Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Natured Critters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magus
Quick question, how would a DN (dual natured) critter attack a Projecting Mage using a weapon focus? The mage uses his Astral Combat skill with Magic Attribute + weapon focus damage rating + Force, correct? So what does a Ghoul for example use? They do not have Astral Combat as a skill, they are DN and have Natural Weapon (claw) as damage modifier. So how do they hit said projecting mage?
Jack Kain
The same way they hit a non-projecting mage.
Jaid
QUOTE (Magus)
Quick question, how would a DN (dual natured) critter attack a Projecting Mage using a weapon focus? The mage uses his Astral Combat skill with Magic Attribute + weapon focus damage rating + Force, correct? So what does a Ghoul for example use? They do not have Astral Combat as a skill, they are DN and have Natural Weapon (claw) as damage modifier. So how do they hit said projecting mage?

well, first of all, they can't really. oddly enough, you can't default on astral combat. so unless they invest in astral combat, they pretty much just flee in terror.

assuming they do have astral combat, i believe they just use the regular astral combat damage. no bonuses for claws or anything like that, as i understand it.
Nocturne
QUOTE (Jaid)
well, first of all, they can't really. oddly enough, you can't default on astral combat. so unless they invest in astral combat, they pretty much just flee in terror.

Odd quirk, that. Makes sense I suppose, but for "naturally" dual-natured critters you'd think they'd have similar innate skill in dealing with astral threats as physical ones.

If/when it comes up in my game, I'd probably houserule that most dual-natured critters that are at all combative have astral combat at the same rating as their physical combat skills. Still, they'll have to use mental stats, and move at meatspace initiative, so a lot of dual-natured critters are going to be much easier to deal with astrally.
Mistwalker
I usually give the dual natured astral combat equal to their normal combat.

Nocturne, their stats do not change. They are not astrally projecting, they are always astrally perceiving. Big difference.
Nocturne
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Nocturne, their stats do not change. They are not astrally projecting, they are always astrally perceiving. Big difference.

SR4, p184:
Astrally perceiving and dual natured characters use their Physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Willpower + Astral Combat skill to fight wholly astral entities.

So yeah, that barghest fighting an astral mage is a bit more screwed with having to use Willpower in combat. But I was thinking wrong about initiative, that doesn't change for the barghest (it will be as fast as it always is, but astral mages/spirits will be a bit faster).
Lorka
My house rule on this is that dual beings see astral beings as physical ... flying and super fast but not different from physical beings.

Thus they use there agi + relevant combat skill and not the will + astral combat nonsense.

To me a dual natured being have lived with the astral and physical at the same time since birth (or hatching or whatever) and thus for them there is no difference.

For mages its different since they impose thier will on the astral to percive and project.

But mostly its because I like dual natured beings to be badass smile.gif
I like that Barghests and Hell hounds are a rare thing to see as security and it should be a challenge to face, not something that a half incompetent mage can slay faster than he could a drunk watcher spirit.

You face a huge wolf-dog creature of fire and brimstone it pounch on you and ... yes will I roll lets see 2 dice for will ohh wait its a default so 1 die and its a critical glitch the thing stumble when it tries to nimble your ankle and break a leg ... in fact now that you look more closely its just a typical dual being or kitten as you have begun calling them since they are as threathing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012