Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eye covers.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shev
Eye covers, as described on page 332 of the SR4 book, are fairly simple. They cover your eyes, giving +2 points of armor on them. Not a bad choice, to be sure.

That said, how obvious are they? Can they be retractable? Can they go under the eyelids, or do they cover the entire ocular cavity, like a pair of glasses?

This has come up because I have a player who wants to have dead black eye covers that cover the whole eye, and are not removable. (This was inspired by Neuromancer.)

I don't think it's an immediate problem, but it seems to me that, in the long run, they would become a pretty easy way to identify him. Somehow, I can't imagine runners wanting something that obvious on themselves that they can't remove. Am I just overdoing it?
Ravor
Although I could be mistaken, my understanding is that at the very least they can't be removed easily and are very much noticable...

*Edit*

Also if he just wants to have some funky looking Cybereyes, well that comes with the package and if I remember correctly you can even download new images to display...
WhiskeyMac
I always thought they were kind of like contacts in that they just covered the eye under the eyelid. Never really goes into what it covers or how it looks. I guess you could make them removable for double the price.

Another question: Can protective covers get vision modifications implanted in them?
Jack Kain
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I always thought they were kind of like contacts in that they just covered the eye under the eyelid. Never really goes into what it covers or how it looks. I guess you could make them removable for double the price.

Another question: Can protective covers get vision modifications implanted in them?

No their just transparent armor covers for cybereyes.
Whipstitch
My gm basically treats the base protective covers model as a common and inexpensive cosmod (which, frankly, is really about all they ever amount to, when it comes down to it), and therefore getting a more upscale mirrored pair of retractables is no more complicated a task than going out and bying any other simple to moderate cosmod. After all, if you can get animated nano-tats, than I don't see why you can't have a glorified pair of shades slide outta your face and over your eyeballs.
Glayvin34
Yeah, you can get cosmetic surgery to make you look like Satan, there's no reason that can't be combined with the protective eye covers.

Edit: It says in their description that they're available in one-way reflective, so that mod would be free.
Squinky
I've always pictured them somewhat like frog eyelids.

And my group plays it where you can get vision mods installed in them, makes sense if you can get mods in contacts.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Squinky)
And my group plays it where you can get vision mods installed in them, makes sense if you can get mods in contacts.

I worry about free stuff. I consider them non-removeable, and if you allow vision mods then I don't see the reason to ever have replacement eyes when you can just put these puppies on.

I've always thought of them as something that was common enough in any shade you can think of as a style issue to make it a non/identifiable feature, and possibly even something disguiseable.
Shev
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I've always thought of them as something that was common enough in any shade you can think of as a style issue to make it a non/identifiable feature, and possibly even something disguiseable.

I dunno, I feel that ANY runner with something that obvious and non-removable is just plain asking for trouble. Runners aren't many, and I think having non-retractable eye covers is like having non-retractable rand razors, or non-retractable anything else: something that gangers have because it's cheaper.

I think a shadowrunner can afford to make his gear less an obvious and non-removable part of his face. Cybereyes can be modified to look normal, but these shades stick out no matter how you slice it, unless you have them as retracting.
WhiskeyMac
They are 100 nuyen.gif and have no availability which means they are as common as goggles, shades and rating 1 cybereyes. Not everyone has them but someone with them won't be looked at with "OMG WTF is that guy wearing" eyes. If a shadowrunner wore them, it would actually help them blend in better because they are so common place.

The BBB doesn't once state what or how the protective covers look. For all we know they just cover from the optical ridge to the top of the cheek bone. Or they are just glorified contacts that provide armor. We don't know. Maybe we should get one of the developers in here to enlighten us.
Squinky
Can't they be clear?

And even if they aren't, I'm pretty sure seeing a dood with funny looking eyes in the shadowrun world is no real big deal.

Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Shev)
(This was inspired by Neuromancer.)

They're the things Molly has over her eyes. They look like surgically implanted glasses, preferably mirror-finished.
WhiskeyMac
The fact that they can be transparent makes me think they are covers over the eyes and not optical ridge covers. If they were optical ridge covers then I could understand someone feeling weird when they see a guy with bubble eyes. Of course, with the downloadable skin feature for cybereyes, you can have someone with biohazard eyes that morph into flaming, laughing skulls when someone looks at them. So, weird eyes probably isnt that much of a problem in Shadowrun.
Shev
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
They are 100 nuyen.gif and have no availability which means they are as common as goggles, shades and rating 1 cybereyes. Not everyone has them but someone with them won't be looked at with "OMG WTF is that guy wearing" eyes. If a shadowrunner wore them, it would actually help them blend in better because they are so common place.

See, some things are are common place might still be a bad idea for a runner to have, in my opinion. Like those unretractable spurs. Sure, they're hardly uncommon, especially among the lower types. That doesn't mean it doesn't mark you, however.

I agree that no one would be freaked out by what he was wearing, but people might start identifying him by that particular piece of equipment. Again, if people start talking about that runner with the 'spurs, you narrow things down quite a bit.

However, at this point, I'm not even sure they're NOT removable. After all, they don't cost essence....

And while a "dood with funny eyes" isn't a big deal in the shadow world, it IS distinctive. Hell, there's a flaw for that. I'm just worried he's basically getting the flaw without getting BP.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Shev)
See, some things are are common place might still be a bad idea for a runner to have, in my opinion. Like those unretractable spurs. Sure, they're hardly uncommon, especially among the lower types. That doesn't mean it doesn't mark you, however.

I agree that no one would be freaked out by what he was wearing, but people might start identifying him by that particular piece of equipment. Again, if people start talking about that runner with the 'spurs, you narrow things down quite a bit.

However, at this point, I'm not even sure they're NOT removable. After all, they don't cost essence....

And while a "dood with funny eyes" isn't a big deal in the shadow world, it IS distinctive. Hell, there's a flaw for that. I'm just worried he's basically getting the flaw without getting BP.

Spurs are highly illegal, the protective covers have no restrictions. The comparison is meaningless.

RAW: Protective covers can protect both cyber and normal eyes. They are available in transparent or one-way reflective versions.

The fact they can be used on normal eyes tells me these are simply an armored contact lenses. The one way reflective doesn't work unless it fits like a contact lenses. Little bubbles just doesn't work.

For those with cybereyes or with eye poking young children. Paying 100 for some eye protection sounds like a sweet deal. Like optional safety features on your car.

If you could get rather cheap one-way reflective contact lenses would you?.
Demerzel
It may be distinctive, but it would be like telling the police that you were assaulted by a guy in leather chaps at a gay pride parade (or a rodeo, same effect). You just narrowed it down to only half a million people.
Whipstitch
Keep in mind that the distinctive style flaw is long dead, actually. You're the GM, how much you want to penalize for a common mod is up to you (after all, I could easily see it ruining a disguise test, and I don't know how common cosmods are in your game in general), I just hope you're mindful of keeping such penalties it consistent. Remember that in SR4 the -lack- of any sort of body modification can actually be pretty distinctive in the right context. And in a world filled with eye recorders (standard in any cybereye! vegm.gif), drones and security cameras, most people that really want to come gunning for you will most likely have at least a mugshot anyway, and can just zap that picture over to anyone with a PAN and an image link (i.e., pretty much everyone). If they don't have a picture of you, then well, you probably didn't screw up badly enough to have many problems anyway.
knasser

Cosmetic eyes are common in 2070. Lots of teenagers have them. Some even display their makers logo. (I imagine plain white eyes with the CK logo on them). Distinctive eyes might help narrow things down a bit when asking around about people, but broadly speaking it's not a Shadowrunner's biggest worry.

And I wouldn't charge extra for anything but the most outrageous cosmetic modifications.
Shev
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ May 1 2007, 12:08 AM)
Spurs are highly illegal, the protective covers have no restrictions. The comparison is meaningless.

I wasn't comparing the legality of the two. I was comparing how both are grafted onto you, and can't be removed or retracted. It's not something unique, but it IS distinguishing.

I could easily see it ruining a disguise test

That's probably my biggest worry. In terms of how distinctive it is, it's probably only about as distinctive as having a scar over your right eye or the equivalent. However, unlike such scars, the covers can't be removed or changed. They're a constant part of your face. When you consider that this is supposed to be a stealthy, sneaky character, it worries me that he's going to have a hard time disguising himself.

In any case, I figure that as long as he realizes it's something that might interfere with his ability to disguise himself, it's his choice to have it.

EDIT-Cosmetic eyes are not the same thing. Their purpose is much less combat oriented, for one. Secondly, they can be changed to look like anything the user wants, including normal eyes.
hyzmarca
But the covers can be removed and replaced. Your eyes can be removed and replaced. Your skull can be removed and replaced. All you need is a good surgeon or a knife, a mirrior, and very little squeamishness.
Shev
Well, if they can be removed with little effort, than I'm worrying for nothing. biggrin.gif
Demerzel
These covers were not designed for combat. They are built in saftey glasses for the power tool crowd. Hell, if it meant I never needed to put on stupid safty goggles that fog up everytime I pull out my Dremmel I would consider going in for them. They are probably even ANSI certified or the SR Universe equivalent for eye protection.

I don't think of them as a Jordi LaForge type of external apparatus, as much as I think of them as a sheath that covers the entire visible surface of the eye, corona and all. They could be clear and not simply visible, or they could be not clear.

As to the issue of disguise If you're concerned about not being able to disguise not having them you should be equally concerned about not being able to disguise having them in a world where they might be very common.
Whipstitch
Cosmetic eyes are not all that different though, really. For one thing neither cost any essence, and in fact, while it is most likely something just missed in the revisions, the protective covers are listed in the tables twice, once under eyeware and once under a category it had to itself: Cosmetics. As for being combat oriented, they're nice to have, I suppose, but they're effectively useless for the vast majority of activities. They only apply the armor to the eye area, which implies that you'd have to make a called shot of some sort to aim for the eyes, which is unlikely to be allowed to happen in any scenario other than bypassing armor actions, which are freakishly rare as it is.
Shev
QUOTE (Demerzel @ May 1 2007, 10:31 AM)
These covers were not designed for combat.

So then, should I say they DON'T give any armor to the eye area? There's a difference between work goggles and something that can potentially stop a bullet. These eye covers can certainly act as goggles, but the fact that it gives ballistic armor, not just impact, suggests to me that these WERE designed with combat in mind.

Cosmetic eyes are not all that different though, really. For one thing neither cost any essence, and in fact, while it is most likely something just missed in the revisions, the protective covers are listed in the tables twice, once under eyeware and once under a category it had to itself: Cosmetics.

I only ever saw the eyeware entry. If it's cosmetic, then I'll guess that it CAN be removed without too much difficulty. Which means that he's not bonded to them until death or surgeon do us part, and that was my only real concern.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Shev)
So then, should I say they DON'T give any armor to the eye area? There's a difference between work goggles and something that can potentially stop a bullet.

They give armor to the eye area. But 2 will never stop a bullet. There is not one gun in SR4 that will be reduced to stun with merely 2 armor. So it's as strong as a leather jacket at stopping bullets, or about what I'd say a pair of ANSI certified safty gogles provide.
eidolon
FYI, as far as Shadowrun milieu is concerned, eye covers look like this.

Feel free to change them if you like, but the standard gear refers to what you see here.
Mr. Unpronounceable
So, am I the only one that always pictured these as cyber-replacements for the inner-eyelid that birds and reptiles have, but humans only hava a remnant of?

More than an armored contact-lens, but less than goggles permanently welded to your face.

i.e. they don't permanently cover your eye - only when you want them to (which would also simplify issues caused by things like tearing, allergies or vision-correction.
ornot
I don't think cyber nictating membranes would really cut it as even 2 points of armour. Something that spans from the upper orbit to the upper cheek bone and is welded either to the bone or the flesh seems reasonable (and cyber-punk). If you're worried about it becoming a bit distinctive, visit A Whole New You and get them removed or replaced with a new holographic display.
eidolon
QUOTE (ornot)
Something that spans from the upper orbit to the upper cheek bone and is welded either to the bone or the flesh seems reasonable (and cyber-punk).
emphasis mine

Ornot for the BIG DAMN WIN.

You are correct, sir.
Demerzel
I think also the batman effect should be considered for game playability/fun reasons.

Ask yourself, why was it noone could ever figure out that Batman was Bruce Wayne? It's only a half mask, and Bruce Wayne is the most famous eligible bachelor in Gotham.

Well, it was for game playability/fun, really in that case you were asked to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story. Well, that's what RPGs are, stories. Figure out why these things aren't going to be a super hinderance to a shadowrunner and there you have it.

Disguise may be a problem if you're trying to be someone specific, but if you're trying to disguise yourself as just someone not you, then it shouldn't be a hinderance. After all you're just another cowboy in chaps.
mfb
i.e. they don't permanently cover your eye - only when you want them to (which would also simplify issues caused by things like tearing, allergies or vision-correction.

everybody knows that getting these means having your tear ducts rerouted to your mouth, so that instead of crying, you just spit.
eidolon
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Figure out why these things aren't going to be a super hinderance to a shadowrunner and there you have it.

Well, for one, they're fairly common fashion accessories. Or at least they are unless you joined the party late. wink.gif

QUOTE (mfb)
everybody knows that getting these means having your tear ducts rerouted to your mouth, so that instead of crying, you just spit.

Damn straight.

*two shadowrunners are walking out of a movie theater*

Sam 1: Yeah, it was a good movie. *spit*
Sam 2: Well, I didn't think it was all that great.
Sam 1: Really? *spit* I thought it was pretty powerful. *spit*
Sam 2: You're crying again, aren't you? Sissy.
Sam 1: I got something in ...dammit.
knasser

Lets put it this way:

Lonestar: Did the perpetrator have any distinguishing characteristics?
Witness: Oh yes - he had natural eyes. No lens or logos or anything.
Lonestar: Excellent.

Normal is defined by what's common. Normal eyes are almost as much a distinguishing trait as covers. If you think you left a witness, just pop into the shop and get your covers tinted a different colour. And apart from the fitting groove which could be concealed, why can't you take them out if they're just covers?
Shev
QUOTE (knasser)
And apart from the fitting groove which could be concealed, why can't you take them out if they're just covers?

I actually like that idea a lot, and I think it's what I'm going to go with. It just makes sense all around to me.
Shrike30
I run 'em as being "armored contacts" style, extending to the orbital bones, that aren't exactly easy to remove. I've got a character who's got the CP2020 style protective covers... traces the brows, radial bones, upper cheeks, bridge of the nose and is one solid piece of glass... gamewise he has the "protective covers" cyber, I just decided to make 'em bigger than they needed to be.

Note that as "armored contacts," there's armor where you might want to put all that microcircuitry. Sorry, folks... no low-light protective covers.
WhiskeyMac
So have we figured that vision mods can be added onto them yet? Seems like a logical step to add them on, especially since they are like armored contacts.
Shrike30
Vision mods can be placed on contacts. "Protective Covers" != "Contacts", even if they go in the same place.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Shev)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Apr 30 2007, 10:30 PM)

I dunno, I feel that ANY runner with something that obvious and non-removable is just plain asking for trouble. Runners aren't many, and I think having non-retractable eye covers is like having non-retractable rand razors, or non-retractable anything else: something that gangers have because it's cheaper.

I think a shadowrunner can afford to make his gear less an obvious and non-removable part of his face. Cybereyes can be modified to look normal, but these shades stick out no matter how you slice it, unless you have them as retracting.

The thing is...if you see a guy openly carrying a modified assault rifle, a polearm, or who has metal claws jutting out of his fingers, you'd probably guess he was a Shadowrunner, or at least up to no good.

A guy with a pair of fancy shades grafted to his face? Not so much. It could be some punk kid, some kind of post-post-modern beatnik, or a wannabe rock star. There isn't anything terribly threatening about eye covers.
Thane36425
In older editions, the eye covers only provided protection for cybereyes from things like grit, dirt, smoke, etc. They were useless against an attack, anything stronger than a stray finger to the eye. A determined attempt to poke out an eye, a knife or bullet would be unaffected.

I never really bothered to think about what they would look like though. They'd probably be noticable and give an odd look to the eyes. But then, my characters with cybereyes had them made to look normal most of the time, but able to turn solid black on command. Really good for scaring annoying children.
hyzmarca
I'm hoping that Arsenal will have rules that can be used to create explosive reactive eye covers, just in case someone tries a called-shot to the eye with an anti-tank rocket. It would also be quite funny for a guy to get killed by ERA shrapnel punching a character in the face.
HappyDaze
It's unlikely that protective covers internal to the eyelids - in a manner like a thick contact lesn - would have the effect needed. Too much sand/smoke/etc. could still get into the eye and cause problems. Becasue of this, the protective cover should cover the entire exterior of the eye.

As far as being permanent and non-removable, I don't see a reason for that. It could be that the cyber-portion of the protective covers is just a few mounting points around the eye. Something low-tech and externally obvious like screw-hole mounts or something subdermal like small magnetic mounts. Just hold the cover in place and attach it when you'll need it and then detach it later when you're done.

There really is no reaso why protective covers could not come with vision enhancements. You have more room to work with than with contacts though probably not quite as much as glasses. Just get them skinlinked and go with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012