Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the SAIBED chip
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Straight Razor
SAIBED
pronounced [sigh_bed]
symbiotic artificial intelligent biological enhancement device

The origin of these devices is unknown.

<<< I know exactly where t*@& $( *#(@)$$%% 043 lost #f^ best 959 kjf$$%(|file corrupted|>>>
*Ghost eater

Sightings are rare, as those who have them keep it a secret, or are killed in a most gruesome manner.

<<< Oo.. yea, I've seen a few of these things. There getting a little to common down by the harbor.>>>
*Bligh

<<<No joke I have had a buddy of mine get on of these in him last week. haven't seen him since that night.>>>
*doc monkey

Removed from there host they look to be a messy animated wad of magnet wire, with a thimble sized hard mass in the center. they are almost to fast to see, and that makes them all the more dangerous. However they need the warmth and moisture of there host to survive, and can only survive so long out side one.

[a SAIBED chip can live 90 days without a host body. Should the host die the chips will leave the host in search of a new one]

There goal in life is to find a host and replicate. They will host in any mammal, but they seam to prefer (meta)-humans. Some theories suggest that they just go for the largest warm body mass.

[a host can support a number of SABIED chips equal to there body unmodified. Chips will not try to infest a "full" host, or one that has been infested withing the past 3 days. Every year each chip will replicate a number of chips equal to the hosts body. The host dose not get any bonuses for the chips created by infesting chips. nor dose the chip try to influence or control the host. The new chip is to be considered "asleep" till it leaves the host. A chip will never try to infest it origin host. The act of leaving is a relatively painless, and produces no real wound.]

As the name suggests the host dose get benefit for hosting the strange device. this includes faster reflexes, tougher body, and a strange and almost unbelievable healing ability. what little observation we have of newly infested hosts it appears to take about 24hrs for the chip to fully install its self, and for the host to gain benefits. Though some essence consumption has been demonstrated, no pattern has yet been noticed.

[+1 to the following: combat pool, body, strength, quickness, init, reaction. The host also get a special regeneration power. at the start of every round, the host heals a number of boxes equal to the number of chips in the host. *Chips consume essence at a special rate see bottom of page*]

The disturbing feature of these chips is it's ability to take control of its host. All animals and some (meta)-humans have been turned into little more than a meat robot. It appears that the more chips a (meta)-human has the more likely of this happening. There are reports of people having up to 3 of these things in there system and still being in full control of them selfs.

<<<you do not want to have to deal with a junk yard dog full of these things>>>
*Rat

<<<how did you know it had chips in it?? they came crawling out?>>>
*Acid map

<<<lol yea something like that>>>
*Rat

[within 24 hrs of the chip implanting into the host the host must make a will test TN#3 for the first chip, and TN#3+(numbers of chips in the host) AKA 3 for the first 5 for the second, 6 for the third.
If the host wins the test the host remains unaffected mentally, and gains the chips bonuses.
If the host fails all mental stats, and magic are reduced to 0. The chip(s) take control of the body from that point on. pilot = 2+number of chips]

These things are scary to watch attack someone. They are so small and fast it is sometimes hard to tell what is actually happening. There is not much to them. Step on the little bugger and it done for. If they get on you skin they are in you blood in a blink though.

<<<one of the little buggers got on a buddy one night in a back alley while we were... well never mind that. either way he thought he chased it off, not knowing what it was. Turns out it had gotten into and stuck in his vest's plate pocket. We all found it later at the... well never mind that too. Point being the locker room will never be the same, but were are sure it is dead now.>>>
*pie in the sky

<<<too bad>>>
*Rat

[The chip only takes a simple action to burrow in. in order for it to get closet enough to burrow in, the chip will make an unarmed attack against the target, rolling 3 dice. If the target has impact armor, for every 3 points, the chip will take 1 extra pass to latch in, as it must find a soft spot it can get through. Upon burrowing the host will take 4M damage (armor can not reduce) that can be resisted by body, but even if no damage is taken the chip is still in. Any full body sealed suit with a impact rating will make you immune to there assault.]

[extra rules]
chips like each other's company, and can sense each other up to 30m away. A chip will prefer a host that already has a chip in it.

[SAIBED stats]
body 1
quickness 4
str 1
pilot 3 sensors 3
run x6
rea 4
init 2

/edit *

[essence consumption]
option # 1
lose essence as per the essence loss flaw.
the host can regain essence as per a vampire.
the essence drain ability can be explained as the chip's tendrils extending into the victim. If there are new chips ready to be "born" they will take the opportunity to implant into the draining victim. this victim gets no chance to fight off, or dodge the implantation. If the victim is drained to 0 the victim will become meat robot, assuming there is a new chip to infest.
If the host reaches 0 essence he will be forever a meat robot.

option #2
chips take up .6 essence each.
however they can "stack" with any all ready installed cyber ware that can take accessories or add on's.
they have a preference for attaching to cyberware and will install in any open "essence slots", in say a cyber-arm, before takeing essence from unused "aires"
if the host is ever reduced to 0 or lower the host will turn into a mindless meat robot, unless cybermancy can be started within the next 8hrs.
Straight Razor
so what do you think, this is my first stad at something like this. i'd like to get a little peer review.
Backgammon
I recommend you type in Word or a similar word processor, run the spell check several times, then post it. Your atrocious spelling detracts from the ideas you present.
Ravor
Well I think its a bit overpowered, and personally think that getting infested should be a death sentence, but I like the general concept so I'll be using something similair to this in my next campaign. cyber.gif
Straight Razor
I'll be using something similair to this in my next campaign.

i'll take that a a complement. spin.gif

I was thinking this to be a cybernetic version of HMHVV. I just couldn't come up with a flaw that i liked in the way of having to consume the living.

any ideas?
wargear
I would use them, if i was ever going to use them, in the Deus storyline. The little buggers each carry a little bit of his code. When the time comes for Deus' ressurection outside the Arcology, the critters all head for the nearest jackpoint, log in, and then self destruct. End of critters.

In the mean time they move from host to host, multiplying and protecting their hosts, sometimes ferociously. Good low grade threat.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
[a host can support a number of SABIED chips equal to there body unmodified.

Yet even a full host should be careful of challenging an ancient vampire in the basement where he is allowed to define threat severity without getting confirmation from his superiors. No matter how fast the freak is as a result of these things, it won't be enough.
Kyoto Kid
...nasty little buggers

(BTW I took the liberty to copy the original post to Word & cleaned up the typos. I can repost it if people would like.)

Thanks for breaking my Golden Rule - "never give the GM any ideas"

...hehhehheh.
Straight Razor
well, well, Herald of Verjigorm. it appears that you have seen my inspiration, for the chips. lol

BTW i'm going to change how the essence works while i am at work. I'll post the edit then.
Herald of Verjigorm
I was going to ask something related to that, as it was, I can see many typical* mages hunting down two of these just for the stat boost.

*where typical means willpower of 6-10 at chargen depending on build
Straight Razor
ok added and changed a few things
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (wargear)
I would use them, if i was ever going to use them, in the Deus storyline. The little buggers each carry a little bit of his code. When the time comes for Deus' ressurection outside the Arcology, the critters all head for the nearest jackpoint, log in, and then self destruct. End of critters.

In the mean time they move from host to host, multiplying and protecting their hosts, sometimes ferociously. Good low grade threat.

They could just at the time of the resurrection all converge on one spot and horrifically mutate their hosts into one massive biomechanical organism. Plus, individual hosts could mutate into combat forms when needed.

You could have the makings of a Shadowrun horror-tech story. Like a tech version of Bug City. Or that "Virus" movie.

biggrin.gif

Run away fast, thats all I'm going to say. Well and ask a few questions.
1. Where did you get the inspiration for these little fraggers?
2. I'm assuming these are 3rd ed. stats any chance you will be posting a 4th ed. version?
Herald of Verjigorm
Nice changes, I'd probably go with option 1 if I used these.
Straight Razor
yea, there 3ed
I'll have to go over my 4th ed book, but yea i'll post one in the next day or tow

and they are my version of hellsing's freak chips

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellsing_(TV_series)

a very good anime BTW
Meriss
Nasty, nasty piece o' tech though. Heh I play a troll adept in a PbP game and even I wouldn't want to fight one of your "hosts" Kudos!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012