Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is a question for older players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
YQM
Would a Night One's allergy be fixed temporarily by sunscreen or wearing covering clothing or is it something none of these would work for?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (YQM)
Would a Night One's allergy be fixed temporarily by sunscreen or wearing covering clothing or is it something none of these would work for?

If the night one is covered, then he isn't exposed to the sun. No exposure, no reaction. It's just like being covered by a roof (being inside), or the entire planet (night time). Covering is covering.

Sunscreen though, is generally insufficient, since they are allergic to sun light rather than simply getting lots of sun burns.

-Frank
mfb
it depends on what you decide the allergy is to. if it's light directly from the sun (eg, sunlight reflected off the moon doesn't count), then no, sunscreen won't help. if it's a specific part of the spectrum of light the sun outputs, then sunscreen might help if that part of the spectrum is the same part that sunscreen protects against--i believe that's just UV rays, but i could be wrong.

personally, i'd rule that any such measures would, at best, reduce the penalty by half, and would incur other problems (social penalties for walking around dressed like the invisible man, for instance).
YQM
Is it treated like sun poisoning that we have today? For example could any of these treat it temporarily?

Prevention

Prevention includes avoiding contact with the sun:

* Stay inside during the brightest hours of the day, from noon to 3 p.m.
* Cover up: wear long sleeves, pants, and a wide-brimmed hat whenever harsh exposure is probable. Remember that cloud cover does not provide protection from UV rays.
* Avoid chemicals that may trigger a reaction (do not, however, stop taking medication without consulting a doctor).
* Wear sunscreen[1] at least factor 30 with a high UVA protection level.
* If the symptoms are severe, see a doctor.

Foods & Treatment

The following foods or treatment may also help:

* Beta Carotene - found in carrots, not proven to be effective
* Omega-3 fatty acids - found in fish and flax seed
* Protein - will especially help individuals whose malnutrition may be a contributing factor.
* Vitamin B3, C, D, and E
* Green tea - antioxidants
* Calendula
* Aloe - external use
mfb
there's no in-game information on exactly how night ones' allergies work. so any and all of the above treatments would be up to the GM.
The Entropic Wizard
I, personally, believe that a night one would be fairly adverse to putting on sunscreen, because:

Pg.44 SRComp (2nd ed.)
A mostly European metavariant of elves, known by their own choice as Night Ones, possess the distinguishing characteristic of fine fur covering their bodies.

Sunscreen + Very fine fur = A gunky, nasty, splotchy-looking (and rather miffed about it) Night One. grinbig.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Sunscreen though, is generally insufficient, since they are allergic to sun light rather than simply getting lots of sun burns.

If, however, said sunscreen is indeed able to block all light (say, a fullbody treatmeant with nanopaste) - maybee.
Thane36425
I always considered the milder sunlight allergy, like the Night Ones, to be like being an albino. Stay out in the sun too long, which isn't long compared to most people, and bad things happen. In those cases, covering up and staying out of direct sunlight would help. Remember your sunglasses too though as the eyes are also sensitive.

There is also a disease that would be like the more severe levels where even brief exposure causes major burns and can kill quite easily. They had to stay well out of the light, even an unshaded window can provide enough reflected sunlight to cause problems. Also, they pretty much have to wear space suit sort of things to totally block all light coming through to go outside.

Luddite
I've always interpreted it as strictly as possible, being more of a whole body reaction to being exposed to direct (or even strong indirect) sunlight. Less of a traditional allergic reaction (which is the body's immune system overreacting to a perceived threat from a non-threatening substance) and more of a nocturnal animal's response to being awake and active outside of it's correct cycle. I think it would probably present as lethargy and irritability, rather than inflammation etc.
Tiger Eyes
Sunscreen + Very fine fur = A gunky, nasty, splotchy-looking (and rather miffed about it) Night One.

As someone who has had to sunscreen a horse, I can tell you that it actually works quite well. Costs a fortune. But the suncreen does absorb through the hair right into the skin. As long as you can keep the Night One from rolling in the dirt right after applying the sunscreen... wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)
As someone who has had to sunscreen a horse...

indifferent.gif

..... ok this I gotta hear. I hope it's as funny as it sounds.
Lady Door
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)
As someone who has had to sunscreen a horse

Wow.. you know.. sometimes I hear things like this and it makes me incredibly grateful to do the work I do. All I have to do is get sunscreen on a squirming two year old..
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah but you rarely have to tell a horse not to bite the cat. wink.gif
Ravor
Heh, tell that to my Aunt...
mfb
why? how often does your aunt bite cats?
fistandantilus4.0
Hopefully only as often as required. Those cats can get uppity ya know. Need to be put in their place. At least, that's what I tell my self to explain why my son felt the need to bite ours. Your crazy Aunt might have different reasons.
mfb
i'm not making the joke i could make. i hope you all appreciate my restraint.
fistandantilus4.0
I do. I'll log that away for later redemption.
Ravor
*wry chuckle* Ok, let me rephrase my last post....

Heh, tell that to my Aunt's horse...
mfb
now there's an awkward conversation to start. "i'm gonna go see an aunt about a horse..."
PBTHHHHT
Gawd, when I read the bit about worrying about getting sunscreen on the fur I remembered the old thread about Night Ones which later on talked about removal of the fur. gawd, why did I remember that thread?
hobgoblin
even better, why did you bother do dig up said thread and post a link to it here?
PBTHHHHT
Not sure, you do strange things at 3 in the morning.
Tiger Eyes
Yeah but you rarely have to tell a horse not to bite the cat. 

You just have to tell the horse not to bite you.

And sorry, it isn't really that funny of a story (unless you were watching, in which case you probably could've sold tickets). Horses with white hair frequently have pink skin... Pink skin that burns just like pink-skinned humans. I had a colt with pink skin and his (pure white) hair wasn't thick enough to block the sun, so we either had to let him outside only at night, or sunscreen the hell out of him. Since nighttime isn't the safest time for baby horses to be roaming pasture-land, we went with choice B. Two people to hold the little fiend still, and me dancing around him, trying not to get kicked or bit for my loving care. I had more bruises that summer... sarcastic.gif

And as for fur removal for a Night One... well, just body-clip 'em with a 40 blade clipper... (er, yeah, another horse thing, but you can actually remove almost all the hair... but that's another story and much much more amusing).

hobgoblin
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Not sure, you do strange things at 3 in the morning.

true that, and adding alcohol or similar to said mix dont help either silly.gif
nathanross
Getting back to the thread, my first character was a night elf and Im dying for Metavariants in SR4 just so I can be a night ones again.

I recently started playing in an SR3 campaign, in Europe and thought I now could be a night elf without seeming out of place (an albino, pretty silver one, in fact). GM shot it down since it is a high level campaign and we have to blend in.

Before it was thrown out though I did some thinking as to the Sunlight allergy and fur. As Frank said, if you are completely covered/out of the light, then the allergy no longer counts. Unfortunately, the fact that they are covered in fur discounts this viewing of the allergy. Much like vampires, I see this allergy as more in the presence of light, and not merely when in contact with.

I would level the allergy up one level when the fur is removed though, and while an albino is just a normal albino when shaven, a purple, blue, or orange night elf would be really weird underneath. Another cool posibility though would be melanin control. Instead of changing between the normal colors. I think they would probably change between the normal colors for their metavariant. Though this would also allow them to be completely white if they wanted.

Im also waiting on Wakiyambi rules for a voodoo houngan I want to make.
fool
I think that the "being completely covered" means by something other than yourself.
Fur does protect animals from the elements, but, it's still part of the critter and thus subject to the allergy. I believe that what mister trollman was refering to was something like a monks robe with a deep cowl to protect the face.
The cool coloring thing worked really well in one of my campaigns where the only character to SURGE was a magicin troll who wound up with purple fur and pink skin and red eyes. A little too distinctive for a shadowrunner, but a great dachboard ornament.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012