced' the books, go to this Wiki link.

Let me run with this, I have a few ideas & will get back.....
Dizzman
There were some powers in SOTA 2064 that combined together would make a good Mentat.

Multi-Tasking (.5): Adept ability to gather info from multiple senses simultaneously. 2 free actions an initiative pass.

Eidetic Sense Memory (.5): Photographic memory for sight, sound, feel, etc.

Linguistics (.25): Intelligence test to learn a new language at level 1 for free.

Three Dimensional Memory (.5): Adept can memorize an area viewed first-hand in exact, three dimensional detail by performing a complex action.

Really the only Mentat type power I remember from the books that isn't covered is the mathematics/probability powers. This power added to the others would make a complete package. I added a couple of different versions with different game effects.

Analytics (.5/level): The Adept can perform incredibly complex mathematical calculations as a free action. On the following initiative pass, the adept gets an extra one die per level on all logic linked skills. An adept may only purchase a number of levels of analytics equal to one plus their initiate grade.

Probability (.5): An Adept with this power is able to make complex computations on the projected probability and best course of an action before taking it. The GM should tell the player the threshold needed for success before the adept decides to take an action or use edge. This ability also helps when performing particularly difficult and long-term actions by helping the adept find the most efficient path to success. For any extended test with a threshold higher than 12, the adept can use the Rule of Six when making rolls.
Kronk2
For the sr 4.1 Mentat We have (runs off to get book)

(.25/level) Analytics Improves the Adepts Ability ti detect and analyze patterns, puzzles and Ciphers.

Commanding Voice ( to piss off the Bene Gesserit)
(.25/ leve)l Iron will bonus dice vs outside magical mental influences.

Linguistics: no kharma needed to learn a new language. just watch (10- magic) hours of tv in the desired language.

Metabolic Control

3d memory

(.5) Eidetic Sense Memory Ability to memorize all types pf sensory input, and can recall said input at will.

multi tasking

(.25/level) Cool Reserve makes the character inhumnly self0assured and unflapplable in social exchanges, whether these be delicate negotiations or an interrorgator's grilling.Each level adds one die to the pool for opposed tests involved in social active skills [while on defense]

anything else?
Wasabi
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Apr 17 2007, 10:57 PM)
Linguistics: no kharma needed to learn a new language. just watch (10- magic) hours of tv in the desired language.

This is quite possibly the most brilliant thing I've heard EVER...

Combined with the Cool Reserve they can barely speak the language yet can 'hang' in tense social situations.
(Despite social dice being limited to a max of language level.... since the Cool Reserve isn't adding to pool dice.)
pbangarth
Hmmm... I guess 'contact' in the text could mean just watching TV, but you would think one would have to practice speaking as well as listening over the course of that (10 - Magic) hours. The two are very different functions. My guess would be that if all you did was listen, your skill would only be in understanding, rather than in producing something intelligible.
Wasabi
QUOTE (pbangarth)
Hmmm... I guess 'contact' in the text could mean just watching TV, but you would think one would have to practice speaking as well as listening over the course of that (10 - Magic) hours. The two are very different functions. My guess would be that if all you did was listen, your skill would only be in understanding, rather than in producing something intelligible.

Subtitles and pause/rewind buttons and you'd be all set I'd think
Demerzel
What's the name of the Flaw that requires me to milk a scrawny balding kitty to provide the compound that will prevent me from dying?
FlakJacket
The best part about Linguistics? Team it up with a Rating 3 Mnemonic Enhancer - it provides three extra dice for your Language tests. So all you have to do is hang out and experience a language for (10 minus Magic rating), then throw in the extra dice from the mnemonic enhancer and you'll be talking like a native in no time! smile.gif

Yes, yes I know that this of horribly broken but as as the rules stand there's nothing saying it can't be done. Kudos to SL James I think it was for pointing out this potential walking monstrosity.
Wasabi
Guys and gals... thanks bunches for the tips!!!! smile.gif
Cheops
You could extend the Improved Ability power to include knowledge skills at 0.25 per level. This would enable you to enhance a character's Math or Statistics skill to inhuman levels.

Edit: although with this watch out for all those social adepts with Improved ability Business or Stock Market. biggrin.gif
Wasabi
I cant remember the name of it off the top of my head, but there is an Initiation metamagic mystic adepts can get called something (Cognition?) that allows mental scores to be swapped around. That could allow bursts of massive logic, intuition, or willpower as needed. Not sure if it can apply to Charisma. I was thinking of spiking knowledge skills THAT way. smile.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Demerzel)
What's the name of the Flaw that requires me to milk a scrawny balding kitty to provide the compound that will prevent me from dying?

Try this:

Regular Dose (variable point Flaw)

cannot be taken if the Alergy Flaw is already in place

Due to either a congenital bio-chemical imbalance, esoteric poisoning or just simple dietary requirement, the character must partake of a rare substance in order to function correctly. The details of what the ailment & it's counter-agent are left up to both the player & the GM, but the basic of it is that the character must take regular, timely amounts of the counter-agent or suffer dibilitating effects, which may include a slow agonizing death.

An Uncommon (5 pt) counter-agent may include taking a moderately-priced prescription medication for the ailment, a Rare (10 pt.) counter-agent may include an herbal treatment that can only be found in nearby Tribal lands, & an Unique (15 pt) counter-agent may require more complicated measures (such as the milk of a specific healthy type of para-animal).

That was just of the top of my head. What do you people think?
HappyDaze
If you have Eiditic Sense Memory, what is the point in having Three-Dimensional Memory?
lunchbox311
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
If you have Eiditic Sense Memory, what is the point in having Three-Dimensional Memory?

Not only can you call up a specific memory... you can walk through that whole scenario.

With eidedic sense memory you remember the meet with the johnson exactly. With 3 dimensional memory (and adding in multitasking with high perception as well) you remember the conversation exactly and everything you have seen, heard, smelled, said, touched, etc. You can then play these parts back again and again from different angles observing everything that happened at each angle... at least a little.

It is like having a super simsense setup anytime - anywhere, from any point in your life.
toturi
QUOTE (Wasabi)
I love the Mentat's of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series and am wondering how Analytics might apply in a SR4 game.

In what way could Analytics be useful other than as a way for the GM to say, "Ok, you do math faster in your head and every now and then I'll give you a hint if you get stuck."

I'm sure there must be other interpretations and ways folks do it... got any ideas? smile.gif

I allow its use for Divination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012