Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possibly old news, but...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SuperFly
Cool Display Tech

...that I just know has probabaly been mentioned before, but it's still good stuff.
Kiedo
Thats very intersting, I'm going to see if I can find the video they mentioned in the article.

One thought does come to mind though, the article mentioned the technology used organic compounds, would this mean that it was biodegradeable or perhaps have a shelf life. Would a new display need to be purchased annually perhaps? The idea seems insignificant with the astounding technological breakthough Sony has announced but, consider the cost of replacing decaying displays even factoring in Moore's Law, this could be quite costly.
psykotisk_overlegen
That is really neat. Getting a high quality picture like that on such a thin display is truly impressive. How long until we get wallpaper-tvs do you think?

@kiedo
One thought does come to mind though, the article mentioned the technology used organic compounds, would this mean that it was biodegradeable or perhaps have a shelf life.

That might actually be a problem. For all I know Sony may have found a way to work around this problem, but according to wikipedia it has been a problem with organic based displays.
The biggest technical problem for OLEDs is the limited lifetime of the organic materials. In particular, blue OLEDs typically have lifetimes of around 5,000 hours when used for flat panel displays, which is lower than typical lifetimes of LCD or Plasma technology. But recent experiments have shown that it is possible to swap the chemical component for a phosphorescent one, if the subtle differences in energy transitions are accounted for, resulting in lifetimes of up to 20,000 hours for blue PHOLEDs. [20]

The intrusion of water into displays can damage or destroy the organic materials. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing and may limit the longevity of more flexible displays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012