Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone or Vehicle with a big gun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SirPentor
(Sorry if this has already been didn't see anything when I searched.)
I'm building a rigger and I'd like to (eventually at least) have some big guns on a vehicle or drone. The rule appears to be that vehicles can only have LMG or smaller weapons mounted, though. This seems to rule out things like rockeet-launchers.

This doesn't make intuitive sense to me, so I assume that either I don't understand the rule correctly or it's there for "balance purposes". Can someone enlighten me? Thanks:)
IvanTank
It means "Wait for Arsenal"
SirPentor
QUOTE (IvanTank @ May 22 2007, 06:00 PM)
It means "Wait for Arsenal"

Aha! That's awesome.

Amazon says it's supposed to come out in March 2007. Hmmmmmmm.
Jaid
"smaller than an LMG" is very unspecific. clearly an MMG or an HMG is bigger, but how do you decide if a grenade launcher, or a rocket launcher, is bigger? is a PAC bigger or smaller? we don't really know.

ultimately, it allows for at least some wiggle room... i would personally allow rocket/missile launchers, but would reduce the ammo from standard for a weapon mount (250 rounds) to probably the standard for the weapon, maybe a little bigger.
IvanTank
QUOTE (Jaid)
ultimately, it allows for at least some wiggle room... i would personally allow rocket/missile launchers, but would reduce the ammo from standard for a weapon mount (250 rounds) to probably the standard for the weapon, maybe a little bigger.

Oh come on, we all know that missiles and bullets are all the same size. smile.gif
SirPentor
QUOTE (Jaid)
"smaller than an LMG" is very unspecific. clearly an MMG or an HMG is bigger, but how do you decide if a grenade launcher, or a rocket launcher, is bigger? is a PAC bigger or smaller? we don't really know.

That's a very good point. I kind of wish weapons had a dimension or size rating, you know? I know next to nothing about guns in real life and I find it hard to envision some of the weapons.
MaxHunter
You can always google up some images. Also you can go look at sites pointed out by Raygun, Austere Emancipator and others. -Search their posts.

It's amazing what I have learnt about guns and miltech vehicles just by being around in the forums for a while.

Cheers,

Max
lunchbox311
OK quick rule then. After interpreting whether a weapon is larger than an LMG or not; once that is done I say if you want one larger than an LMG it will take 2 weapon mounts to put up but you do not get the extra ammo storage bonus for it.

Also I figured divide the ammo count by 10 for grenade launchers. Also outside of the 2 barrel rocket launcher the others are all one shot use anyway.

So for my quick and dirty purposes I would say a greanade launcher is smaller than an LMG (as in real life) and can hold 25 minigrenades.

Rocket launchers would be bigger and take 2 slots (the one in the book holds 8 rockets which is sufficient for me.)

MMG's and HMG's would take 2 spots and have 250 rounds.

Panthers would take 2 spots and hold 25 rounds.

Sound reasonable?
sunnyside
Actually if you want detailed stuff (weapon sizes etc) and you don't want to wait I'd suggest using rigger 3. Just use body /3 rounding down for rigger 3 "body" and I think things work out fairly well.

You actually might find yourself still looking to rigger 3 a little depending on what arsenal actually covers whenever it comes out.

Actually since rigger 3 isn't the current edition are we allowed to post stuff like weapon sizes or how to turbocharge an engine?

At any rate since at least second edition what SR4 calls a "weapon mount" was known as a "firm point" and is used for mounting light weapons (LMGs and the like).

For a larger weapon you need a "hard point" which require two "firm points". You'd be able to mount everything in the SR4 book on a hard point. (So good guess Lunchbox311)

You can then trade in hard and firm points for turrets. Supposedly one of the SR missions had something of rules for these for this edition. But previously turrets let you hold less than you'd be able to mount just on a firm/hardpoint. a "firmpoint" turret can hold something SMG/rifle sized or smaller for example. multiple hardpoints can be used to get really big turrets which let you field military sized weapons (such as the main gun on a tank or the more modern railgun).

Missle racks require some expensive launch control systems but don't take up firm or hardpoints. But they made the better missles very heavy and expensive.
Lagomorph
the method I came up with was adding a "heavy mount" for drones and vehicles, you can only add a number of heavy mounts up to body/4 (compared to a normal mounts body/3).

Actually, I do it a bit differently, mounts take up a certain number of body points. Normal mounts are 3 points, Heavy Mounts are 4 points.

That means any thing with body 3 can take 1 normal mount.

A Body 4 vehicle can mount either a normal mount or a heavy mount.

A body 7 vehicle could hold 2 normal, or 1 normal and 1 heavy

A body 9 vehicle could hold 3 normal or 2 heavy. Or any combination adding up to a number less than or equal to the body of the vehicle.

I supose it wouldn't be too unreasonable to add a light mount at 2 points for pistols and smgs, for when you want to arm those really small drones.

Oh and for "smaller than an LMG" I think they meant "any weapon after the LMG weapon in the heavy weapons list" is not allowed.
WhiskeyMac
The ArmTech MGL-12 is "smaller than LMG" size. It's bullpup and probably roughly the size of an Ares Alpha.

I'd go with the 2 weapon mounts for "bigger than LMG" sized weapons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012