Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting Mentor Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
Ok I have looked thru Frank Trollmans conversion but it does answer what I am seeking. I am seeking input what many here feel the 4th ed stats for the below.

From MitS

Animal Totems

Gecko

Fast moving and always on the lookout. Gecko is impossible to pin down. He is a prankster but not a thief. Extremely adaptable and difficult to kill. Gecko always manages to get into places he should not go. Unfortunately, he often brings his friends along for the fun.

Environment: Anywhere
Advantage:+2 dice for illusion or manipulation players choice, +1 die resisting any type of poison.
Disadvantage:-1 die for combat spells

Nature Totems

Moon(note this is Moon not Moon Maiden which in MitS is Idol Totem)

Moon is changeable and secretive. She sees much from her high vantage point and keeps many secrets hidden from prying eyes under the veil of night. Moon is also a transformer, ever changing, unknowable. Moon shamans always take the subtle approach. They prefer to keep a low profile and act through subterfuge.

Environment:Wild places far from civilization, or in hidden corners of the city.

Advantages: +2 dice for illusion and transformation manipulation spells, +1 dice for detection spells, +1 die for spirits of the waters.

Disadvantages:-1 die for combat spells. Moon shamans must make a Willpower
(6) test in order to engage in direct confrontation. Negotiation is not considered confrontation(Moon loves discussion), but arguments do fall into that category.

One I Have yet to find in any version of Shadow Run

Chameleon

TIA

WearzManySkins

nathanross
For Gecko:

+2 die for Illusion spells, +2 to resist toxins
-1 die for Combat spells

Sound good?

(I dont even know where to start on moon, isnt there a moon maiden totem?)
Wasabi
I personally prefer to stick to RAW and merely rename the totem. For instance, Gecko is a sneaky bish so I'd use the Rat Mentor Spirit's stats and merely roleplay that it was Gecko.

Just my way of doing it I suppose...
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Wasabi)
I personally prefer to stick to RAW and merely rename the totem. For instance, Gecko is a sneaky bish so I'd use the Rat Mentor Spirit's stats and merely roleplay that it was Gecko.

Just my way of doing it I suppose...

Exactly what is RAW?
NightmareX
Rules As Written

Wasabi - That's one way to do it, a rather boring way IMO, but one way. I prefer to innovate (or at least convert) once and a while wink.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (nathanross @ May 15 2007, 11:42 PM)
For Gecko:

+2 die for Illusion spells, +2 to resist toxins
-1 die for Combat spells

Sound good?

(I dont even know where to start on moon, isnt there a moon maiden totem?)

Well I would make it for Gecko

+2 Dice for Illusion or Manipulations player choice
+2 dice to resist toxins
-1 die for combat spells

Moon

+2 dice for illusion and transformation manipulation spells

-1 die for combat spells. Moon shamans must make a Willpower+Charisma (3) test in order to engage in direct confrontation. Negotiation is not considered confrontation(Moon loves discussion), but arguments do fall into that category.

Since all the RAW mentor's only have at most 2 advantages, I dropped the +1 dice for detection spells, +1 die for spirits of the waters.

As for Chameleon

In nature chameleon blend into their surroundings, and due to their eye arrangement are very aware of what goes one around them.

They preferred method of attacks is lightening quick ambush.

As for the blending...Illusion spells, mask and camouflage being spells that would work.

Awareness of surroundings....Perception or Detection...

+2 dice for Illusion spells, +2 dice Perception or Detection spells player choice.

If chameleon must make a Charisma+Willpower(3) test to attack in a non surprise/ambush combat.

As for just renaming one totem to be another.....no not for me.
pbangarth
Any ideas for Squirrel as a totem? I've had a hankering for years to make a shaman by the name of Jidamo Joe (Jidamo, accent on first syllable, is 'squirrel' in Ojibway), but I haven't settled on Squirrel's characteristics.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (pbangarth)
Any ideas for Squirrel as a totem? I've had a hankering for years to make a shaman by the name of Jidamo Joe (Jidamo, accent on first syllable, is 'squirrel' in Ojibway), but I haven't settled on Squirrel's characteristics.

I seem to recall at one time seeing the stats for a Squirrel totem.

From what I recall it had something about being prepared in depth for most every thing.

It is not in MitS, I will look and see what I can find.
Aaron
Gecko:

+2 dice for Illusion spells, +2 dice to sell car insurance
-1 die for combat spells
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Aaron)
Gecko:

+2 dice for Illusion spells, +2 dice to sell car insurance
-1 die for combat spells

Do not forget the -2 dice in negotiations with Cave Men. smile.gif
WearzManySkins
Taken from NERPS Shadowlore

Panther/Mountain Lion/Cougar, Puma, Catamount and others

Panther goes by many names and faces. He is Panther, others She is Puma and others know It as Mountain Lion. Panther likes it that way, for Panther believes in stealth. His prey never hears him, before he strikes. Puma is a great warrior, but prefers the stealthy approach, for it does not go off half cocked. Cougar is very patient and quiet, he will wait for the right moment to strike. Panther tends to try and protect mankind and innocents from harm. Puma is mostly solitary but will sometimes have close companions who she will defend to the death. Cougar kills quickly and will the most efficient means to do so. He also tries to leave as little evidence of his acts. Mountain Lion hates Evil and will try and hunt it down and slay it.

+2 dice for combat and illusion
Must have a minimum Reaction(quickness) of 3 and Intuition(intelligence) of 3, Puma believes in attacking prey intelligently and quickly. Panther also believes that her shamans must have be able to hunt and kill with out magic(the need to take stealth and either unarmed combat or blade combat). When in the midst of a large group of combat shaman must make a Willpower+Charisma(3)test to stop fighting as his instincts tell him to keep lashing out.

Quirks
Puma is not a coward, he will attack powerful enemies if need be, but will try to shift the odds in his favor and will wait for the right moment and not charge right in. Panther shamans are known to be quiet individuals and will not get into needless arguments or discussions. Cougar shamans are known for using the bare minimum words or gestures when doing magic, they do not like to be noticed. The shaman will use the name he or she feels most comfortable with in talking about his/her totem, for the shaman realizes that they all describe the totem equally well.

Note the use of all the different names and he/she throughout the text was intentional. After all its Orou said-"Panther believes in smoke and mirrors."
Wasabi
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Rules As Written

Wasabi - That's one way to do it, a rather boring way IMO, but one way. I prefer to innovate (or at least convert) once and a while wink.gif

RP is never boring if done right, its just emphasis on fluffy bits not crunchy bits. I'm all for adding crunchy rules that add color but their game balance always seem to be off kilter.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (pbangarth)

That's problematic, since from the standpoint of the Ojibwe, the Totemic animals are the Crane, Catfish, Loon, Bear, Marten, Rein Deer, Wolf, Merman, Pike, Lynx, Eagle, Rattlesnake, Moose, Black Duck or Cormorant, Goose, Sucker, Sturgeon, White Fish, Beaver, Gull,and Hawk Warren. There's no Squirrel Totem in that culture, so there's no mythic resonance for Squirrel to impart.

You could throw out to other cultures, in Yoruba, for example, the Squirrel is Oforo and is a skilled climber and a masterful and honest farmer. Game mechanically he'd do something like this:

Advantages: +2 Dice for Health Spells, +2 Dice for Climbing Checks.
Disadvantage: Must make a Charisma + Willpower (3) test in order to attempt to gain advantage over another by means of lies.

Probably not super good for a Shadowrunner, but then Oforo is a traditional victim of Shadowrunners. Ananse literally conducts runs against the fields of Oforo and creates false data trails to launder the stolen grain.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
*note to self : make Loon shaman*
WearzManySkins
Interesting Frank, what sources can you site for what you have posted?
fistandantilus4.0
Anyone else ever wonder if Frank has the first skill wires and just slots Knowsofts all night long?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Interesting Frank, what sources can you site for what you have posted?

You're going to start off with some information about the Ojibwe Clans, but you can also get some off of the Ojibwe Culture Sites. But really you get a perfectly adequate overview by just going to the Appropriate Wiki - which in this case is "Anishinaabe Clan System" naturally enough.

There's a perfectly adequate translation of The Squirrel and the Spider available Here.

And there's the translation for the word "Squirrel" in over one hundred other languages Here.

With a passing bit of data search you can source pretty much anything.

-Frank
NightmareX
QUOTE (Wasabi)
RP is never boring if done right, its just emphasis on fluffy bits not crunchy bits. I'm all for adding crunchy rules that add color but their game balance always seem to be off kilter.

Very true all, I just find the RAW approach of just renaming totems and throwing there description/mechanics into an entirely new culture/circumstance to be rather clumsy and uninspired. I suppose it saved space though.
WearzManySkins
Interesting... you only have what you have found on the internet. frown.gif FYI I do not have a Abrahamist religious point of view.

But in the Way of the Shaman, the Totem chooses the shaman. Yes the character does not choose the totem, but the player does.

In Shadowrun, most Shaman do not have a Houngun like structure of spirits they use. But I must prefer the MitS presentation of the Loa of the Houngun.

In the era of Shadowrun, I see the spirits are not bound by the limited view of todays or yesterdays totems and spirits.

So each shaman, has his Totem chosen by his player, now whether or not the player comes up with a RPing angle for his totem, is up to that player and/or his GM.

Using a West African view of the Squirrel is up to you, but for North America view I see differently.

Besides Yoruba is from West Africa, to me more Houngun based I see them. But in West Africa they do not use squirrel.

The orisha are listed as Aja, Ayao, Olokun, Ọṣun, Oya, Yemaja, Aganju, Babalu Aye, Obàtálá, Oduduwa, Ogun, Olokun, Orunmila, and Shakpana.

FYI using wiki based information, is not as accurate as most believe regarding religions non main stream religions.
Wasabi
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Wasabi @ May 16 2007, 11:02 PM)

Very true all, I just find the RAW approach of just renaming totems and throwing there description/mechanics into an entirely new culture/circumstance to be rather clumsy and uninspired. I suppose it saved space though.

I like to preserve rules balance myself. Its one method, and certainly not the only one and not the best one for all situations. Perspectives being individualized and all that... smile.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Wasabi)
I like to preserve rules balance myself. Its one method, and certainly not the only one and not the best one for all situations. Perspectives being individualized and all that... smile.gif

True again cool.gif I think preserving rules balance can be done without resorting to the RAW approach, but to each their own.
pbangarth
Thanks, Frank for those links to Ojibway clan totems. I will hang on to those.

Along the lines of what has already been mentioned, one should differentiate between clan totems, which are manifestations of the cultural links among people, the roles they play amongst themselves, and personal totems, which are guides and helpers. Some totems can serve both roles, but there could be others that are only one or the other.

Squirrels seem like such ubiquitous and feisty creatures, I can't imagine there not being a Squirrel who talks to individuals. That's the entity I am trying to figure out.

I pick the Ojibway name because my wife and I lease cottage property on a First Nations reserve in Ontario, on "Jidamo Lane". The name Jidamo Joe rolls off the tongue really well, and I think some of the animal's characteristics would be fun to translate into SR terms.
FrankTrollman
Interesting... you only have what you have found on the internet.

Not quite.

I can only share what is on the internet because we're communicating through the internet. Primary sources and even books don't translate terribly well. So one is forced to flip to Google and type in what you've been saying in order to find someone else saying it to give a "source".

For the Yoruba there are both gods (which actually include most of the Voodoun Loa) and there are totem animals. And it's really hard to get information on the totem animals, especially ones that don't tie directly with the Aláàfin. I mean it's fairly easy to find descriptions of totem animals for the Aláàfin, but just try to find familial totem animals on the internets for farming families, craftsmen, or fishers - it's a tough uphill battle. The Oriki of those people have a tendency to be less imperial than Erin the elephant, and express other qualities - like the farming and honesty of Oforo.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012