Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few magic-related questions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HappyDaze
Can a magician with Extended Masking cover Quickened spells while still appearing as a mundane/non-magician? The text states that spells and foci so covered appear as "normal fluctuations in her magical aura" - the word 'magical' seeming important.

Specifically, we have a Grade 3 Initiate (Magic 9) with three Quickened spells (Increase Agility, Increase Reaction, and Increase Reflexes). Can the character mask himself as a mundane or is appearing as a Magic 6 magician (or adept...) the best option availalbe to him? Either way, there should be no traces of the Quickened spells unless the Masking is pierced.

This is probably an easier question: Is it possible to design an Ally Spirit and a Binding Focus for that Ally Spirit together at the same time? The intention would be that the Binding Focus would be the original Spirit Formula for the Ally Spirit. It seems thematically appropriate, but is it legal?
Cheops
I'd say yes for the first question since a quickened spell is just a spell being sustained by karma (so it is more costly than a sustained spell normally is).

For the second I'd also allow it. I'm not sure about the rules but I'd make it a little more difficult to craft than a normal binding foci but significantly easier to bond due to its limited effects.
HappyDaze
I'd say yes for the first question since a quickened spell is just a spell being sustained by karma (so it is more costly than a sustained spell normally is).

So is that a 'yes, can appear as a mundane while extending masking to cover active spells/foci" or "yes, must still appear magical while extending masking to cover active spells/foci"?
Ravor
Considering that Extended Masking is an advanced Meta-Magic I think I'd allow it to cover up Quickened Spells while still looking 'mundane', although the Aura might not look 'quite' right fluff wise it wouldn't stand out enough to send up alarms.
Ancient History
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
This is probably an easier question: Is it possible to design an Ally Spirit and a Binding Focus for that Ally Spirit together at the same time? The intention would be that the Binding Focus would be the original Spirit Formula for the Ally Spirit. It seems thematically appropriate, but is it legal?

Not sure I completely understand the question, but let me see if I get it: you would like to concurrently design the focus formula for a binding focus and an ally spirit formula, and you want the physical form of the binding focus to be the physical representation of the ally spirit formula?
Dashifen
I agree as well. I think the spirit of the Ex. Masking rules were to allow the covering of sustained spells, foci, etc. while still appearing mundane. You're right, the specific wording doesn't seem to reflect that, but perhaps the SM Errata will help out there.

As for the second question, I don't know that I would allow it. If I would, like the other poster said, it should be harder to make but easier to bond. Frankly, though, I'd just talk the player into crafting a normal Binding focus and using it during the ally conjuration and binding as normal unless there's a rule with respect to ally conjuration which prohibits the use of bonding foci.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Not sure I completely understand the question, but let me see if I get it: you would like to concurrently design the focus formula for a binding focus and an ally spirit formula, and you want the physical form of the binding focus to be the physical representation of the ally spirit formula?

Interesting ... I thought he meant that he wanted to design a specially enchanted binding focus that would only be used to bind Allies which could then be used to bind the ally but nothing else. Sounds to me like the player's shooting to get extra dice when binding the ally.

That being said, using the binding focus as the physical representation of the ally formula is a great way to hide the location of the formula. I'd think that most Nefarious People wouldn't think twice about a mage with a focus, but a potent ally spirit's formula might be a target considering the benefits that even moderately powerful ally spirit can provide.
HappyDaze
Sounds to me like the player's shooting to get extra dice when binding the ally.

Absolutely correct. However, this is not abusive (IMO) since it is costing extra time and Karma to make and bond to the Focus.

It is certainly possible to later enchant the Ally Spirit Formula into a Focus. It would not be usable during the initial Binding, but would be helpful anytime a Ritual of Change was performed.
Kazum
what about normally sustained spells? are they visible, when masked?
Cheops
QUOTE (Kazum)
what about normally sustained spells? are they visible, when masked?

Yes they are visible when masked but not with extended masking. With extended masking you can mask (Initiate Grade) number of sustained spells, etc. The thing is the rules don't explicitly state quickened spells as part of that list. However it seems fine.

I took the second part to mean that the foci could ONLY be used to bond that ONE ally spirit. I have absolutely no prob with that. Makes sense thematically and for many of the traditions makes MORE sense than general foci.
Ancient History
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
Sounds to me like the player's shooting to get extra dice when binding the ally.

Absolutely correct. However, this is not abusive (IMO) since it is costing extra time and Karma to make and bond to the Focus.

It is certainly possible to later enchant the Ally Spirit Formula into a Focus. It would not be usable during the initial Binding, but would be helpful anytime a Ritual of Change was performed.

Okay, my interpretation was interesting 'cause it was the first time I'd heard of a recursive formula, but as to the bonus dice: no. Read up in Street Magic on Aspected Enchantments.
Dashifen
I'd forgotten about that. Either way, though, making it an enchantment with an aspect for the bonding of this ally seem to me to be more restrictive than the normal 50/50 on to off ratio for most geas (to which the RAW compares aspected enchantments). Thus, I'd still allow it since the player is still working thematically within their concept and really just making the focus less useful than it would be otherwise. Especially since binding foci are, iirc, one of the more easily bonded foci with respect to karma costs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012