Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's an RFID world
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kigmatzomat
Bermuda is going to RFID tag all the vehicles. With mobile scanners they'll be able to track cars and issue speeding tickets automagically.
Kagetenshi
*Adds to list of places not to go*

~J
Reaver
Ah the joys of using law enforcement for revenue collection. sarcastic.gif
djinni
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Bermuda is going to RFID tag all the vehicles. With mobile scanners they'll be able to track cars and issue speeding tickets automagically.

in the united states all the cars manufactured after 2000 have a tracking system in them, they just don't use it, since there are people who pay for that service. once they make it free then there are going to be alot of upset americans
Kagetenshi
Source?

~J
Shadow
I just bought a new car and I was told if I wanted it lojacked that it was extra and that it did not come with any kind of tracking device. It's cheep enough to have it installed though.
eidolon
djinni might be thinking of the black box type device that actually is in a lot of cars now, which records things such as speed, distance traveled, etc. There was a bit of a stink regarding them being used to determine fault in accidents, etc. That's about all I can remember at the moment.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, but that's not exactly the same as RFID. The black boxes don't track your whereabouts, they just log statistics about your vehicle (speed, braking, erratic driving, engine warnings, etc.).

He could be talking about OnStar, but that's far from built into every car. It's only built into cars from one manufacturer, and I believe the devices are still only put in for people who opt for the service.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012