Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ork Adept Build
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tvjunkie
:: Notes About the Game ::

Our group has decided on a basic background.

Our characters all have prior experience with each other because we all work for the same corporation in some capacity. There will be a downfall and we are to be ejected from the corp. and we join together.

What the GM has in store beyond that we do not know.

While discussing our group concept one person mentioned that a common link might be food, gourmet food to be precise. Actually it was presented to us as guerilla gourmands and we all thought that sounded pretty cool. Not sustainable by itself, but a unique hook.

I chose to play an ork adept. I imagine at some earlier time his relationship with security design was to defeat it. But after a while working on the other side for a corp sounded like a better deal.

In keeping with the foodie idea I took the alcohol addiction and knowledge chemistry-brewing. My thought being that he made his own beer and other alcohols and that a typical meal would revolve around beer. Yes, including breakfast.

Ork - Adept

Body 4
Agility 5
Reaction 4
Strength 5
Charisma 2
Intuition 4
Logic 3
Willpower 3
(170BP)

Edge 2
Magic 6

:: Adept Powers ::
Improved Reflexes lvl. 1
Gliding
Traceless Walk
Power Thrower lvl. 6
Quick Draw

Athletics Group 2
Dodge 2
Exotic Ranged 2
- grapple gun
Etiquette 1
- mafia
Computer 2
Perception 2
- taste
Blades 2
- combat axe
Thrown Weapons 5
- knives
Locksmith 2
Hardware 2
- maglocks
Artisan 1
- cooking
Unarmed Combat 2
- martial arts
Infiltration 2
- urban
(136BP)

Moderate Addiction -10
- alcohol
Sensitive Neural Structure -5
SINer -5
- corporation
Sensitive System -15

PK Security Procedures 4
- corporate
PK Security Design 3
AK Chemistry 3
- brewing
English N
Japanese 3
SK Security Companies 2
IK Fabrication 2
- welding
SK Seattle Mafia 3
SK Seattle Street Gangs 1

:: Contacts ::
Corp. Security Guard Connection 2 Loyalty 4
Fence Connection 3 Loyalty 3

Starting Nuyen 45,000
Jaid
a throwing adept without missile mastery? weird...

anyways, you probably won't need dodge, and i don't think you need exotic weapon (grapple gun) if you want to use it as a grapple gun, only if you try to shoot people with it nyahnyah.gif

all around a fairly well built first character, imo.
tvjunkie
:: Equipment ::

Combat Axe 600
Throwing Knives (30) 600
Shock Gloves (2) 400
Camouflage Suit 1200
- Thermal Damping lvl.6 3000
- Nonconductive lvl.4 800
- Custom (knife holder) 150
- Custom (axe holder) 150
Armor Jacket 900
- Fire Resistance lvl.6 600
Armor Vest 600
- Nonconductive lvl.3 600
- Custom (knife holder) 150
- Custom (axe holder) 150
Endoscope 250
Lock Pick Set 300
Mini Welder 250
Smoke Grenades (5) 150
Maglock Passkey lvl.4 8000
Myomeric Rope (30m) 600
Grapple Gun 500
Rope (200m) 100
Glue Sprayer (3) 450
Fake License lvl.4 400
- Combat Axe
Fake SIN lvl.3 3000
Certified Credstick 1000 Ny. 1025
Medkit lvl.5 500
Toolkit - hardware 500

45000 Starting Nuyen

19075 Nuyen

:: Comlink & Programs ::
Hermes Ikon
-Rsps.4(5)/Sig.3(4) 3000
- Skin Link 50
- Satellite Link 500
- Response Lvl.5 4000
- Signal Lvl.4 1000
Subvocal Microphone 50
- biometric reader - voice 200
- Skin Link 50
AR Gloves 250
- Skin Link 50
Contacts 50
- Skin Link 50
- Flare Compensation 50
- Image Link 25
- Vision Magnification 100
- Biometric Reader -retinal 200
Earbuds 10
-Skin Link 50
- Audio Enhancement lvl.3 300
- Select Sound Filter lvl.4 400
OS/Novatech Navi
- Fw 3(4)/Sys.4 1000
- Firewall Lvl.4 2000
AGENT Lvl.3 3000
ENCRYPT Lvl.4 400
ANALYZE Lvl.4 400
BROWSE Lvl.4 400
EDIT Lvl.4 400
COMMAND Lvl.4 400
REALITY FILTER Lvl.4 400

19075 Nuyen

90 Nuyen remain
IvanTank
If I were you're GM, I would disallow that certified credstick, as it is just a cheap way to get around the whole starting Nuyen deal.
tvjunkie
QUOTE (Jaid)
a throwing adept without missile mastery? weird...

anyways, you probably won't need dodge, and i don't think you need exotic weapon (grapple gun) if you want to use it as a grapple gun, only if you try to shoot people with it nyahnyah.gif

all around a fairly well built first character, imo.

Do you think missile mastery would be a fair exchange for traceless walk? I had originally been thinking of this character as a second story B&E type. ...but that was 3 or 4 revisions ago.

Maybe I'm being sentimental with traceless walk and should look at leveraging the throwing.

Thanks for the grapple gun note. That frees up some points.
tvjunkie
QUOTE (IvanTank)
If I were you're GM, I would disallow that certified credstick, as it is just a cheap way to get around the whole starting Nuyen deal.

I was following someone else's lead on that. I can dump it with no problem.
Jaid
QUOTE (tvjunkie)
Thanks for the grapple gun note. That frees up some points.

well, check with your GM, but that's how i'd handle it... you don't need unarmed skill to pick up objects in your bear hands, you need unarmed for beating people up with your bare hands. similarly, you don't need grapple gun skill for grappling walls, you just need it when you get desperate to shoot that ganger in the face with one nyahnyah.gif
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Jaid)
... unarmed skill to pick up objects in your bear hands, ...

If you have bear hands you should probably have a street doc and organ-legger on your contact list. rotfl.gif

The common consensus is that dodge is a mostly useless skill, as you have gymnastics 2 as part of the athletics group, and that works as dodge in most circumstances. I'd drop dodge for another level of the athletics group or another point of reaction. Your passive defense (reaction) is going to be a big help in not being shot. Right now, you have 6, but as you appear to be primarily a combat character, you might want to try squeezing out a point or two more. If you can generate a miss with passive defense, you don't have to soak the damage at all.

You might also want super smell/super taste as an adept power; it's only .25 power points and gives you a real leg up on the food tasting.

Your security design skills appear to be learned at a corp employee. If so, then why is your etiquette specialization in ‘mafia’ rather than ‘corp’?

I don't see driving as a skill, pilot ground craft (cars) is just 6 points. How do you get around?

Remember that using a combat axe on people will cover you in blood and gore. Is your character psychologically ready to chop people to death? Consider a stun baton or shock gloves as your primary close combat option instead. If you dropped blades you could get unarmed combat of 4 instead. Close combat is largely about the amount of dice you can throw, since the passive defense id reaction + close combat skill.

I'd also consider dropping down to magic 5 (saving 25 points) to improve your breaking and entering related skills.

Ravor
However, make sure that you check, because it seems to be a fairly common House-rule that Gymnastic Dodges are somewhat limited in where they can be performed in order to give the Dodge Skill somewhat of a fighting chance.

Also just to chime in, I too wouldn't allow that credstick, but its possible that your DM is nicer then I am. cyber.gif
silentmaster101
QUOTE (Ravor)
However, make sure that you check, because it seems to be a fairly common House-rule that Gymnastic Dodges are somewhat limited in where they can be performed in order to give the Dodge Skill somewhat of a fighting chance.

Also just to chime in, I too wouldn't allow that credstick, but its possible that your DM is nicer then I am. cyber.gif

for his particular background i would allow a certain limit, in sense with his character, maybe a pension he withdrew before things went to hell, or a savings from work, maybe limit it to 5000 nuyen.gif or 2500 nuyen.gif

WearzManySkins
You can not use Full Defense Gymnastics Dodge in Astral Combat or in Rigger Combat.

Again like some have a house rule about using Full Defense Gymnastics Dodge in situations where your movements are restricted.

To me Dodge has it uses.
toturi
If, as a house rule, your GM is ruling that Gymnastics is useless in a certain situation, then find out how you are going to be able to Dodge and if Dodging has any penalties. Dodging in situations where your movement are restricted is just as difficult. So find out first.
Aaron
Do not underestimate the power of Combat Sense. Just sayin'.
tvjunkie
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
I'd also consider dropping down to magic 5 (saving 25 points) to improve your breaking and entering related skills.

2 pts. Improved Reflexes lvl. 1
1 pt. Gliding
1 pt. Traceless Walk
1.5 pts. Power Thrower lvl. 6
.5 pt. Quick Draw

So, while I like the idea of 25BP to throw at B&E skills - what do I cut?

Gliding is an option, really cool, but not all around useful.

With a myomeric rope and gliding one could almost duplicate traceless walk - all be it (magic) meters at a time.

I could drop quick draw and reduce power thrower to lvl. 4.

Since I am not too familiar with the mechanics, what is the least effective point I could shave - from a min/max POV?
Ravor
Well for starters unless your group is using a house-rule on the cost of Adept Powers, drop Improved Reflexes and get your extra IPs as well as any Stat Boosts you want from Bioware. Its my understanding that from a min-max POV Adepts should burn 2 Points of Magic for cyber/bioware.

*Edit*

Also, check and see how your DM is planning on handing out Edge, because you might want to cut corners elsewhere to bump up your Edge if he/she refreshes your full Edge Pool fairly often.

*Edit 2.0*

Hmm, although in general I'm a huge fan of making sure that everyone stats out their commlink with programs, I'm not so sure that you would get much use from your Reality Filter program since you aren't really going to be doing much if any Decking based on your skills. In fact, you might want to think about shaving some nuyen.gif by dropping your Programs to Rating 3 in order to match up with your Agent. (Make sure that you keep Encryption at the highest your Commlink can handle though.)

Also unless your DM plans on taking you into the deep Barrens or out of the 'Plex fairly regulary you might want to question whether or not you really need a stat uplink. (Also find out how big your DM rules them to be.)

As a general rule, unless you really need the extra dice from day one, buy Specializations with Karma instead of Build Points.

I'd find a way to bump Perception up to at least Rating 3 if not Rating 4, as well as figuring out a way to get Vision Enhancement Rating 3, you want as many dice as possible to detect ambushes.

Buy Spoof at the highest Rating your Agent can handle.

Also generally speaking, if your DM will allow you to buy a custom commlink using the rules in the Wireless Chapter, you'd be better off doing so instead of buying off the self links...

*Edit 3.0*

Oh and above all else, as long as your DM isn't a min-maxer don't worry about squeezing every last point you can, even at 400 BP Fourth Edition characters are plenty tough enough provided your DM remembers that on average the NPCs you face will rarely have more then 6-8 Dice to roll in their primary focus.
Nocturne
QUOTE (tvjunkie)
1.5 pts.  Power Thrower lvl. 6

If you go to Magic 5, remember that you'll have to drop Power Throw to 5 at most anyways, since you can't get a higher rating on adept powers than your Magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012