Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enchanting Focii
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
I have found that Street Magic or any discussion in the Forums here talk about enchanting focii.

So here are some stats on the fly so to speak

Cost
Force x 1,500
Availability (Force x 8)R

Bonding
Item Karma Cost
Enchanting Focus 6 x Force

Adds force of focus to Enchanting tests

Any Thoughts?

WearzManySkins
Ancient History
You do know why there are no Enchanting Foci, right?
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ancient History)
You do know why there are no Enchanting Foci, right?

No not really, I have not seen any discussion on enchanting focii.

I have some idea that it may relate to character's ability to make large amounts of enchanted items.

But under the older rule iterations, did that with out using any enchanting focii.

Created exotic reagents from meteoric iron. Due to the Team efforts, large amounts of dice pools, elementals, etc, it can be done easily.
Ancient History
It's munchkinny, is why. If you have an Enchanting Focus you can use it to build a higher Force Enchanting Focus, etc. That way lies madness.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ancient History)
It's munchkinny, is why. If you have an Enchanting Focus you can use it to build a higher Force Enchanting Focus, etc. That way lies madness.

Huh, then take a look at the existing rules then....

Buy and bond to a summoning focus.....under SM's Optional Rule: aid in enchanting, a summoning focus can aide in all tasks needed to craft a focus. by summoning the correct spirit for the tasks at hand.

If a enchanter is bonded to a level 4 enchanting focus and only has a magic attribute of 6 then he can only craft a level 6 focus and bond to it. But first he would have to debond to the level 4 focus before he can bond to the finished level 6 focus.

That is an awful lot of karma being used and discarded. How a character got such amounts of karma.....

LOL lets not get side track on the subject of munckins, dealing with that is up to each DM. What I view as munckin, others may not see it that way, and vice versa, to each their own.

Hmm technically one can use a power focus to summon the correct spirits to aid in the building of a greater power focus. But again the costs in karma can mount up quickly.
fistandantilus4.0
I could go fir a divination focus. Make a crystal ball or tarot cards. But an Enchanting foci, I don't think so. It's your game, , do as you like, but I just see it leading to bigger and bigger foci. Now if you used third editions rules for foci addiction, that'd be something else.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I could go fir a divination focus. Make a crystal ball or tarot cards. But an Enchanting foci, I don't think so. It's your game, , do as you like, but I just see it leading to bigger and bigger foci. Now if you used third editions rules for foci addiction, that'd be something else.

Basically the enchanting focii, is already in the game.

It is called the Power Focus, it adds its force to ALL tests to which magician's Magic is included. Exceptions being Counterspelling and weapon focii.

So it can be anyone's game. Each DM needs to make a determination/ruling/restriction.

An enchanting focii is alot cheaper in cost, time, and karma.

As for focus addition it is in the SR 4th rules.
fistandantilus4.0
Yes but it's pathetic in the SR4 rules.

Thankfully, even if a power foci does help enchanting, they still need to be able to design it with the arcana skill.
PlatonicPimp
OK, aside from rules issues, I think there's some story potential in this. The hammer of haphestus, vulcan's forge, there's some mythic resonance there that would tell me that the enchanting focus seems reasonable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012