Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Equipment Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Swing Kid
I couldn't find anything in the rules on this, so I figured I would drop the question into the forum. If I wanted to get non-cyberware based vision enhancers (lets say goggles for this question) with more than one enhancement (or all of them in the book for that matter, just to set an extreme example), is it only the Availability that limits how much I can get, or is there a rule somewhere that I am missing that acts as a limit. If Availability is the only concern, then would I go with the highest modifier, or would I have to add them together?
MaxHunter
IIRC, per RAW, availability is the only limit, and you have to add them together.

Here in the forums some people are using some capacity house rules to limit how much people can put inside contacts, glasses and goggles. -Particularly contacts- I do not remember exactly which were the limits, but I am sure they are quite easy to find if you search.

Cheers,

Max
kzt
The other bit to remember is that a vision enhancement for your normal eyes has to put out light in order to be useful. So eyeglasses with NV enhancement means you are walking around in the dark with a lit up face, and with contacts you have glowing eyes.

Cool effect, but not exactly subtle.
Swing Kid
I am thinking mostly for goggles anyway.
WearzManySkins
Here is a link to the discussion on how much you can cram into the various devices

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...hl=vision&st=25

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...hl=vision&st=50

Availability will hold down what a beginning character can have.

Aaron
QUOTE (kzt)
The other bit to remember is that a vision enhancement for your normal eyes has to put out light in order to be useful. So eyeglasses with NV enhancement means you are walking around in the dark with a lit up face, and with contacts you have glowing eyes.

Huh?

Jack Kain
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (kzt @ May 27 2007, 04:45 PM)
The other bit to remember is that a vision enhancement for your normal eyes has to put out light in order to be useful.  So eyeglasses with NV enhancement means you are walking around in the dark with a lit up face, and with contacts you have glowing eyes.

Huh?

What he said

"Huh?"
Jaid
i think his point is that for your ordinary eyes to see the screen/whatever, it's gonna have to be light-based nyahnyah.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (kzt @ May 27 2007, 04:45 PM)
The other bit to remember is that a vision enhancement for your normal eyes has to put out light in order to be useful.  So eyeglasses with NV enhancement means you are walking around in the dark with a lit up face, and with contacts you have glowing eyes.

Huh?

I believe that his thinking is that the biowear "Cat Eyes" acts like a cats, a RL cat's eyes glow in due to the reflection of the light back into the optical system of the cat. So having Light Intensification in glasses, contact lenses, etc, causes them to glow also.

On this point I disagree.
Swing Kid
Most of it could be liquid crystal display or some variant, in which case there shouldn't me enough light to cause any problems (especially right next to normal eyes).
Nocturne
I don't believe present-day retinal display lasers emit any significant light to a nearby observer. The micro-miniature versions of 2070 almost certainly don't.
WearzManySkins
Or if you are using a wireless link/DNI to bring the images directly to the brain.
kzt
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

Huh? [/QUOTE]
What he said

"Huh?"

Your eyes can't see anything that doesn't emit light. That's why there are backlights in a loptop, so you can see the image on the LCD. So if you have glasses that allow you to see in the dark they have to produce enough light that your eyes can see them.

So if you are walking around with an illuminated display a 1/2 inch from your eyes in a typical set of glasses anyone in the darkness is going to see the light reflecting off your face. The same thing with contacts, though in a different fashion.

Goggles work a lot better for covert use because they seal the edges against your face so no light leaks out.

Just because you an do something doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it for all purposes. NV in a pair of glasses might be great for changing a tire on the side of a dark road, it's no more ideal for sneaking through the woods than are the sneakers with the LEDs that light up with every step.
Aaron
Ah. That makes far more sense than your last post.

I don't think I can agree about the contacts. The pixels can be one-sided. In fact, when switching modes, I can see making the outside opaque to prevent just that effect.

I'm with you on the glasses, though.
WearzManySkins
Another way it can be done,

Mega glasses/goggles etc transmit the visual information via wireless to comm link, once at the comm link, into the brain via a data jack or if the comm link is implanted via DNI.

Also the glasses can be severe wrap around style, I have used some that do not allow light in at all, if light can not get in, light can not get out. smile.gif
Jaid
light may not have been able to directly hit your eyes, but i guarantee it got in indirectly.
psykotisk_overlegen
Mega glasses/goggles etc transmit the visual information via wireless to comm link, once at the comm link, into the brain via a data jack or if the comm link is implanted via DNI.

Then you'd be broadcasting your LOS to any hacker interested, I'd at least encrpyt that. Or even better, skin link, you'll be wearing those goggles over your face anyway won't you?.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (psykotisk_overlegen)

Then you'd be broadcasting your LOS to any hacker interested, I'd at least encrpyt that. Or even better, skin link, you'll be wearing those goggles over your face anyway won't you?.

Yes but said hacker would have to be within 1 meter due to the signal strength.

If wished to hack my vision enhanced glasses, while he is doing that, I will be seeing how many times I can rapidly insert my combat knife. Damn knives never have smartgun links to hack. biggrin.gif

Or if he around the corner, roll a surprise to join him there while he hacks. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
3 meters for signal 0 iirc.

and after rereading some parts of the book, i would say that inside a office (or a mall for that matter) that may well be enough if the connection points are packed tightly enough...

as in, the security spider (or a mall rat hacker doing the jumpy signal trick) could be in some secure location and still mess with your visuals.
WearzManySkins
Yes but again the mage could cast Turn Wireless Signal to Perfume too.

Talk about Dump Shock.

In this game there are no super persons with out some weak point or points. Yes a hacker could but most of my characters, their appearance/threat rating would not make them a high priority for such a hack.

The ones that have the Threat Rating to be "Chosen" for such a hack, all of their cyder wear except for the implanted comm link is wireless. And under most combat that implanted comm link is upgraded to the SOTA, so a quick hack will not happen. biggrin.gif
Aaron
Hey, I just thought of a really good reason to have your cyberware wireless: your teammate is a technomancer.

hobgoblin
feel free to expand on that one...
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

If you were referring to me, check out the topic Turn Wireless Signal to Orange Fresh Smell. smile.gif If not, meo cupla.
Jaid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

if you strictly follow the RAW, a TM does not have the ability to connect to stuff except via wireless. therefore, if you wish to allow your TM to get in and protect your stuff, i guess you need to keep it wireless.

of course, what your TM would have to defend your non-wireless stuff from is an unsolved mystery, but that's beside the point nyahnyah.gif
Aaron
Why one should have wireless cyberware with a technomancer teammate:
  • The Diagnostics sprite power grants bonus dice to the user of a device that is usually equal to about two-thirds of the sprite's Rating.
  • Machine sprites get the Diagnostics power.
  • Technomancers can compile machine sprites.
Any more questions?
Demon_Bob
A couple of directional jammers and suddenly everyone wants a skin-linked system.

Contacts have a +6 availability, and we are just going with a max availability after character creation of 16 for now.
Ravor
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 28 2007, 06:29 PM)
Why one should have wireless cyberware with a technomancer teammate:

• The Diagnostics sprite power grants bonus dice to the user of a device that is usually equal to about two-thirds of the sprite's Rating.
  • Machine sprites get the Diagnostics power.
  • Technomancers can compile machine sprites.
Any more questions?

Yeah, why wouldn't you just install a Datajack and then temporarly subscribe your Cyber via DNI connections to allow your Techno to work his magic as needed and remain off line the rest of the time?

Or for those that don't buy the fact that your cyberware can still talk to each other via DNI then why not only turn Wireless on long enough for your Techno to upload the Spritefor its Remote Task?
HappyDaze
Another way it can be done,

While it may be assumed, I think it's important to note that you'd need a Sim Module to use sensory data brought in from an external source (such as your goggles/glasses).
hobgoblin
at least the datajack comes with a sim module iirc.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
at least the datajack comes with a sim module iirc.

??? That I do not recall reading.....
hobgoblin
hmm, is my memory failing me already?
psykotisk_overlegen
Datajacks do not include sim modules, the sim module is a separate piece of headware. However, an external sim module is only 100 nuyen.gif , and I think they can be made small enough to fit in a pair of goggles, so no problem.

mfb
datajacks have to come with sim modules. otherwise, you wouldn't be able to slot BTLs with it. even if you say that BTLs come with an external sim module, or something, you still wouldn't be able to connect to another datajack user with a simple fiberoptic cable and communicate without a sim module.
Eryk the Red
Sim modules are a separate piece of headware listed, so I would say no, the datajack doesn't include it. It doesn't say in the datajack text that it does.

I'd say BTLs require you to have a sim module to use them (you can slot them without it, but they won't work). As for the direct fiberoptic connection, I don't regard that as simsense, so I don't see the need for a sim module. It's just a special built-in function. The datajack has whatever it needs to make it work, which wouldn't need to be a fully functioning sim module given the limited capabilities of such a connection.
WhiskeyMac
I disagree with the glowing glasses thing. The book states that glasses have directed lasers that draw the image straight onto your retina so no glow eminates. You could probably see it if you were pressed up against the person's head or at an angle were their head was under yours (looking down your nose at them for example) but you wouldn't be able to see anything, just a beam of light going towards their eyes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012