Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dark secret
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
djinni
whats a good dark secret for an ex fixer?
Ancient History
Warehouse of plush Lofwyr dolls that you can't give away.
Kagetenshi
Traitor.

Company man.

Corporate sellout.

LE Snitch.

Corporate Cooperator.

Etc.

~J
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Traitor.
there are alot of traitors how would this be a devestating if it got out?
Company man.
which company, and again I don't see a detriment to this
Corporate sellout.
sellout? add a day job to this and maybe we have something. shadowrunners suddenly dissappearing hrm....
LE Snitch.
anyone who gives you info is a snitch, I don't see this as bad either
Corporate Cooperator.
why are the corps bad?
Thane36425
Former recruiter for the Universal Brotherhood?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Warehouse of plush Lofwyr dolls that you can't give away.

rotfl.gif
Straight Razor
1,000,000 nuyen.gif student loan for MIT&T
Ancient History
You did time in county and became someone's bitch.

You're allergic to novacoke and nearly died when you tried to take a hit to impress a girl.

This face? Not really yours. You needed to change your appearence fast and took it off a John Doe at the morgue.

You're a secret SINner, and you owe back taxes.

You made your rep off the crate of Ares Predator IV's you offloaded to the mob last year, but you got the guns from your brother, a quartermaster at Ft. Lewis.

As a teenager, you had to sell your ass to get to Seattle.
hyzmarca
You killed Lem.
BishopMcQ
Even a current recruiter for the UB could be fun...

Triggerman for Winternight

Carrier of HMHVV (unaffected, but able of spreading)

RE: LE Snitch--A shadowrunner who has implanted cyberware to record and transmit information back to KE/LS and the Judas conditioning to go along with it...

For many of the others, I'd say it depends on the campaign. If your campaign is based in the Amazonian Resistance and one runner is secretly an Aztlan collaborator, there could be hell to pay. Dark Secret, like so many other flaws needs to be balanced within the campaign for it to have value.
Shev
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Traitor.
there are alot of traitors how would this be a devestating if it got out?.

Would YOU want to work with/for a known backstabber?

QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Company man.
which company, and again I don't see a detriment to this

Whichever one the locals hate the most. And being tied too heavily to one company in the shadows can end in tears.

QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Corporate sellout.
sellout? add a day job to this and maybe we have something. shadowrunners suddenly dissappearing hrm....

I would think this would mean literally selling runners out to corps. See betrayer/company man.

QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
LE Snitch

anyone who gives you info is a snitch, I don't see this as bad either

Runners don't mind it when people snitch to them. What they dislike is being snitched ON. Particularly to the Law. Someone who has a habit of doing this is going to get a bad rep.

QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Corporate Cooperator.
why are the corps bad?

I think the question is better put, "Why are the corps bad for runners?" And the answer is simply that the more the corps know about the runners, the worse off the runners are.
nezumi
You're actually a run away female bunraku crack whore rodeo clown, and the Yaks have a reward for your return (about 500 nuyen.gif . Bunraku crack whore rodeo clowns are a dime a dozen, really.)

Ancient History
QUOTE (nezumi)
You're actually a run away female bunraku crack whore rodeo clown, and the Yaks have a reward for your return (about 500 nuyen.gif .  Bunraku crack whore rodeo clowns are a dime a dozen, really.)

500 nuyen.gif and a free ZJ.
youngtusk87
He supllied explosives to a group of shadowrunners that turned out to be a terrorist cell so that he's indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of people.
Kagetenshi
Eh? The only thing that makes him unusual in the Shadows is that that's indirect responsibility.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
A few examples from our games:

LS character with family in the mob.

Runner mage who killed his first team to steal a powerful foci

near- vampiric pawn/ex-vamps bitch

Bug shaman - mantis

Spirit pact with evil ass spirit
youngtusk87
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Eh? The only thing that makes him unusual in the Shadows is that that's indirect responsibility.

~J

Well that depends on the GM; how much value does the GM put on an NPC's life? Killing civilians doesn't exactly help Shadowrunner's rep. Or, at least it shouldn't. Personally, I like to keep my games as close to my players' reality in terms of ethics.
mfb
my favorite Dark Secret was a character who had a Good Reputation for being a former Wildcat. the dark secret was that he wasn't.

for an ex-fixer, i'd go with "didn't do his homework". he supplied info/materiel to someone who later turned out to be Winternight or the New Revolution or one of the fallen Tir princes or something.
Lindt
Oh killing people is generally not good for your rep. However selling highly illegal materials to people is kinda, I dunnna know, In His Job Description?

I for one LOVE mfb's example so much Im going to borrow it.
And one of my players seems to have allready taking Nezumi's. Shes a odd ball.
Denicalis
QUOTE (mfb)
my favorite Dark Secret was a character who had a Good Reputation for being a former Wildcat. the dark secret was that he wasn't.

Please tell me this wasn't FF VII based.
mfb
Final Fantasy? i don't do japanese RPGs.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (youngtusk87)
He supllied explosives to a group of shadowrunners that turned out to be a terrorist cell so that he's indirectly responsible for the death of dozens of people.

...gee, that theme sounds very familiar...

"I have some incriminating evidence I want you to plant in this person's car, You will need to do it before the Ferry docks at the downtown pier during the morning commute..."

130 dead commuters later and KK4.2 was off to her old dojo in Kyoto Japan for a very long time.
djinni
alright so the dark secret of legend is home to the HMHVV carrying runaway bunraku crack whore rodeo clown, pretending to be a wildcat who snitched on his johnson to a rival corporation about the prototype lowfyr plushies in a warehouse near the downtown dock. who had his first shadowrunning team plant "incriminating evidence" in a mobsters car just as the ferry docked in the morning when the mobsters were having a meeting about said plushies with lonestar detectives; plushie division as the daily commuters were on their way to work (white noise for the meeting).
knasser
QUOTE (djinni)
whats a good dark secret for an ex fixer?

Ticklish?
nezumi
Hey cool, Mad Libs: Dark Secret!
ShadowDragon8685
Make him a complete and total ponce.

Dark Secret: Not gay.
Kagetenshi
<verb>ed a <noun>, <verb>ing the <noun> and causing a(n) <adjective> <noun>.

~J
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Traitor.

If she was still living in the area with the people she betrayed.

If she betrayed her running team, the current one.

She is currently working for a terrorist organization bent on overthrowing the local government.

Enigma
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (djinni @ May 2 2007, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Traitor.

If she was still living in the area with the people she betrayed.

If she betrayed her running team, the current one.

She is currently working for a terrorist organization bent on overthrowing the local government.

Everyone in the shadows is anonymous and can generally disappear at will. There is very little trust anywhere, and business relationships in the shadows (buying guns, setting up runs etc) are based on trust, as they have to be. Being a traitor of some kind means that people don't trust you and therefore won't deal with you. It's risky enough to trust someone enough to ask them to participate in an illegal activity, imagine making this request of someone you knew to be untrustworthy, or traitorous. It just would not happen.

Dark secrets like being an undercover lone star officer are good because, quite frankly, if you are found out your fixer will have you murdered slowly and horribly and then left in pieces out the front of your home precinct. This is a tame response compared to what any organised crime contacts will do to you and your family.

I have used Dark Secrets of a terrorist past before, as combined with Government File type flaws. Nothing gets the acronyms (FBI, CIA, NSA, SS, OOO etc) gunning for you like being revealed as the guy who planted the fuel-air explosive that killed two thousand people in Singapore.

Depends a bit on the background and character type. A social adept type is easy - anything that would remove their contacts will do it. Deckers could have a past as a "Judas IC" victim (is he cured? can we really take the chance?), riggers can have a past as someone who did horrible things whilst jacked in (killed an entire team that was working with him using drones, therefore how can we trust him to jack in near our team ever?).

I find that comic Dark Secrets are funny for one game and lame for the rest of the campaign.
Telion
you guys forgot works for a dragon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012