Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Armor question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
jklst14
I don't have my books in front of me but this question has been bothering me all morning so I had to post it.

It's my understanding that Mystic Armor works much like regular armor, including the conversion of physical damage to stun under circumstances detailed in the main rule book.

So, if an adept had the mystic armor power, would he/she

-ever get a paper cut?
-ever cut himself while shaving?
-be able to get her ears pierced?
-be able to get needles? (like the hospital scene in Superman Returns...)

I was thinking about this because once could argue that all the above would cause a very small amount of physical damage that even just rating 1 Mystic Armor would then convert to Stun.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

JKL
DireRadiant
Is it even really damage? If it doesn't create damage boxes, will Mystic Armor work on it?

Sticking a needle in someone doesn't cause stun or physical damage boxes.

Otherwise it's up to you to decide how you want it to work.

Maybe my Adepts Mystic Armor doesn't let me get paper cuts, but some other Adept can cut himself shaving! There's no reason it has to be the same for everyone. It's MAGIC!
Luddite
Instructions for the Adept Needle:
1) Remove needle from packaging.
2) If drawing fluid, skip to step 3. If administering an injection, draw compound into needle.
3) Grasp the body of the needle firmly, raise the arm to near-full extension with the hand in line with the shoulder.
4) Insert the needle into the vein using a vigorous overhand motion.

Seriously, I'd say that needles have a pretty high AP, but with really high versions of mystic armor it could indeed become a problem.
jklst14
Thanks Luddite. It didn't even occur to me that needles would have an AP value. That makes a lot of sense thinking of it that way.

So an adept with normal levels of mystic armor could probably still get shots and surgery but would be protected from things like paper cuts and superficial scrapes...
fool
I'm thinking of Pulp fiction here.
DireRadiant
For that you need the marker.
Wasabi
I think as a magical effect a ward could turn it off and if a ward could turn it off a adept should be able to as well. Just my thoughts...
knasser

Wards turn off adept powers?

The can is open! The worms are everywhere!
Demerzel
The fish aren't biting...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (jklst14)
So, if an adept had the mystic armor power, would he/she

-ever get a paper cut?
-ever cut himself while shaving?
-be able to get her ears pierced?
-be able to get needles? (like the hospital scene in Superman Returns...)

That depends entirely on the level of MA it has - a leather jacket has 2/2.
lorechaser
I've also always assumed that Adept powers can be surpressed by the Adept at will - there's just not often much reason for it. So if they *wanted* to be vulnerable like a fleshie, they could. It's just rare that they would.
Shrike30
I've always assumed that Adept powers required a little bit of concentration to use... it's something they're used to doing all the time, so they incur no penalties from it... like how some people stand really straight without thinking about it, after serving in the military. That doesn't mean they can't turn it off, though.
Mistwalker
I agree with Lorechaser, that an adept can suppress their abilities if they want.

Cause if they have to concentrate on them, then once the are asleep or unconcious, they would lose all their abilities, which is not how I see them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012