Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There's Nothing Free in This World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mfb
I have asked a favor of mfb to post this for me. It is information about the piece of fiction in my current signature. Some people post short fiction or links to short fiction. I (well, mfb) am providing a link to a 329-page PDF (1.6 MB download), hosted on Shadowland.

There's Nothing Free In This World: A Shadowland Collaborative Novel (PDF) is exactly what it says it is.

First of all, it was written by twelve people, including myself. For me, it is the single greatest piece of writing I have ever written (and barring something fantastic, I will ever write), and have ever had the pleasure of writing. In a sense, it is epic: It is the sum and culmination of the lives' works of many of the site's more iconic characters--signature PCs all of the players involved. For me, it was the culmination of years of gaming and storytelling, written and rewritten over and over again.

But I really think that the only thing now is to do two things:

1. Provide a link. Done, but I'll do it again just in case: There's Nothing Free In This World: A Shadowland Collaborative Novel (PDF)

2. Provide a sample (or two), preferably with something that already says what I want to say:

Front and Back Covers

Acknowledgements

There are quite a few people who deserve thanks and recognition for putting this monstrosity together. It took over a year and a half of posting, with quite a few long interruptions on my part, to get this concluded. In the process, it became my biggest project on Shadowland. My most sincere thanks, of course, go to all of the people who contributed to this campaign. I had a lot of hope for it, but they took it and made this sucker play so well. I am more proud of this campaign than anything else I’ve ever done on Shadowland and Shadowrun in general. I also want to thank them for putting up with my capriciousness and random personal nonsense. They tolerated all these things, including my attempts to maim or kill their characters, because they saw the value of the campaign to Shadowland itself. Or they’re insane.

One of the people who obviously deserves acknowledgment is David Hyatt for creating the Shadowland BBS thirteen years ago. I also want to acknowledge Dave, Brian Schoner, and Jason Levine for all of their work in developing the Deus, Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, and Otaku storylines on Shadowland, and on the game itself. They made a huge impact on both along with all of the Shadowrun authors who from the first edition ran with the idea of an AI in the Renraku Arcology. Dave, Jay and Wireknight also ran the Shutdown and Brainscan online, and much of the story’s background is based on events that occurred during those campaigns, as well as Shadowland’s overall otaku campaign along with numerous other users, many of whom were involved in this campaign/novel.

I would like to acknowledge the contributions of users—Sarge (with other characters), Deadhammer, Mindset, and SunkenBuddha—who contributed awesomeness to the campaign. However, for purposes of telling a contained story from beginning to end I had to exclude them.

I also want to acknowledge some of the players who couldn’t participate, in some cases because I asked them too late in the game. But I particularly want to single out Thais and Shelley. Both ladies’ contributions could have been especially important in the end because they had characters who were involved in the Brainscan campaign, one of whom is referred to in the story.

I’d also like to acknowledge the work of Neil Gaiman. I used a quote from his Sandman comic as the title for my first story series, Absent Friends. Since then, I’ve come to appreciate the toast, “To absent friends, lost loves, old Gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”

I’d also like to acknowledge that subsequent canon material published by Fanpro after this campaign began (namely the publication of System Failure) made everything so much harder. So, thanks guys. That tree of liberty stuff was just super.

Finally, I want to acknowledge the real Samantha, who inspired all of this simply by calling me Jamie when we first met. I think. If she didn’t, then well… What a fortunate mistake.

Editor’s Note

As posting on this campaign was coming to a close, it became clear that it was going to be the finale to the careers for most of the legendary characters who remained on Shadowland, which made it all the more important that what they all did, and what they would face. Quite frankly, this campaign was in effect the ending of an era on Shadowland. It coincided with the end of what many of us considered Shadowrun following the release of Shadowrun Fourth Edition.

I should explain the origin of this story. Samantha Madison was supposed to be a NPC contact for another character I began playing in 2004. However, when I wasn’t looking she became my main character. In fact, she is my signature character, as each of the other major characters in this story are also their players’ signature characters. It came out of a series of short stories I had written about her, which focused on her being a manipulative Ms. Johnson for the UCAS government. She was useful because she was a social adept, and in turn that made her useful to people who weren’t happy with the status quo.

That situation led to my first story series, Absent Friends. Written in shortly after Gencon 2005, the end of that story was based on events described in very bare details in Shadowrun Fourth Edition, and then slightly modified after it was done to account for some events in System Failure. The end of the story was based around the attempted assassination of Vice President Nadja Daviar during the New Revolution insurrection/rebellion, ending in a pair of huge twists—Samantha sacrificed herself to save the woman whose actions had killed her husband in 2061, but out of nowhere three people whisked her and Daviar away into the unknown. But Samantha was alive, and when she realized that she had been used as a pawn she planned to act against it. Then she stepped out of her house, and was arrested. For background, I have interspersed the last chapter and epilogue of Absent Friends into this novelization.

This novel slightly diverges from canon, but for the most part reflects the fact that I am a canon whore. Quite frankly, I did it because I didn’t have information to base it on at the time something was written while some things (Tír Tairngire becoming ostensibly a democracy was so obvious that it was painful to see it become fact in Runner Havens) were done because they tell a good story. If I did my job well, then most of them aren’t noticeable. Some of them can even be explained away (Just because the Tír is publicly a democracy doesn’t mean that there isn’t still a High Prince running things from the shadows). This novel is at its most basic the log of an RPG campaign. I just wanted to tell a story, and I hoped the dice fell that way. Considering the sheer number of dice rolled, and opportunities for that to go awry, that was a lofty goal. The game turned out well, but the story is what I’ll always be most proud of.

Chapter 35

Eventually, the sun comes up and the twelve hour waiting period Val had imposed was coming to an end. About an hour and a half after they had left, the group of orks had returned to the garage with stolen loot in hand, most likely from the nearby mall. Luckily for them, they continued to have no interest in Babyshit.

Italy lays his hands on his knees and inhales, then exhales slowly. He's seated cross-legged in front of his pocsec; the rest of his gear is arranged in rows that are precise to the millimeter, having been thoroughly checked and cleaned. Six hours, thirty-four minutes, and forty-one seconds alone inside his own skull hadn't been easy. Hopefully, Val will have some good news for him. With the 10cm wand in his right hand, he selects Val's number from the phone book and hits the dial button.

After three rings, Val finally picks up. "So, are you on your way?"

"Yes, though the way the roads are, it could take quite a while." The adept doesn't move from his position for the moment. "I was hoping you had some news for me."

"I think we better speak in person. I've found some very interesting information that I don't think we should discuss this way."

"I'll see you then." Italy taps the disconnect icon, pulls a tarp over his equipment, and climbs into the front seat. His Guardian is in a shoulder holster under his jacket, and the HK227-S he sets between the front seats—out of sight, but not out of reach. Babyshit starts with its usual protests, and Italy drives out into the Seattle streets.

The drive out to The Point is relatively uneventful, save for the constant signs that the further one gets away from the affluent parts of the 'Plex, the more things have been allowed to devolve into abject horror. Of course, there are potential signs of collective self-sustenance and protection, but in Puyallup they are merely the existing order of near-survivalist enclaves becoming more martial in their presence. Eventually, he makes it to the Point, which seems to have lacked for nothing in spite of the collapsing world around it. Some smartass even put up a sign nearby that has been vandalized with a baseball bat that read, "The Bar at the End of the World." A few vehicles sit in the parking lot, including one he can presume is Val's. Even the bouncers look more fearsome bundled up in warm clothing and obvious armor (six of one...) as they stand outside. Letting Italy in with the usual cover charge, the adept spots Val at the end of the wall of booths with a pair of generic-looking muscleheads standing next to her booth.

"Val." Italy permits a corner of his mouth to twist up in greeting; Val's never lied to him unless she had to, which rates at least a small crack in his business face. "You've been well?"

"Well enough. Please, sit down."

Italy pulls out the chair opposite Val and carefully sits, not bothering to take off his jacket. THP is pretty lax on weapons in the bar as long as they don't come out, but on a night like this, there's no point in taking chances on making anyone nervous.

"So. How much of the package did you get?"

"I got the guns, the ammo and the explosives. I also found out probably more than I wanted to about this woman." Looking down at the table, she seems to indicate that he should look under it.

Italy tips his chair back, looking down behind his shades without bowing his head.

Beneath the table is a pair of large cases - the kinds one would use to carry weapons and ammunition.

"Okay," Italy nods, settling his chair on all four legs again. "Tell me about her."

"She's into a lot of things. Officially, she was a Colonel in the Army serving in JTF Seattle as an intelligence commander. However, she's also been doing a lot of Johnson work on the side, and has been ever since she got here in 2061. She was a supervisor for diplomatic protection until last year for the Secret Service. She's very stealthy, and very good at her job. From what I understand, she was working counterintelligence and covert operations through the Service for them and a lot of other alphabet soup agencies in the government. She's been doing this for twenty years now. Since she arrived, she's hired some heavy hitters for jobs all over the region, including a lot of people you've worked with in the past - close associates. The German and his friend Frankie, some mercs, everyone, even that guy Jay. They've known each other for fifteen years. She even hired my people behind my back.

"She is a fucking nightmare - someone with enough skill and political clout to get away with anything. She used to do this in DeeCee, and has some disgusting personal bankroll through her ex-husband and his family. She reported directly to Colloton, and suspicions be damned she took at least two bullets for Daviar before that plane exploded. She's the one who would have been hunting down the otaku and Winternight up to and after the Crash. But... She's seemed to have done a lot of independent activities which are so convoluted that she's probably the only person who knows about them. And right now? They had her locked up in Fort Lewis, but this morning they flew her to the Arc, and will probably move her as far from Seattle as possible. If I were you, I'd think very hard about what's important to me before I went any further with this inquiry."

Silence. Italy doesn't move—doesn't blink, doesn't even seem to be breathing. There's all the baggage that comes whenever the Arco is mentioned, of course. He sorts through that with practiced speed, if not ease. There's the fact that this woman has apparently played a fairly important role in his career without him ever suspecting—without him ever having met her. Almost everyone he knows is suspect; there's no telling who her web of contacts might include, or what contingencies might be in spinning into action with her sudden removal from the picture. And the people who he holds above suspicion are either unavailable... or safer not knowing. It's like holding a ticking time bomb and realizing you're in the middle of a minefield.

A great number of realizations slam into Italy in very rapid succession. He's blinded himself to a major portion of life in the shadows—a portion he should have been aware of and studying closely all along. Doing a good job and maintaining a strong work ethic are not enough to keep himself and his family safe from the consequences of what he does for a living. No one can know, or even suspect, why he's going after Madison. He is going after Madison, going back into the Arco to either extract her or kill her.

He realizes he is utterly and completely alone.

Backgammon
If I were to pick this book up in a store, and read the back, what would it say?
Backgammon
I was answered by PM. Here's the link to the back cover/synopsys.
fistandantilus4.0
I think it's awesome that you all put this together. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take your group to write this mfb?
mfb
hm. i'd guess around six months, minimum. 90% of it was one-on-one games that James GMd; i was aware of them, but wasn't participating. reading through the whole thing has been interesting, because it provides some perspective on things that went on in the games i was part of.

edit: James informs me that it began in Oct 2005, and finished in Oct-Nov 2006. so about a year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012