Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept in progress
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
X-Kalibur
I'l keep everything in the spoilers just to save on space, so to speak. This is something I threw together over a couple of weeks of just spacing out at work, so I haven't had much time to do much of the character fleshing yet, I just have a basic premise thus far.

[ Spoiler ]
silentmaster101
sinner has a huge impact, no matter the gm type. might want to think on that one, in the end i could never take it for my character. maybe add in there some armorer so you can make your own throwing weapons(hint: caltrops are simply amazing in vehicle pursuits).
Kyoto Kid
...looks pretty good. I would make him human & use the 30 BPs elsewhere. As a human the character would also get 10 BPs back from Edge since they start with +1 to Edge.

If I were to go Meta, I would go Ork due to of the bonuses to Body & Strength (much more useful for having combat oriented powers). I would also consider starting with a Magic Attribute of 5. Again, 25 BPs can go a lot further in skills and Contacts. After the character enters play, you can increase it to 6 (18 Karma) without needing to initiate

The one other thing he/she is missing is Melee. If the character gets into a HTH situation, he's pretty much screwed having only 2 dice. A lot of my characters take Clubs 2 (Batons +2) and get a Stun Baton: 6S(e) damage with +1 reach Since it is an electrical attack it reduces impact armour by 1/2 & has some good side effects. If anything it could buy the character time to get away.

For contacts, Most GMs I know do use the "Blakkie Rule" of 2 x CHA for free contact points.

QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
But really, who wouldn't want to pull a Lucky Number Slevin and kill a guy with a baseball?

Speaking of "killer with a baseball... "

I reworked my Baseball throwing, Bat swinging Tomoe Sasaki as an adept. (she was originally all bit but with the change in resources cap almost impossible to set up this way in SR4). She is pretty tough. Doesn't have all the Social skills of your adept, but she is pretty deadly with a baseball (also has Power Throw + Missile Mastery) even for being just a mere human non augmented adept with a 5 MA.
X-Kalibur
You make some good points, I think I might go back to my original idea of a 4th wall breaking character that throws dice and CDs as weapons, add in a little melee skill for fun... although then I'm tempted to take up killing hands and elemental strike, lol. Give him knowledge skills in tabletop gaming, statistics, fun stuff like that.

<edit> or for real fun, give him clubs (Fender) and use a guitar for a weapon biggrin.gif
psychophipps
Another fun one, if your GM allows it, is Power Throw with Aikido-type martial arts. Want to have fun? Toss that guard across the whole room and have them still impact the far wall about 4 feet up...

Or you could just toss them through that handy-dandy tenth-story window,
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
WhiskeyMac
I don't think that Vision Enhancement stacks but you might want to ask your GM about that.

I would suggest getting rid of Improved Sense: Thermographic Vision. The 5BP you are spending on it isn't worth the benefit received from it. Just wait until in-game, and tell your GM you wanna get some uber-contacts (Flare Comp, Image Link, Low-Light, Smartlink, Thermo, Ultrasound, Vision Enhance 3, and Vision Mag with Skinlink: 2275 nuyen.gif ). If you have the standard Fixer contact from the book, who has a CHA 5 and Negotiations 5, make the Extended Availability test for you then you could be looking at getting those contacts within 18 days. [This is based on 4 successes per 2 day interval on 10 dice] You could go without Thermographic Vision for that period without experiencing to many problems.

Another option would be to get a micro tag sensor attached to your goggles that has a camera with thermo and skinlink for only 250 nuyen.gif . Your range is only 100m but that should be good enough not to get you killed.
Glyph
Two things leaped out at me:

You spent 38 points on social skills, buying them individually to get one specialization, but for 2 more build points you could get the Influence Group at 4, which is a much better buy.

For any adept based on throwing weapons, Quick Draw is a must-have power.

Other suggestions - Agility Boost: 1 is a good, cheap way to improve your Agility if you eschew bioware. You definitely want a melee skill, especially with no dodge. With your decent Reaction, you could maybe get away without ever using full dodge, but in melee you would really be hurting. Specialize in parrying or blocking for the most advantage.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
<edit> or for real fun, give him clubs (Fender) and use a guitar for a weapon  biggrin.gif

...I can see it now, his street handle is "El Kabong". silly.gif

Of course you have make it his weapon focus (Tomoe actually has an Easton aluminum composite bat as her WF).
Whipstitch
My brother's in the stages of planning an ork street fighter adept w/enthralling performance and guitar as a performance skill. He wants to see if he can talk the GM into allowing a scrimshaw guitar pick as both a weapon focus and as a performance attuned item. It sounds far from practical, but how could you say no to that? Although I expect waaay too many pick of destiny jokes already.
X-Kalibur
Alright, taking some advice I've modified the character. Tell me what y'all think (I'm getting that much closer to having a completed character out of the... dozens that I've started on and never finished)

[ Spoiler ]
silentmaster101
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I don't think that Vision Enhancement stacks but you might want to ask your GM about that.

I would suggest getting rid of Improved Sense: Thermographic Vision. The 5BP you are spending on it isn't worth the benefit received from it. Just wait until in-game, and tell your GM you wanna get some uber-contacts (Flare Comp, Image Link, Low-Light, Smartlink, Thermo, Ultrasound, Vision Enhance 3, and Vision Mag with Skinlink: 2275 nuyen.gif ). If you have the standard Fixer contact from the book, who has a CHA 5 and Negotiations 5, make the Extended Availability test for you then you could be looking at getting those contacts within 18 days. [This is based on 4 successes per 2 day interval on 10 dice] You could go without Thermographic Vision for that period without experiencing to many problems.

Another option would be to get a micro tag sensor attached to your goggles that has a camera with thermo and skinlink for only 250 nuyen.gif . Your range is only 100m but that should be good enough not to get you killed.

problem with contacts is it says in RAW IIRC that they melt and get ruined when subjected to any type of gas/chemical attack among other things.
Kyoto Kid
...you gotta make his bass axe a weapon focus. grinbig.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...you gotta make his bass axe a weapon focus. grinbig.gif

But I did! check it more closely nyahnyah.gif

The contacts are not meant to be used under the goggles either, they are mutually exclusive items.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012