Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Priority in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ElFenrir
Though i could be wrong. Ive seen BeCks variants; but no Priority variants. Being that the Priority system was one of my favorites(it had its issues, but then again, so did all the chargen methods in one way or another), i am going on a small mission to attempt to remake it.

However, already there are a few things different. While it's easy to re-prioritize Attributes, Skills, and Magical priorities, the introduction of Edge, Magic and Resonance has raised some issues.

1. Add them in to normal attribues, and there might be too much/too little. I think im going to invent the F Priority of ''Special Attribute Points'' to be divided between Edge, Magic, and Resonance. Non magical people can pump them all into Edge, and taken at a high priority, this can give that high Edge people speak of. Of course, at the cost of everything else.

2. Contact are another issue, since they are no longer purchased. I was thinking of giving a base Cha x Something contact points. This will not only deter Cha from being a dumpstat, but make them not have to be purchased, per se. However, not EVERY character will have a hot Cha score, or should be forced too, so i might put a price system on it again.

3. Full Mage=A, Adept=B, Technomancer=C i was thinking, due to the hard time technomancers have at the start.

4. Since Spells and Complex forms are chosen with BPs, ill have to tweak this system.

More later; i must run for now, but i wanted to throw the idea out there.
ElFenrir
Ok, returned from my work outing, so ill clarify more on this.

As stated above, i love the Priority system. But it does have several issues that need ot be ironed out if it's to be converted. I figure starting with all of the ''parts'' and figure how to work them in as a whole.

1. Race. Easy enough to work in, i'd say C priority for all races, i didnt much like the division of elves/trolls and dwarves/orks. If anything, i'd put Elves lower due to them simply not having a WHOLE lot of stuff they get. Keep bonuses the same, theyve always been there.

2. Bringing out this system, i'd have all attributes start at 0. Must add at least 1 point to it, and then add the bonuses, as SR1/2/3.

3. Attributes. The base 8 are the easiest to figure out. Priority A SHOULD give a decent amount of whatever you put in it; it IS the top priority, after all. In SR3, A gave 30 points, enough to ensure a 5 in everything if you divided it equally down the line. Since 4 is the new 5, I'd say allowing 4's down the line is acceptable for the top priority. 8x4=32 points seems reasonable. Ive seen plenty of Priority A attribute characters go down like a sack of rocks, so it's absolutely not the end all be all. Ill actually plug the numbers later. It goes down as priorities go down. I'd say limiting players to one 6 out of the box is also a good idea.

4.Edge. This is the first wrench in the gears. I thought about it a couple of ways. First, im not sure if edge should be at 0 for all characters, and must be added too...and perhaps make it possible to have 0 Edge, if someone is suicidal enough. Humans could have +1 edge as their one racial trait. Im leaning toward this idea. One possible way is to tack a couple of points onto each Attribute priority and make players add to Edge through their main pool of Attributes. While SR4's Edge points don't count toward your regular Attributes...the fact that Priority A Attributes is roughly equivalent to spending 240 BPs on them, it could balance out. Im leaning toward a couple point increase to each one, as said, so players dont have to spread them too thin(a) or agonize over it(which some do.) So, 34 points for Priority A attributes, and Edge is increased from this amount, is an example.

5. Skills. Wrench number 2 in the gears, but not so big a one. It could be done a couple ways; 1-to keep the skill costs the same as the normal chargen, and figure out numbers of points for each priority(170 for priority A, 150 priority B, etc...again, numbers can be balanced and figured out later). The other system i had in mind would be rather a pain to rewrite(skills on a 1 for 1 basis, with the old fashioned way of specializing, skill groups costing 2 points per 1 point of a 3 skill group, and 3 for 1 point of a 4 skill group, netting a 4 point savings either way.) But the first idea might just work and wouldn't take anything but figuring out what amount goes with what priority. Keep limits of one 6 and the rest 4 or under, or two 5's, and skill groups at 4. as before.

6.Resources. This is about as easy as Attributes, IMO...simply figure a good amount for each Priority. 250,000 for priority A is a good start, since that is the max you can buy at chargen with the current BP allotment, and that is about equivalent to the million in SR3. (Ok, the more reasonable 650,000. grinbig.gif)

Ok, ill throw that out first. Any feedback is much appreciated. Im still milling over Magic/Resonance/Contacts, the former two is turning out to be the biggest pain of them all. But i have some ideas in mind; just would like to know if this is workable. Written down, i don't see how it would ruin the system, it's simply another method of chargen.

Also would like to edit, im trying to keep this to 5 priorities, instead of the extra one listed above. I dont want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
Lagomorph
You could probably lump edge and magic in with attributes, so a pri A attribute character could have 32 or 36 points to spend on attributes including edge and magic.
ElFenrir
Possibility there. Well, if i were to lump Magic/Resonance, Attributes, and Edge together, i think adding four-five to the number is a good idea. So, if it were 32, 36 might indeed be it. It's nothing too excessive, but it compensates having to split one pool between a few things(where in the current chargen, its pretty much seperate.)

Ill toy with this idea. It could work well. The only drawback, is that a non magically active might just have TOO much.Alot is one thing, too much is another, and id be not as worried for the A priority, but for the lower ones. But, 4 extra points isnt enough to really break anything. It will take some testing in any case. smile.gif
Eryk the Red
The thing you need to watch out for is balancing the different priorities for categories. The simplest way to do this is (if we assume the BP costs as listed to be balanced) to say that all A priorities are worth X BPs more than the E or F priority in the same category (depending how many priorities we have). So basically you assign any amount that seems right to the lowest priority in each category. The lowest priority for Attributes might be 10, for example, and the lowest for Skills 15. You would then decide how many BPs more the next higher priority is worth, say perhaps 20. That priority would thus give you 12 attribute points and 20 Skill points. The next higher priority might be worth thirty more than that, giving you 15 attribute points and 28 skill points. And so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012