Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Netbook Concept
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Reaver
So, I'm in the process of creating a netbook for Shadowrun in 2803. Now, this Netbook is firmly meant to cover the return of the Horrors, so if you don't like that story arc, do me a favor and take your flamethrower to the Drop Bears thread. wink.gif

The premise is, the Scourge has come and completely ravaged the planet, but thanks to various reasons, metahumanity was able to push out into space... barely. There are the various stations and colonies on the moon and Mars, as well as corporate start ups in the asteroid belt. Humans have not really gone much further however. Corporations are in almost full control of everything, yet stills fosters a strong shadow community (for obvious reasons). Needless to say, the typical corporate backstabbing is still as present as ever. There are also a few independent areas that eke out a living.

The corporations have turned somewhat fuedal in thier practices, with directors and senior managers being treated like Dukes. Such high ranks are alloted certain numbers of wage slaves and project areas from which they are required to churn out whatever product it is they are supposed to produce. Wage slaves are hardly any better than serfs, with just a more guilded cage. The corporation offer all manners of diversions to allow a wage slave to burn off stress.

On Earth, things are a total mess. Much of the planet has ben turned into a ravaged wasteland. The Horrors, however, have not acted like they did originally. Instead of just wanton and wholesale slaughter, many of the major horrors have actually taken control of major cities and control large slave populations. Metahumans are viewed far more as cattle by the horrors than ever before.

There are a few bastions of freedom on the planet, however. First there are the two Tir's, both of which seemed to know about the Scourge way ahead of time. Rumors persist that they have always known and never bothered to share that with the rest of the world. Needless to say, there is a lot of annimosity between the other metahuman factions and the Tir's. No one knows what goes on within the protected borders of the Tir's and no one ever comes out.

Then of course there are the corporations, primarily Ares and Saeder-Krupp. Both corporations starting building elaborate barrier systems that went active not long before the Scourge actually happened. That would lead most to believe they'd been warned in the nick of time. These barrier systems are a fusion of both magic and technology, and no one has figured out how they were constructed or where the designs came from. (Think similar to the barrier cities in Final Fantasy).

Earth is a big place. however, and isn't all under to ever watchful eyes of the horrors. Small communities may exist deep in the wastelands where Horrors have already long passed. Rumors persist that proteus AG survives somewhere deep within the oceans. Even on the surface, shadow runners still exist, often seemingly at the behest of the Horrors. A great shadow war has been on going for the last two decades, as the horrors have leaned that brute force is not working to remove the remaining pockets of resistance on the planet.

Then finally there's the Matrix. Oddly enough, the network has survived to some extent on Earth. Granted it depends on what area you talk about. Barrier cities have full wireless matrix nodes, while Horror maintained cities may have full nodes to no network at all. Sometimes weak access lines ar still found to be active across the wasteland, although how and why is unknown. Outside the barrier cities, the Matrix is just as ravaged and twisted as the real land. Aside from brown and black outs, it is rumored that insane AI's and even Artificer himself have presences that can kill the unwary decker.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what does all this mean? Well, I've started to flesh out some ideas, but it still requires a lot of work and I know we have some really talented people in the SR community. I also know I don't have a huge ammount of spare time. So, the project would need lots of different talent. Writers, ideas, art, etc. The different corporations still need to be fleshed out, as well as the Horrors. Different areas of the Matrix. Different areas of the world. Critters, guns, gear, rules, the list goes on and on.

So, if you're interested in being part of the project, let me know. I'm working on a writer's bible to give some inside glimpses at what's behind the scenes... like why the Horrors appear to have "settled down". If you aren't serious, don't bother asking, but at the same time, if you only want to do something small, you're still welcome. If all you want to provide is a small blurb on magic working on Mars, you're more than welcome to pitch in. smile.gif

Anyway, let me know what you think. Oh, and yes, when things get more into focus, there will be a call for beta testers. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
A few things:

The megacorps have "turned" feudal? What are they now?

As for the current state of the Earth, I think you should probably review the descriptions of the greater Named Horrors. You're pretty much describing how they already act, in several cases.

Also, the idea that Space is safe haven is seriously questionable in editions before Fourth.

~J
sunnyside
I thought space was always an astral deadzone?

Anyway maybe move up your date. At the rate things are going (In SR and real life) we should be all over mars way before 2803, and you'd expect society to have changed wildly in that much time. Or is that a typo and you meant 2083?
Reaver
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
A few things:

The megacorps have "turned" feudal? What are they now?

As for the current state of the Earth, I think you should probably review the descriptions of the greater Named Horrors. You're pretty much describing how they already act, in several cases.

Also, the idea that Space is safe haven is seriously questionable in editions before Fourth.

~J

By turned feudal, they've developed into the aspect of "you're title equals how much you are given" idea. Let's use the director of R&D for Ares Luna. George Martin has been promoted (due to the sad and untimely death of his predecessor). As such, he is given a luxurious home. He also is given a department of wage slaves which is simillar to a feif. He can do as he pleases with his feif so long as it continues to make its quota and he makes the CEO happy. If you fall out of favor or fail to make quotas, you can end up with your title removed and find yourself with the wage slaves. For the most part, there's probably not a lot of difference between 2803 of 2070 as corporate interrelations go, but for some reason I could see them becoming more feudalistic in thier behaviors. Especially with the stock market gone. The economy has become a control factor to keep everyone in line. And while to corporate court still exists, even it is more of a "league of nations" than what it once was.

As for the Horrors, when reading through earthdawn material, most seemed bent on wiping out populations in short order. Not using humans as a constant, breeding livestock. They never gave most of the Horrors the impression of having a sense of balance or settling down. They'd find a village, kaer, etc. and slowly infest it and then bleed it dry. Once they were done, they'd move on to the next meal down the road. At least that's been my impression.

As for space, you're right. It's not completely a safe haven. But I don't want to give everything away so early. wink.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (sunnyside)

Anyway maybe move up your date. At the rate things are going (In SR and real life) we should be all over mars way before 2803, and you'd expect society to have changed wildly in that much time. Or is that a typo and you meant 2083?

Space is not an astral deadzone, its a mana warp. There's a difference. It is possible to cast in space IF you can survive the massive drain.

No, I meant 2803. Think about it. The Scourge would cause a near collapse of everything. It would be a major, cataclysmic event. Supply lines would be disrupted and even terminated. Economies collapse. Billions die. The loss of resources would cause a back slide in technology that would take time to regain. And while the netbook is designed to start in the year 2803, the Scourge actually happens in 2112.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (sunnyside)

QUOTE (MitS p85)
Beyond level 5 background count, the mana flow becomes corrupt and astral space is dangerously polluted and contaminated, a situation known as a mana warp.

QUOTE (MitS p86)
Outside Earth's living aura, however, mana warps are the norm. Space is virtually devoid of life, which distorts the mana field and raises the background count to mana warp levels.

Bolded emphasis added.

QUOTE (Reaver)
As for the Horrors, when reading through earthdawn material, most seemed bent on wiping out populations in short order. Not using humans as a constant, breeding livestock. They never gave most of the Horrors the impression of having a sense of balance or settling down. They'd find a village, kaer, etc. and slowly infest it and then bleed it dry. Once they were done, they'd move on to the next meal down the road. At least that's been my impression.

Notable Horrors not operating like this (and disregarding those like Chantrel's Horror, Ne*is, Ysrthgrathe, and The Tempter, who target individuals or small groups, or Ristul, who… is Ristul) include Bone Crown the Usurper, Nemesis, and several more from Scourge Unending. Twice Born, I think, was one of them.

Even among those that despoil a town, not all bring swift ruin. See Joie, for example—though deaths will be common, a town can last for a long time under that kind of assault.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
You might want to scan this thread by Dentris from a while back. He had a few similar things in mind.
Reaver
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ May 15 2007, 05:34 PM)
You might want to scan this thread by Dentris from a while back. He had a  few similar things in mind.

I'd seen that thread, but I didn't like the path that it was going on. While I do have some plot twists in mind, the idea behind SR 2803 is to create an environment where metahumanity is slowly fighting back against the Horrors. Ultimately it should be a victory they attained on thier own... even if it would be a long, hard road.

And I don't want to give SR 2803 an Earthdawn feel. While the Horrors will obviously be the main theme, the plan is not to bring back anything else from Earthdawn, like the T'Krang and Obsidimen.
fistandantilus4.0
Thought it might be nice to have for reference.
Reaver
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Thought it might be nice to have for reference.

Oh yea. Thanks for the post anyway. Help is always appreciated. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Reaver)
metahumanity is slowly fighting back against the Horrors.

frown.gif

~J
Reaver
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Reaver @ May 15 2007, 07:45 PM)
metahumanity is slowly fighting back against the Horrors.

frown.gif

~J

Can you be a little more vague Kagetenshi? I almost understood you. wink.gif
nezumi
2803... I'm just wondering what you're going to do about the technology gap. If you went to 1274 and asked them to write a story about 2007, I'm pretty sure they'd be missing a lot of critical stuff, even more-so since technological developments have been getting faster as time goes on. And since technology (including magical technology) is humanity's primary defense against the horrors, this is going to be a serious hitch in your plan. What is the technology of 2800 like? I can't imagine.
Reaver
QUOTE (nezumi)
2803... I'm just wondering what you're going to do about the technology gap. If you went to 1274 and asked them to write a story about 2007, I'm pretty sure they'd be missing a lot of critical stuff, even more-so since technological developments have been getting faster as time goes on. And since technology (including magical technology) is humanity's primary defense against the horrors, this is going to be a serious hitch in your plan. What is the technology of 2800 like? I can't imagine.

I wouldn't say that they are extremely high tech. A lot of technology and research was lost during the chaos that the start of the Scourge created. After that, a lot of resources had to go in to just continuing to survive. Stations and colonies need food, air and water to survive. At the start, they also had small populations and not a lot of space for population growth. Needless to say, surviving factions had painful, and often slow growth issues.

Not to say that they aren't at a higher tech level than the 2070's. Corporate armies are typically armed with lasers that carry thier own magazine-like batteries. Freebooters, independents and shadowrunners typically still use traditional firearms (because they're cheaper). The bigger corps are flirting with plasma weapons, but are still in the development stages.

Fusion rockets are used to travel between destinations in space, and they have become quite efficient. FTL is still at the holy grail stages, although not much research is being put into it. Fusion power is typically the norm, and the corps have actually refined the technology to the point where you can have a fusion power generator that's about the size of a refrigerator and can do a good job of providing power for a housing domicile.

Magic has had to go through some painful evolution to survive in the mana warped areas of space. Still, mages have learned to survive over time and cast compitently in space. New metamagic talents were also discovered that helped increase one's spell potency when casting in deep space. Typically in deep space, high ranked initiates reign supreme.
Chibu
I'd pitch in, but the time you want to make it is bad. This is for a couple reasons. First, if tech keeps going like it is now, everything would be so advanced that we cannot even begin to speculate as to what we would have, or if tech gets destroyed, it's a copmletely new game that have to be remade.

However, if you were making it say... in 2080, (or rather, in 2070 and ignoring the published material in 4th edition =D) Then i'd probably be up for it as we run horrors and the like in campaigns all the time. In fact, we're running a crossover campaign for SR/ED right now. Also, one of the campaign books i was working on was going to have horrors in it too.

In my opinion, I think the horrors would be coming back alot sooner this time than they did in Earthdawn becuase there are so many people. Alot of people means alot of STUPID people, like Voodens who get themselves in too deep and accidently make a new bridge (see: uhm... that ED/SR crossover novel...). But yeah, there are some horrors and horror constructs here already in 2054, as per Harlequin's Back, so I don't see why they would be waiting until 2800 to get here. It just seems too long to me. Everything magical in SR is accellerated becuase of the Great Ghost Dance, and this should be the same as well.

On a similar note, I've heard people say that the SR designers want to get away from horrors and are not gonna publish any more material relating to them. But, taking a look throu8gh a copy of Street Magic tells me the exact opposite. The book is FULL of horrors and horror references.

Also, Some of the things that are talked about in YOTC, the astral beings that Ghostwalker kills, seem alot like horrors to me. That's not exactly to say that I really know all that much about horrors, but well, my group HAS also been playing an ED campeign almost every week for the past 2 years. (I <3 horror Stalkers).

But yeah, I basically don't want to write info for an entire new world is all.
Reaver
Well, first off, the Scourge doesn't happen in 2803. The Netbook just starts in 2803. The scourge has already been well under way by the time 2803 comes around.

In the timeline I've set up, the Scourge "offcially" starts in 2112. smile.gif
Chibu
Well, that's cool. I dunno, it's probably just me, but I'm just uncomfortable, or maybe just not confident in my ability, with the idea of going so far into the future like that. I just don't think it would really still be Shadowrun is all. And i love shadowrun alot and don't want to mess it up by trying to see things that far in advance. Shadowrun was even a stretch with being 70 years ahead in time. most cyberpunk is only about 30 years in advance, which is why it's usually pretty accurate as to what might happen. Going that far though... I just don't know if anyone, especially myself, can pull it off.
Aristotle
Interesting.

I started to do something very similar, but decided I wanted my own history and took the project in a very different direction. I ended up just using d20 Modern, the horrors became demons and (rarely) angels, etc.. But a lot of the rest sounds very similar.
Chibu
QUOTE (Aristotle)
Interesting.

Yeah, it is interesting. I think my problem is that I'm just too cyberpunk for the year 2803. =\
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012