Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some ? on magic and hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
valen
First the question on magic. Is it just me or is drain really really light for spellcasters? We ran into an NPC mage that was throwing force 6 manabolts with out any drain. I was a player, so I don't have his stats available, but we looked up the drain code and I believe it was (F/2) or three boxes. 3 boxes seems awefully light for the kind of bad stuff that a f6 manabolt does. Our mage was confident he could toss those around without breaking a sweat if he didn't specialize in summoning (and had magic @ 6).

Next up, I read the hacking stuff pretty quickly, but I didn't see much difference in hacking on the fly and otherwise. It seems like your still looking for firewall (+3 or +6 depending on privilege level you need) and rolling hacking + exploit. Seem like the host still gets a shot to detect you (system + analyze?) no matter which method you use. I assume I missed something here?

later
ornot
An important thing to note about hacking on the fly as compared to probing is that while hacking on the fly the system gets to roll every time you do, and gets to accumulate hits until it beats the rating of the hackers stealth program.

While probing takes longer, and the threshold is higher, the system only gets one roll to detect the hacker, unless there's a glitch.
Glayvin34
On your Drain Question-
What I noticed with that is that the Drain really seems to accumulate. It's not too obvious, but overcast a little and mess up a few of those Drain rolls and you're suddenly injured. Then all an enemy has to do is put a little more stun on you and you're dust.
If you want to think about it another way, think about how many times the average character needs to resist damage in a given Combat situation, and then how many times the Mage does. The Mage rarely leaves combat without at least a little Stun, and that's if he's on the offensive.

On your Hacking Question-
The big difference is that when you're Hacking on the Fly, the opposing node gets an opposed test for every one of your tests to Hack in. Probing the Target only affords the opposing node one test, regardless of how many rolls it takes to get in.
Ravor
Also something to remember is that unlike previous Editions, the majority of Mages will only have a Magic of 3, so for most Mages that Force 6 Manaball will be causing Physical Drain.

However, I'd imagine that more then likely the NPC Mage was built like many PCs are, with both Drain Stats at 5+, Focused Concentration, possibly some Bio Enhancements and one of the first Metamagics being Centering, in which case yeah, he should have been able to toss around powerful Magicks without much hassle. Just be aware that your team surely faced one of the more powerful meta-human wizards in the sprawl and lived to tell the tale.

As for Force 6 Manabolts being nasty, yeah, but so is a narrow burst fired from an assualt rifle loaded with ex-ex rounds, and unlike the Manabolt, a sammy only takes damage from his weapon if he rolls a crit glitch. (Plus the assualt rifle doesn't leave the user's personal calling card everytime its used.)
Wasabi
Probing can be performed by every shadowrunner and sprite that has Exploit 1 and a commlink. It may not be advisable, mind you, but probing an entrance is the time consuming crap part and getting the TM with threaded/assisted Stealth, Analyze, etc up to 12 to waltz in makes for very efficient digital breakins. smile.gif
Wasabi
QUOTE (Ravor)
...nasty, yeah, but so is a narrow burst fired from an assualt rifle loaded with ex-ex rounds...

Sniper Rifle with APDS... nastiest weapon in the game IMO. You can seriously maim spirits even with that thing since its AP value is like what.... -7 total?
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Wasabi)
Probing can be performed by every shadowrunner and sprite that has Exploit 1 and a commlink. It may not be advisable, mind you, but probing an entrance is the time consuming crap part and getting the TM with threaded/assisted Stealth, Analyze, etc up to 12 to waltz in makes for very efficient digital breakins. smile.gif

If ya got 400-500 Karma...
2bit
every time they cast a spell, they get punched in the head.

However, it's predictable and manageable. Pretty easy to know your limits. It just so happens the guy in your example has pretty high limits.

Yes, this is a very, very small price to pay for killing anyone you can see with your mind.

People complain about how expensive it is to be a mage at chargen, but in fact it's only expensive to be a really good mage at chargen. Being an "average" one is actually pretty affordable.
2bit
saying "the majority of mages will only have Magic 3" is just rhetoric unless you make it a reality in your game. If magician PCs concentrate heavily in their magical abilities (as they should), what you get is either A. the magical opposition the team usually faces will be underpowered, because most of it has ratings of 3, or B. magical opposition scales to give the PCs a challenge, and the "average 3" no longer becomes true. Magic is just too rare for there to be a good pedestrian value to go by.
Ravor
2bit you realize that the exact same thing holds true for the mundane opposition the team faces as well right?

Why shouldn't all of the sec-guards hired to protect 'Lab X' only be made up of the best of the best who could thread a bullethole with their firearms? After all, I'm fairly sure that the team's sammy has concentrated heavily on his combat skills. And I'm also fairly sure that the team's Decker has concentrated just as heavily on his Matrix abilities.

The answer is of course that they might be if 'Lab X' is worth the time and trouble that it would take to staff it with such super-soldiers, but it doesn't change the fact that your average Joe Human will have a '3' in his stats and a '3' in whatever skill(s) his job requires, and the same will also hold true for Jake Mage down the street, the PCs, Awakened or Mundane *ARE* the exceptions, not the rule.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Apr 23 2007, 04:52 PM)

If ya got 400-500 Karma...

Nope, can be done with starting characters.

TM with CF at 6 with a Rating 6 Registered Sprite using a service to Assist (+6) makes it an instant 12 with the only drain being the Registration test between runs. With threading and 2 services you could do it with a Resonance of 5, CF at 5, and Registered Sprite at 5 with 2 points from Threading sustained by a Registered Sprite.

TM's ROCK...
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Wasabi)
Nope, can be done with starting characters.

Hm. I guess you're right.

Who knew? Not me.
Demon_Bob
The biggest complaint I used to hear from a player is that Magic is overpowered, because with everything else you get the chance to Dodge and Resist. Where with most magic you can only resist, as well as that Armor does not normally apply.

This was untill he ran a couple of adventures and had his main villain KOed in the first round by a Rigger and his drones. The Street Sami mopped up his minions. The Mage and Rat shaman, having been delayed by swarms of rabid Rats arrived just in time to say, "Good Job Guys!"

I still hate the matrix. It makes sense, but still seems rules complex, and although meshes with the Skill + Stat system, substituting program for Stat, just feels different from the rest of the rules. Was wondering what people thought of limiting rerolls to Logic*2 and/or Limiting program usage to Logic attribute, thereby eliminating the Logic 1 Hacker.

Umm, got off subject. What was the question again? Oh ya.

The trouble with magic drain is that it seems to compound itself.
Also mages tend to have little in the way of speed augmentation.
The health spell must be maintained, and either reduces effectiveness or requires a Sustaining Foci, Enhanced Reflexes Cyberware has to much essence drain for its effect, and Synaptic booster combines a little essence drain with great expense.

JonathanC
QUOTE (Ravor)
Also something to remember is that unlike previous Editions, the majority of Mages will only have a Magic of 3, so for most Mages that Force 6 Manaball will be causing Physical Drain.

However, I'd imagine that more then likely the NPC Mage was built like many PCs are, with both Drain Stats at 5+, Focused Concentration, possibly some Bio Enhancements and one of the first Metamagics being Centering, in which case yeah, he should have been able to toss around powerful Magicks without much hassle. Just be aware that your team surely faced one of the more powerful meta-human wizards in the sprawl and lived to tell the tale.

As for Force 6 Manabolts being nasty, yeah, but so is a narrow burst fired from an assualt rifle loaded with ex-ex rounds, and unlike the Manabolt, a sammy only takes damage from his weapon if he rolls a crit glitch. (Plus the assualt rifle doesn't leave the user's personal calling card everytime its used.)

Err...what groups are you playing with? The majority of mages in games I've run seem to pony up the points for at least 5 points of magic, often 6.
Ravor
Well JonathanC, I started my second paragraph with "However, I'd imagine that more then likely the NPC Mage was built like many PCs are ..." , and in my second post I made it a point to mention that whether mundane or Awakened the PCs are exceptions to the rule, so while yes, in the Sixth World the majority of mages will have a Magic (3) coupled with Spellcasting (3), the PC Mages tend to be more powerful, just as the rest of the PCs will tend to be faster/smarter/sexier then the rest of the world as well in their choosen specialities...
Aaron
QUOTE (JonathanC)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Apr 23 2007, 09:49 PM)

Err...what groups are you playing with? The majority of mages in games I've run seem to pony up the points for at least 5 points of magic, often 6.

I think "NPC magicians" was what was intended. Much the same way that your average member of a security patrol has Pistols 3.
Ravor
Yes Aaron, that was exactly what I meant to say, only more conceise and to the point. cyber.gif
2bit
QUOTE (Ravor @ Apr 23 2007, 05:21 PM)
2bit you realize that the exact same thing holds true for the mundane opposition the team faces as well right?

Why shouldn't all of the sec-guards hired to protect 'Lab X' only be made up of the best of the best who could thread a bullethole with their firearms? After all, I'm fairly sure that the team's sammy has concentrated heavily on his combat skills. And I'm also fairly sure that the team's Decker has concentrated just as heavily on his Matrix abilities.

First, because the exact same thing doesn't hold true for the mundane opposition. What they lack in individual power they make up for in numbers. Doing the same with magic opposition, in most siutations runners encounter, is at odds with the SR setting. Magicians, and magic, is rare.

Second, magic is the "air power" of shadowrun. While everyone else plays paper/scissors/rock, Magic throws the Bomb. It trumps, and dominance in magic is key to victory in battle. edit: So, it's important that this aspect not be a pushover.

Third, from a story driven, dramatic standpoint, powerful magic makes a great antagonist. It's so rare, so it makes sense for the few magician characters the PCs encounter to be powerful ones.
valen
I re-read the wireless world chapter again last night and I noticed the difference between fast hacking and slow hacking in a careful reading. Cool. My hacker is about to come into a bunch of money soon, so I'm looking forward to getting some agents and drones.

As for the magician, we did quickly realize that he was pretty advanced. I'm pretty sure the team's summoner could have taken him if he didn't have a barrier in place which prevented the spirit horde from getting at him. Made sense too, the mage had kidnapped someone and was holding them for ransom.

If its any consolation, manabolt was just as horrible in 2nd ed...
Fezig
One of the lovely bits about SR is that PC or NPC, green runner or vet, a shot to the face is still something to worry about. One of the charms of the system.

And I would agree that the average corp or sec mage would likely have a 3 maybe 4 in magic, there are references all over the place to corps being "hungry for any magic they can get" and mages who are "upset that the corp believes their powers only go so far and as a result there is a cap on advancement in the company for them." What needs to be remembered is that for the average person a 3 in magic is something to worry about still.
Synner
Run of the mill magicians in the Sixth World will indeed have 3-4 Magic (possibly 5-6 if they've initiated a couple of times which isn't uncommon if they've been active a while). However, a natural Skill or Magic Att. 6 individual is quite powerful.

As I think its relevant to the issue of the game balance of sorcery, I just thought I'd revisit the often overlooked fact that visibility and cover modifiers apply to spellcasting too - this impacts magic use directly by reducing relevant dice pools.

I've been running SR4 for 2 years now and I've yet to encounter a situation where a magician got to use his full sorcery dice pool in combat. In fact in most shadowrunning situations magicians (regardless of which side they're on) are looking at a -2 modifier minimum in combat - unless they're idiots and are standing out in the open with "geek the mage" painted on their body armor. Obviously there's ways around this, but I've seen modifiers eat away all of a magician's dice pool more than once.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Synner @ Apr 24 2007, 09:54 AM)
I've been running SR4 for 2 years now and I've yet to encounter a situation where a magician got to use his full sorcery dice pool in combat. In fact in most shadowrunning situations magicians (regardless of which side they're on) are looking at a -2 modifier minimum in combat - unless they're idiots and are standing out in the open with "geek the mage" painted on their body armor. Obviously there's ways around this, but I've seen modifiers eat away all of a magician's dice pool more than once.

Even though I just started playing my Hacker Mage, I usually find that restrictions improve game play. Can I ask you what modifiers you tend to use on your Mage? Background count and LOS are the only things that come to mind for me.
Ravor
QUOTE (2bit)
First, because the exact same thing doesn't hold true for the mundane opposition. What they lack in individual power they make up for in numbers. ...

You know, I tend to run the Sixth World as being rather 'darker' then most people seem to, with meta-human life being cheap even in the better parts of town, the megas giving their wage-slaves just enough to drown their misry in the company store/bar but not enough to actually live on, forceable drug treatments/implants just to keep their jobs that is latter deducted out of their wages, ect... But one thing that I don't usually do is 'zerg' the players with mundane sec-guards, sure there are more of them out there for the corps to use, but if anything that just means that there is more tactical experience to draw upon and Knowsofts are cheap.

QUOTE (2bit)
Doing the same with magic opposition, in most siutations runners encounter, is at odds with the SR setting. Magicians, and magic, is rare.

Oh I fully agree that magical talent should be rare, if I remember correctly ~1% of the population is knowingly Awakened, although I've seen people throw out the ~5% number as well, but I've never been able to track the larger number down myself. However, one thing that the corps do have is the raw resources to make sure that the Mages that they do have on staff have some of the best Magical Lodges as well as enough Binding Materials that your average corp-Mage will have their max amount of Bound Spirits to call upon.

QUOTE (2bit)
Second, magic is the "air power" of shadowrun. While everyone else plays paper/scissors/rock, Magic throws the Bomb. It trumps, and dominance in magic is key to victory in battle. edit: So, it's important that this aspect not be a pushover.

And I mostly agree, where I disagree is with the idea that a Magic (3) / Spellcasting (3) Mage with his limit of Bound Spirits is a pushover when viewed by mundanes. Sure there are better and badder guns out there, and more then likely the PC Mages will be among the baddest out there, but even the most powerful and sucessful Runner Mage can never hope to compete with the raw nuyen.gif that a corp can throw at their Magical assets.

QUOTE (2bit)
Third, from a story driven, dramatic standpoint, powerful magic makes a great antagonist. It's so rare, so it makes sense for the few magician characters the PCs encounter to be powerful ones.

Now this is where I think we totally disagree, because I believe what makes a truly great antagonist is their personality and soul, not merely how much raw power they can throw around at a whim. But then again I've been told that I trend somewhat towards the 'simulation' style of DMing, so we may just have different views on what makes a good story.

<><><><><><><><><><>

QUOTE (Synner)
Run of the mill magicians in the Sixth World will indeed have 3-4 Magic (possibly 5-6 if they've initiated a couple of times which isn't uncommon if they've been active a while). However, a natural Skill or Magic Att. 6 individual is quite powerful.

You know Synner, something that I've been wondering about the Fourth Edition fluff, since Initiation is supposed to be fairly common amongst the more experienced mages by 2070, why haven't we been given a BP cost for Initation? And if you were to allow Initation at char-gen what would you charge for it?

Thanks,
valen
Even though I just started playing my Hacker Mage, I usually find that restrictions improve game play. Can I ask you what modifiers you tend to use on your Mage? Background count and LOS are the only things that come to mind for me.

What modifiers would apply in astral space? The entire magical duel took place in AS. Neither mage was even present physically.
Synner
QUOTE (valen @ Apr 24 2007, 06:06 PM)

What modifiers would apply in astral space? The entire magical duel took place in AS. Neither mage was even present physically.

On the physical the three basic modifiers you can rely on to deplete a magician's dicepool are visibility modifiers, cover modifiers, and background count (the first two being much more common and useful than the latter). On the countermeasures side there's also Counterspelling, Shielding and co.

On the astral all three basic modifiers continue to apply (though less so in astral combat than spellcasting). Astral visibility modifiers are listed in the Astral Space chapter of Street Magic. Cover and background count can be handled in much the same way as they are on the physical plane.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Synner)
On the astral all three basic modifiers continue to apply (though less so in astral combat than spellcasting). Astral visibility modifiers are listed in the Astral Space chapter of Street Magic. Cover and background count can be handled in much the same way as they are on the physical plane.

There is a good set there on page 114, visibiliity modifiers in Astral Space for ambient mana levels- obviously more mana means less visibility. The background count thing makes a lot of sense and looks like it would help to balance projecting Magicians.

QUOTE (valen)

Do you have a copy of SM, valen? Presence of excessive shadows, ebbs and warps, background illumination (jungle v. hospital room) and Aura noise (crowded v. alone) all have an impact on astral visibility.
valen
Do you have a copy of SM, valen? Presence of excessive shadows, ebbs and warps, background illumination (jungle v. hospital room) and Aura noise (crowded v. alone) all have an impact on astral visibility.

No, guessing I'm gonna have to pick it up.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (valen @ Apr 24 2007, 02:37 PM)
No, guessing I'm gonna have to pick it up.

If you've got Mages, it's kind of essential. There's certainly some superfluous rules that you wouldn't need in a campaign unless the character or GM had their heart set on it (like making your own foci and spells, alchemy and stuff, but that's only 1 chapter), but the Astral Space, Spirits, and Grimoire chapters are worth it, IMHO.
JonathanC
Here's another question: A lot has been made of how wards can be set up around something that moves, like a van, since it isn't moving in relation to the object that was warded, or something like that. If that is the case, and someone wards a van, how many bullet holes do I have to put in that van to break the ward? What if I pop the windows? failing that, what if I sawed open part of the walls of the van/car with a monofilament sword?
FrankTrollman
An important note that I haven't seen brought up on this thread is that casting a spell is a complex action. Firing a gun is a simple. So for every one Force 6 mana bolt you throw down, you could have fired a heavy pistol twice.

So while the manabolt does more damage (6p and no soak), the pistol gets fired twice. So if you hit with the manabolt (assuming one net hit), your target takes 7+ boxes of damage. If you fired a pistol at him, he'd soak 6+ physical (at -1 AP) two times. If your target has a limited soak value or you're getting a lot of net hits on the attack roll, the pistol does more damage over the initiative pass - and of course it also costs not drain.

And that's a pistol. If you're shooting bursts of AP rounds out of an assault rifle it isn't even close. The automatic rifle does more damage than the manabolt and it fires twice.

---

That being said, once players get a bunch of runs under their belt and start throwing around initiates with huge dice pools and the centering to reliably dump Force 9 manabolts on their enemies... then yes, the mages drop an opponent pretty much every time they go (unless there's a big Plant Spirit on the other team). Of course, by that point you've also got the street samurai with enough strength to haul around a "sniper rifle" as a close combat weapon and the AP rounds to make it hilarious and they'll often as not drop two enemies in an IP.

Shadowrun is really deadly. The fact that magicians can seriously injure people and suffer little or no drain doing it doesn't even register on the things that experienced shadowrunners are afraid of.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012