Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Programs run by an IC/Agent
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HatterMadness
I know that an IC/Agent can run instances of the programs that you have on your comm, but when you first activate an IC or Agent are those programs in his action list instantly usable? or does each have to be activated like the hacker himself has to do before using a program?

Example: Say my hacker character makes his own IC called "Titan". And it's set to be a simple defense in the comm is alerted to an intruder. So Titan is given links to Attack, Armor, and Track programs.
Now when the comm sends out that Alert and Titan is automatically loaded. Does Titan have instant use of his 3 programs? or will Titan need to take 3 complex actions to activate each program before being able to use them?
hobgoblin
i have no clue, and the book isnt helping.

it appears that a agent can load and unload programs on the go, and keeping to many active at the same time triggers conditions similar to overloading a comlink with programs. but where said agent is getting its programs from i cant tell...
Glayvin34
This is a great issue, and I think you kind of have to houserule the visualization.

I've always played that there are two ways to load Agents, dependent (just another program on your comm), and independent ("loaded on a particular node separate from your persona" from page 228). Independent Agents start out with no programs, and have to spend complex actions to load up, and can then go on their Matrix adventures. Dependent Agents use the programs that are already loaded on your comm, but can't leave and can't load their own programs, but can load more programs on your comm.

Note that this is our houserule solution, there are many differing opinions.

EDIT: And this solution is exploitable. In your Titan example, you could load Titan as an independent Agent, fill him with programs and he could lie in wait. Or he could be loaded as a dependent Agent as a complex action, but you would have to have appropriate defensive programs for him to use already loaded on your comm.
DireRadiant
Program in the agent's payload count for things like system and response.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Program in the agent's payload count for things like system and response.

I agree. That's not very clear in the RAW, but obviously Agents can't have their own internal sources of computing power.
Cheops
At least as far as IC goes I allow it to immediately have the programs loaded. There's better things it could be doing with that Simple Action than loading programs.

Otherwise, I'd concur with others in this post. If the agent is loaded onto you commlink (or node) and the programs are also loaded there then it automatically has access. If it is running independent then it has to load them manually for use elsewhere in the matrix.
Aaron
Since Agents/IC can already load and use the programs you have in your PAN, I've found that if you take "payload" to mean "compressed and stored programs that act like they're saved in a local storage device," the rules work nicely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012